My experience hitchhiking with a folding bicycle

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This was an okay method for travel, but it was kinda half assed. While I had the benefit of bungeeing my backpack to my strangely shaped bmx sized bike, I was getting passed by mountain bikes, and played leap frog with joggers as I took smoke breaks. Hitchhiking was awkward because of the bike, even though it folded, and bicycling great distances was awkward because the bike was more of the little engine that could than something built for a trip.

It was a blast in cities, and thanks to that bike, I realized how much I enjoy bike riding, but I wouldn't choose that bike for travelling again.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
What bike did you use? A lot of folders seem cumbersome for traveling with, but others are ideal. I honestly wouldn't travel any other way but with my Dahon Speed Uno. It's practically been a religious conversion experience.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
changed your title slightly to be more accurate.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hi there - we've had some inquires here about distance travel on the folders and you nailed it.

One of the men in my one bike club writes travel books based on his explorations via his Joe Friday bike (I see him in the city trucking around all the time). He is probably 5' 4" ish tall and his Friday fits him. The small wheels fit him and his city commutes as well as his commuting abroad between cities. He enjoys his bike with carrying case on the trains in the UK as well as air flight. Long distance - he did it slow -as he was writing about it but also notating his speed/miles.

Doc Road

Reaction score
With this Turn, aluminum frame,steel fork, bob job front basket,rear rack, started in Vinice LA to Orovill last summer. And onother stretch from Lairmi WO to no bullshit,fuck me Sturgis SD, later in the summer. Was too heavy to hop out witch was in mind but did get plenty of rides with all that shit dispite plenty of shit from road dogs,. Anyways.. I would try hoping with the folder,less some gear but I have a way cooler faster more capacity (Canondale fram, Surly Oger cromoly fork) mountain racer I just can't wait to live with out and about,on the streets,Hiways ,train yards,someone's bus!. just can't imagine life without at least a unicycle, and I do give props on the strangth and lower weight of Turns folder. Found it on Craig's for 250,new runs 700$.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads