MSR Whisperlite multi fuel stoves | Squat the Planet

MSR Whisperlite multi fuel stoves

D

Deleted member 2626

I had used a pocket rocket for years and this past the threads wore out so I bought a walmart similiar design for like 17 bucks. I love these stoves but want to get away even further from waste and the semi seclusion of having to buy these canisters at certain places. The whisperlites are not cheap at all but I have the funds and some more work on its way so figure I can swing it. But wanted to inquire as to anyone else who has one or utilized one before. I see you can burn gasoline and diesel and white gas and kerosene but I wonder as well, will they burn alcohol too? And I guess I'd walk up to the pump and dispense it into the fuel canister? Hypothetically just the drizzle that comes from some pumps may fill a canister.Let me know how they work for you if your someone that really used them a lot for a decent amount of cooking as I normally do. thanks to all

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
It's been a long time, but I have put gasoline through a SVEA 123. Pretty much anything that burns white gas/camp gas will take gasoline. Diesel might be a bit harder to get to burn clean since it is more dense than gasoline, kero or white gas.

The worst thing you would have to do is dump the fuel that doesn't work out and clean the main jet on the stove.

I might not try alcohol since it is so light and burns so clear that you wouldn't know you had a problem until the damn thing blew your hand off.

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I had a Whisperlite before. You can burn any type of fuel but if you swap and switch you might clog the fuel line and have to clean it...its been a while but I believe you can get the cleaning kit with purchase. Mine lasted for a few years until it corroded away. Think it was just a defective one or I stored it improperly. I would fill up the canisters with gasoline or diesel at the gas station. I wanna say one canister was about 2 to 3 meals. Cooks shit really fast, very portable and the fact the canisters take any fuel is what I found most appealing. Nowadays I am lazy...most the food I eat is canned and if I want a fire I just make one. If you have room for it and don't mind the extra weight I say go for it. If REI still sells them try to see if you can nab the floor model for discount price...sometimes they do this and you'll get it much cheaper. Good luck man.

Reactions: Antlered

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I have an MSR XGK EX and an MSR whisperlite. I have had the XGK many years( got it in 08) and use it hard when I use it. I lived off it for close to a year one time.... Hitched thousands of miles with it. Easy to clean, I put an annual maintenance kit in it just this year. When I took my only rings out they were still good. I replaced them anyhow. It boils a litre of water in under two minutes.... It's tough!!!!! I can drop it toss it throw my bag whatever, I'm not worried about it! The only down side is that it is kinda loud. Sounds like a jet engine close up. But can hardly hear it at 30 feet (tested this myself). I use 91octain petrolI as much as I can becouse it is cheep (sometimes free) its everywhere and the stove runs best using it. I have run deisl, white gas and kerosene in it as well. Runs like shit on deisl but it runs... only recently purchased the whisperlite for my girlfriend and used it one time with 91 octain petrol. It boils water just as fast, it is a very quiet stove seems to be stable when cooking even on soft ground. Only downside is it is not half as tough.... Built of wire and I would have to put it in a pot to feel even close to safe carrying it. Hope this helps.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
@Tatanka you ever decide on a multi fuel stove? I have one In need of a home. Fuck its free to the person who will use it. Brand new.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Wisperlites are one of the best stoves out there IMO. I used one for a few years in the forest service. If you have the repair and cleaning kit, it will last forever.

I probably wouldnt burn alcohol with it.

D

Deleted member 28930

i got myself a primus omnifuel works great on gas and petrol! didnt tried diesel yet but it can burn diesel aswell...

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Refill adapters so you can refill your butane canisters with cheaper more widely available lighter refill canisters. Or there's adapters for your stove head to attach to those green propane canisters.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads