manic hippie dream girl (arkansas ) | Squat the Planet

manic hippie dream girl (arkansas )

siouxsie

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to this whole subculture, ( read a lot about it when I was 14, forgot, relearning) and I'm just so overwhelmed with excitement when I think about it. I want to leave as soon as possible. I just need a strong companion who I can rely on to try to protect me! I've always got a knife, but I just am very kidnappable I think. I live in Northwest arkansas and I'm looking to go somewhere warm, I've never left arkansas, I want to see a wild cactus! I want to see lots of stuff. I hope I can make good friends on here. I'm 18 years old, work a factory job, and I'm getting sicker of it everyday! I'll go anywhere, just out of Arkansas! But as far as that companion goes, I just can't stand to be alone. I'm hoping heading out on the road will alleviate some of that but I would like someone to share my new experiences with.

Reactions: xvxlex and vannevar
O

outlawloose

Just my 2¢, but if I were worried about being 'kidnappable', I certainly wouldnt be looking to meet up with strangers from a weirdo internet forum to go hang out in off the map locations.

Just convince one of your friends to go on a roadtrip with you. You'll either have a sick time together, or you'll just learn to hate each other, then break up, end up lonely, accept that we're all born alone and we all die alone, you'll build confidence in your autonomy, do shit you didnt think you could do, and peel off in to the sunset with your chin high, heart full and eyes wider than theyve ever been, never again to return Arkansas. The End

Youre choice. Whatever you do just dont meet up with that miketheboy dude.
Haha, seriously.

angerisagift

Reaction score
Just my 2¢, but if I were worried about being 'kidnappable', I certainly wouldnt be looking to meet up with strangers from a weirdo internet forum to go hang out in off the map locations.

Just convince one of your friends to go on a roadtrip with you. You'll either have a sick time together, or you'll just learn to hate each other, then break up, end up lonely, accept that we're all born alone and we all die alone, you'll build confidence in your autonomy, do shit you didnt think you could do, and peel off in to the sunset with your chin high, heart full and eyes wider than theyve ever been, never again to return Arkansas. The End

Youre choice. Whatever you do just dont meet up with that miketheboy dude.
Haha, seriously.
Exactly PREACH!!!!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Don't let not having a travel buddy stop you from getting out there and traveling! You'll meet lots of people be it on the bus, or while hitching, or whatever. Traveling city to city you'll be surrounded by people.

Definitely use more caution when traveling alone, I had been fine for ages but recently was in the wrong place at the wrong time catching a train and nearly got knocked out and robbed. Luckily there was a traveler kid nearby to help outnumber the wacky cracky attacky and I was fine, and actually ended up traveling with the kid who came to help. Since that, I've appreciated traveling with someone else when hitching and hopping. So I guess you never know how you'll meet people these days!

Best of luck to ya!

D

Deleted member 15273

Leave with someone you already trust. Never meet people you met on internet. Especially if you are a 18 girl who doesn't have personal street experience. Go with a cousin, best friend.

Will Wood

Reaction score
Save up some cash. The more you have the easier it will be, while you learn how to get by. Start picking up the kit you decide you need. Some, like me, are always going over kit. If someone seems sketchy, walk away as soon as it is practical.. Good luck

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I'm waiting for Corn to put the smack down on the last couple of sign ups. Since I'm a guy, and old, all I can say is learn to take care of yourself first and rely on no one but yourself. Find the dirty kids in your locale or start a traveling group of weirdos with people you already know.

Social media is creating some seriously fucked up expectations. Life isn't Facebook have some personal security and don't share shit on the interwebs.

StP has a lot of good peeps who look out for each other, but damn there are perps on here too.

Koala

Reaction score
Website
Oh, and the people who tell you "absolutely don't go solo traveling, it's toooo dangerous!!! you'll die!!!" are wrong, and they're the same people who sat back and let not having someone to adventure with stop them from doing things. and now they're old and never did those things they wanted to do. Or they're young and one day will be filled with regret

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
How much does your job pay? It's not auto manufacturing, is it?
I think you're probably out to a good start. People say you should travel alone to make things easier, but I am just like you. I can't stand to be alone for too long (traveling). You can make small talk with people on the Greyhound Bus or local city bus stations, but other people are usually busy with their lives or watching a movie on their phone. It's more fun than regular life, being on the road, but it's a mental challenge and can be incredibly boring and tedious. It's easy to get burnt out from driving more than a few hours.

Couchsurfing.org has an app and airBNB will help you find places to stay for as cheap as $15 a day. These websites have reviews of hosts to help you know who to trust

Where do you plan to go first? Maybe Washington DC or New York City. I'm not the best person for recommendations. I would definitely look into hostels as most people there are in their 20s.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Koala.... the world isn't inherently dangerous or inherently safe, its a complex of a billion different ever-changing circumstances and you simply cannot predict how your travelling life is gonna pan out - all the good experiences you ever had will not outway the one nightmare scenario that you happen across... an 18 year newbie female traveller needs some solid people around to look out for her, it is irresponsible to suggest otherwise... i'm all for escaping the rat race / travelling widely / empowering oneself but we live in a sick fucking society and too many scumbags see a young girl alone as a piece of meat waiting to be toyed with...

OP - go out and have the time of your life but take someone with you that you trust, being alone and scared is no fun

Koala

Reaction score
Website
@roguetrader Oh yeah there's definitely good and bad but I reckon we can agree that there are way more good people than bad people out there. I'm a "young slab of meat" too and I've definitely had to stand my ground before...I started traveling solo at 18 as a "newbie female", taking buses to different cities and staying with friends and meeting folks along the way.

When it comes down to it, everyone should do what they're comfortable with, but I think pushing out of the comfort zone you learn really quickly that you're capable of a lot and that the majority of folks out there are good!

Be cautious and keep your wits about you, but don't be scared

Reactions: Odin

Zaphod

Reaction score
@roguetrader Oh yeah there's definitely good and bad but I reckon we can agree that there are way more good people than bad people out there. I'm a "young slab of meat" too and I've definitely had to stand my ground before...I started traveling solo at 18 as a "newbie female", taking buses to different cities and staying with friends and meeting folks along the way.

When it comes down to it, everyone should do what they're comfortable with, but I think pushing out of the comfort zone you learn really quickly that you're capable of a lot and that the majority of folks out there are good!

Be cautious and keep your wits about you, but don't be scared

TFW someone with relevant life experience has advice but they get ignored and nay-sayed by everyone because misogyny.

My only advice would be to avoid cis dudes. Men are trash (and not the good edible kind; definitely the scum at the bottom kind)

Koala

Reaction score
Website
TFW someone with relevant life experience has advice but they get ignored and nay-sayed by everyone because misogyny.

My only advice would be to avoid cis dudes. Men are trash (and not the good edible kind; definitely the scum at the bottom kind)

^^ yes. this.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
All I can say is this, no matter who's advice you go with on here, remember this one thing wherever you are in life, ALWAYS go with your gut feeling. If something don't feel right, something is probably wrong. That goes for person/place/situation. I'm not talking about fears that everyone has in some form or another, I'm talking about that innner voice from the pit of your stomach. Common sense and gut instinct should be your constant companions along the way, eventually you'll gain street smarts too.

Reactions: LazyMofo and Zaphod

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads