1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

motorcycle trampin?

Discussion in 'Bike Touring' started by eskimo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. James Meadowlark

James Meadowlark sola dosis facit venenum
    Lifetime Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    I work in the healthcare field (non-clinical)
    Address:
    Gainesville, Florida, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +43 / -1
    I love riding motorcycles, and have a nearly ten-year-old Triumph that's my daily driver.. The only advice I can give in this thread is that like everything, motorcycles are purposed.

If I was going to try a long trip, I'd want a touring bike- Were I to undertake a sustained voyage, say Florida to Sturgis, ND for a bike rally- It would be a total ass-whip on my current bike.. No storage, no windshield, etc. You have to make sure you either have the right ride for the trip or the sheer force of will to endure the ride. Like deciding to rubber tramp in a sub-compact vs. a class b.

When I was younger, when I reached the point of dangerous operation/exhaustion- I actually parked my motorcycle and unpacked my backpack in an asphalt parking space at a highway rest-stop and slept as cars, trucks and semi's went all around me.. Looking back, I still think it's cool, but no way I would ever do that again..

Motorcycles are an amazing way to travel, and long distances can be done comfortably and happily, but you have to have the right bike.

2. wokofshame

wokofshame STP Homebum

Achievements:
    Address:
    Monroe, Washington, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +413 / -11
    It's a touring bike. I'd like to get another locking box but they're damn expensive. Now it's summer I don't need to carry much so it's all good for now

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Awesome looks comfy!

4. wokofshame

wokofshame STP Homebum

Achievements:
    Address:
    Monroe, Washington, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +413 / -11
    One thing I like so far about motorcycle touring so far is the ability to go down bike paths/ around gates to get to a campsite. I have never liked camping in car-accessible places b/c if you can get there by car, it means police can get there by car also. You can take a bike around or even under gates on logging roads, between the posts on bike paths meant to deter vehicles, and go camp somewhere the police can't just roll up on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Eureka, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +61 / -0
    I like the feeling of not having to buy gas, keeping physically fit, and having minimal impact on the Earth that I get on a bicycle. I also like the slower pace of life on a bicycle; it's so easy to stop and look at a flower, find cool shit on the side of the road, and people are friendlier to you for some reason. But hey, I'm a hippy. To each their own.

6. UnSpentYouth

UnSpentYouth is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Rockford, IL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    This is the main reason I found this site. I have been prepping for my leave for a year now with just under 4 more years before I go. I am a mid 40's father of 3, divorced and wandering mentally. In 3 years, my kids will all be adults, and on their way to make their life their own. I am an avid motorcyclist and love to wander.

I have taken extended time on the bike wandering to test out parts. Where to sleep, how to eat, how to pack, etc. I am still int he fresh stage of learning this all but so far I have learned:

* Finding free camping isn't that hard
    * Hammocks are our friend
    * A comfy seat goes a long way
    * Everyone wants to talk to you when you pull up on a fully packed bike

7. Captain Anderson

Captain Anderson is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Upcoming IT technician
    Address:
    East Haven, CT, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Motorcycles are my life pretty much and nothing beats traveling on them. You get that freedom you don't get in a car its kinda a hard thing to describe but you just feel restricted in your car. But if you are gonna do far rides on a motorcycle I'd test it out first say go maybe a hour or 2 away and see how you and your bike holds up. My daily is my sposter I built and its not too fun riding a hour straight with straight pipe and with a 3 gallon tank so by the time I stop I'm fucking deaf and almost outta gas. I actually got a hold of a 1957 Harely panhead engine and a 1958 panhead frame so in a year or two I am gonna probably have a nice custom panhead to do long hauls on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. UnSpentYouth

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Same here. They are the daily thing. Nothing compares to them. I am not a fan of being caged. I love my 06 C90T touring bike. It is comfortable and has storage for all, but a 3.7 gallon tank. 130 miles and im looking for gas. When I go full time, I might be looking into a adventure bike style I think.

9. Captain Anderson

Achievements:
    Upcoming IT technician
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I can probably do maybe 100 miles? haven't really tested it out tho. As you can see my bike isn't really suited for long distance its more of a around town bar hopper. I am actually looking into Enduro's tho. I just like the idea to have the ability to just say fuck it and go off road and rear appear on a main road somewhere else.

Attached Files:

10. UnSpentYouth

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    yeah same here. I want one that will be able to take on anything. If i can afford an adventure bike, otherwise like a klr 650. This is mine. It is real comfortable, just really heavy and won't take on anything that isn't pavement. For sound, I wear Bluetooth earbuds for music because V&H straight shots will make me deaf in days if I didn't.

Attached Files:

11. Captain Anderson

Achievements:
    Upcoming IT technician
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I'm actually a big fan of Kawi and a 650 is huge for an Enduro. 350's alone got some balls but honestly fuck it the more power the better especially in offroading. I am just trying to find a older Enduro but everyone around here wants a million dollars for junk.

12. UnSpentYouth

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Oh yes, the 250-450 range is great, but I personally am a bigger dude. :) Me plus gear = need for weight limits higher. I started on a 78 Kawi kl250 enduro back in early 90's. It was an amazing bike. Can find mid 90's of those for 2200 or so.