Meet the doctor who treats the homeless - pittsburgh pa

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey this is one cool guy - 23 years on the road on his own treating the ills of the homeless - Pittsburgh, PA. I went and searched for other agencies that may do this (as I know there have to be) but could not find on interenet. I suckith. But in there interim - here is this most awesome man, Dr. Withers in Pittsburgh PA.

I love love love this man

Meet the doctor who treats the homeless
By Christie O'Reilly, CNN

150506151358-cnn-heroes-homeless-doctor-jim-withers-large-169.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/07/us/cnn-heroes-homeless-doctor-jim-withers/#

• Pittsburgh (CNN)Dr. Jim Withers used to dress like a homeless person. On purpose.

Two to three nights a week, he rubbed dirt in his hair and muddied up his jeans and shirt before walking the dark streets of Pittsburgh, searching for the very people he was trying to emulate.

Withers wanted to connect with those who had been excluded from his care.

"I was actually really shocked how ill people were on the street. It was like going to a third-world country," he said. "Young, old, people with mental illness, runaway kids, women (who) fled domestic violence, veterans. And they all have their own story."

Homelessness costs the medical system a lot of money. Individuals often end up in emergency rooms, and stay there longer, because their illnesses go untreated and can lead to complications.

150507130906-cnnheroes-withers-team-camp-medium-plus-169.jpg

For 23 years, Withers has been treating the homeless -- under bridges, in alleys and along riverbanks.

"We realized that this was something that could be addressed. We could make 'house calls,' " he said. It's something that Withers' father, a rural doctor, often did.

Withers' one-man mission became a citywide program called Operation Safety Net. Since 1992, the group has reached more than 10,000 individuals and helped more than 1,200 of them transition into housing.

In addition to street rounds, the program has a mobile van, drop-in centers and a primary health clinic, all where the homeless can access medical care.

Today, Withers is also fostering a global "street medicine" movement. His nonprofit, the Street Medicine Institute, supports communities in starting programs of their own. Its network includes dozens of teams in the United States and around the world.

I recently talked with Withers about his work and his ultimate vision. Below is an edited version of our conversation:

CNN: How does it work, doing rounds in homeless camps?

Dr. Jim Withers: It can be a challenge to keep up with where the camps are. The homeless are often evicted. Their belongings are taken. And so they have to keep moving. And therefore we have to keep moving to keep up to date on their camps.

150506151823-cnn-heroes-homeless-doctor-jim-withers-with-patient-medium-plus-169.jpg

Withers and a student treat Lois Burkes, who his organization helped find housing.

Doing walking rounds, we try to keep our team down to four people. We don't want to invade (their space) with a lot of people. It's their home. So there's an outreach expert who knows the field and knows the people. There's myself or a medical person, and then we always have a student or two. And we bring a social worker with us.

We'll go into the camp, and we make sure they're OK with us coming in. Almost all the homeless are cordial, if not downright really friendly. And we just join them, and they can express what's going on. We always try then to check in with how they're doing medically. If they have insurance, if they have medicines that they should be on that they ran out of. Do they have a doctor? "Did you get that looked at?" What's important to the patient, the person, is our priority.

The care that we deliver out there is dependent on what's in our backpacks. We try to emphasize that this is not good enough. Getting (them) into primary care is our goal.

CNN: What ailments do you see out there?

Withers: People on the street, they're exposed to the elements obviously. So you see a lot of things that have to do with the weather and the difficulties of sleeping out there: frostbite, dehydration, hypothermia. But they also have everyday things, like high blood pressure, diabetes, coughs and colds, pneumonia, injuries.

Operation Safety Net and the Street Medicine Institute to learn how you can help.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Doctors Without Walls in the Central Coast area of California does something similar. (Just in case anyone is in the Central Coast and needs some help.)

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
It just goes to show you that there are still some good people out there.

Reactions: Tude

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads