Mosquito net recomendations | Squat the Planet

Mosquito net recomendations

Thf

Reaction score
I’m wanting to hit the road in a few weeks and am currently considering my setup,

I’d like to go with a simple tarp mosquito net combo, but almost all the mosquito nets i find online seem to be made for regular beds.
So I’m wondering, what do you recommend?
Are there special nets for camping that I’ve somehow missed.
I vaguely remember once seeing a net that came with a ground sail...

Thanks for your advice!

D

Deleted member 125

Most if not all mosquito nets I've seen for camping are designed for hammocks so I don't see why you couldn't use one if you were using a tarp with some kind of cordage to hold them both in place. They usually run around as little as 20-30 but if you have a rei or similar outdoor store near you it might be worth checking them out before buying online just to be sure it will fit yer set up.

With that being said I'm a dumb American who's not familiar with the weather in the Netherlands is there a particular reason you'd be against a single person light weight tent? Mine weighs almost half as my tarp and I often leave off the rain fly and it does a fine job keeping bitey bugs out.

Thf

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you'd be against a single person light weight tent? Mine weighs almost half as my tarp and I often leave off the rain fly and it does a fine job keeping bitey bugs out.

It’s mostly that I fancy the minimalism and versatility of a tarp plus mosquito net setup, but you might totally be right, after my first night spend in the rain i might be hunkering for the comfort of a tent.

D

Deleted member 125

I know I'm not alone but I carry my tent plus a pretty large tarp, I use both often enough to make it worth the extra weight/space in my pack they both take up, which isn't a whole lot. Imo it's something you outta look into. Tarp shelters are great but it's also nice not waking up wet and having to break camp soaked and not having had a decent nights rest. I use a winterial one person tent and despite the stuff sack it came in being huge it packs down to a little larger then a football and only weighs a few pounds. I've never weighed my tarp and I know I carry a rather large one but I'm positive it adds more weight and takes up more space then my tent.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Yea there's mosquito nets for ground camping! I have one. I got it on amazon. Ive also seen them at camping stores, as far as I can remember. I've been always too lazy to set it up but have draped it over my pack and torso with my head nudged up to my bag on some really bad summer nights. It does have grommets on all 4 corners and hangs from a loop on the top. Don't think it cost more than like 15USD.

This is the one!

20190514_010236.png

You could also consider getting a bivy that zips up at the top with a mosquito net, I find bivvies awesome for keeping the extra rain off my sleeping bag when it starts raining sideways, etc. and the tarp begins to fail. But wouldn't be fun if you're not fond of tight spaces tho.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I scored a two person camping mosquito net at Wal-Mart for like.. 6 dollars.

This was recent, so I know they'll still be stocked.

Callofthewild

Reaction score
Yea there's mosquito nets for ground camping! I have one. I got it on amazon. Ive also seen them at camping stores, as far as I can remember. I've been always too lazy to set it up but have draped it over my pack and torso with my head nudged up to my bag on some really bad summer nights. It does have grommets on all 4 corners and hangs from a loop on the top. Don't think it cost more than like 15USD.

This is the one!

View attachment 50374

You could also consider getting a bivy that zips up at the top with a mosquito net, I find bivvies awesome for keeping the extra rain off my sleeping bag when it starts raining sideways, etc. and the tarp begins to fail. But wouldn't be fun if you're not fond of tight spaces tho.
Now that's bad ass

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads