mocassins question | Squat the Planet

mocassins question

The Hiker

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying some elk and bison hide and making a pair of mocassins, but I'm curious if anyone knows, are they wearable for everyday life (asphalt, concrete, tile) or are they only practical in nature?

• Useful
Reactions: paiche

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
they'll wear through super fast. my advice would be to lightly glue or sew bicycle tire treads to the bottom and replace them when they wear out.
edit: I'm a fan of buffalo hide.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
They were designed without modern roads in mind, so I reckon they'd wear out quickly. I got some awesome leather sandals in the old Greek/Roman fashion in Turkey some years back and I love them, but I could see the leather easily falling apart in an urban environment.

Chazten

Reaction score
Like the other guy said, use tire tread for the bottoms but instead of using the tread part, cut out the sidewall and you don't have to deal with the metal wires that all common tires have.

Reactions: OutsideYourWorld
A

AlwaysLost

They are great for slingshot or bow hunting though. But people are right they arent durable. But witha good pair you and proper stepping they turn you into a ninja.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Moccasins are best for wilderness use. I'd go with a center seam pattern to make them, easiest style to make since they are one piece. The tin foil pattern trick works nicely. Just form and cut a large piece of foil to fit each foot, unfold it and you have a rough pattern to work with.

D

Deleted member 2626

Great idea outskirts for moccasins. I'm forming 2 pair of sandles, something I have never really worn, from a lawn mower tire I found in Ohio. Straps will be leather from a deceased great uncle and or a mixture of straps I collect laying and scrounge. Seems it's a common use to make your own shoes from them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads