Marx on the Branding of Vagabonds in the 16th Century | Squat the Planet

Marx on the Branding of Vagabonds in the 16th Century

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
1547: "If it happens that a vagabond has been idling about for three days, he is to be taken to his birthplace, branded with a red-hot iron with the letter V on the breast and be set to work, in chains, in the streets or at some other labour."

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch28.htm

New body modification anyone?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
<looks down> Well at least there is no "A" branded here. :D Just a lot of flowers, cats and a fish or twooooo.

Will Wood

Reaction score
1547: "If it happens that a vagabond has been idling about for three days, he is to be taken to his birthplace, branded with a red-hot iron with the letter V on the breast and be set to work, in chains, in the streets or at some other labour."

Much of this was connected to' The Enclosure Laws', and the destruction of the Yeoman class, which dumped a lot of poor into the cities, where they started to wander in search of a better life. I think it got ramped up during Queen Elizabeth's time. She was called 'Bloody Bess' because she killed more English people, and destroyed more monastaries than any other ruler. Many poor people would use the Church and the monastery system as a way to safeguard themselves from the government. But under John Dee's Cabalistic guidance, the Church took a huge hit. There was a nursery rhyme in this era that went:
"They hang the man and flog the woman who steals the goose from off the Common.
Yet let the greater criminal loose, who steals the Common from the goose.
They say we must atone when we take things we do not own.
But leave the Lords and Ladies fine, who take things that are yours and mine."

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

I read the article; that was some FUCKED UP SHIT.

One of the things in there was a mandatory wage cap, punishable by imprisonment on the part of both the employer AND the employee. However, it was still unfairly biased in favor of the employers; 10 days in prison for PAYING a higher wage than the mandatory cap, and 21 days in prison for RECEIVING a higher wage.

I like the idea about the 'V' brand, though.

Reactions: Will Wood
T

tennesseejed

This is brutal! Some real stone age shit right there. I wonder if they actually followed it to a t? Or was it just a scare tactic?

Will Wood

Reaction score
Since Marx was a radical Zionist, I might mention that in Lancastrian England, the punishment for striking a Jew(but not killing him) was to pay 2 pounds of gold. A sick joke since most poor people had never seen gold. Short of that, the poor offender was to have one hand cut off and both eyes burned out with a hot iron. Not fun at all.. If your curious about Marx, check out the youtube video: " Karl Marx was Racist, supported slavery and cared nothing for the working class"..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads