Photos - Marseille to Sicily along the coast. | Squat the Planet

Photos Marseille to Sicily along the coast.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Not sure if this is the best way to describe an ongoing trip. But figure if there's a better place someone will point me there.

I left Knoxville, TN Sunday morning, landed in Marignane, France Monday morning, walked out of the airport to the nearest Lidl. Bought food. Walked to the Decathlon (sporting goods store) and managed to buy a bike before they closed and some necessary tools and parts for $300. Then I biked in the dark to an Amazon locker, picked up a charger and backup battery (someone stole the sim card I ordered somehow), biked a bit further toward a forest (less than a mile), set up my hammock, and spent the next day there resting and sleeping.

20210921_191616.jpg

Note that I've already done two bike trips this year: Mammoth, CA, to Bozeman, MT. Charlottesville, VA to Knoxville, TN.

How do I fund this: from part time warehouse work at Kmart for a few months back in 2016 which I invested in ethereum cryptocurrency.

I'm planning to check out the 1€ houses in Italy to consider establishing a part time home base some where over here.

Today my mission was to get internet access. I ended up getting an SFR sim at La Poste (the post office) €10+ €10 credit. I'm not sure how long that will last.

But I'm currently in my hammock not far from this fort,

20210922_182630.jpg

And somehow I have a good signal here.

Another mission of the day was to swim, which I did in the Mediterranean in La Vesse.

Earlier this year i found STP from r/vagabond sidebar I think. Was happy to see bikepunky and another woman cycle traveler posting here.

I've done long trips like this in Europe with very little money before, see bit.ly/clcvplus for a list.

Also, I am on a lot of the dating websites, but naturally most people I meet there are not of the vagabond variety. A friend pointed me to this verge article which mentions three nomad specific sites. Fairytrail in particular leads to a lot of matches but unless I limit it to just Italy and France I just end up chatting with people I'll never meet.

So, I figure I'll write here as long as it works out. Many of these forums I find have all sorts of spoken or unspoken rules so I generally assume something I've written here is out of line in some way. But perhaps that won't be the case for once.

ali

Reaction score
Hi Colin, me and some of the other bike tourers on here have just started a thread for each tour and then we update the thread with new stories and photos as we go. I think this is a nice way to do it, that way it is all in one place. Look forward to reading about your tour of Europe. Cycling around the Med would be a blast, i think, and you can take ferries across to North Africa too.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Hi Colin, me and some of the other bike tourers on here have just started a thread for each tour and then we update the thread with new stories and photos as we go. I think this is a nice way to do it, that way it is all in one place. Look forward to reading about your tour of Europe. Cycling around the Med would be a blast, i think, and you can take ferries across to North Africa too.
Thank you, maybe I'll try that. I sort of accidentally created a new thread for day two then found no way to delete it. Maybe going forward I'll just reply to it as you suggest.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads