Managing your legal address (1 Viewer)

Toekeyohdrift

How do you live on the road yet manage to receive mail in order to have a driver's license? Currently my address is with my family in IL, but any work I find elsewhere gets taxed out the ass as a result. Would be nice to change my address without having to pay rent and continue to have access to my own mail. How do you manage your address?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
Website
m.soundcloud.com
It's tumultuous. Some have trusted friends that are stable enough to forward mail.

Otherwise, I use general delivery postal office address for places I know I'll be around at that time. It's universal for the whole "U.S." 10 days if for General Delivery at an office with letter-carrier service. 15 days if for General Delivery at an office without letter-carrier service. This is in regards to time frame of a mail hold expectation.

Good luck. Ha

Sameer

Wanderer
It's really easy in Arizona. I've had a PO box at the general store/laundromat in Ehrenberg for 9 years and I use that for vehicle registration and everything else I need. Arizona is very good about things like only having a PO box for an address. Also they let me use their street address so I was able to get a real ID driver's license. The situation with addresses is much easier than you might think.

ali

Wanderer
It's really easy in Arizona. I've had a PO box at the general store/laundromat in Ehrenberg for 9 years and I use that for vehicle registration and everything else I need. Arizona is very good about things like only having a PO box for an address. Also they let me use their street address so I was able to get a real ID driver's license. The situation with addresses is much easier than you might think.
Would you recommend a general store in a smaller town that also does postal service over a larger town's post office that's actually a dedicated post office? I'm about to pull the trigger on either a UPS box or a PO box and i was wondering if it'd be worth cycling out to one of the outlying rural communities to set up a box there or just using a central or suburban one that's obviously a non-residential address.

Sameer

Wanderer
Would you recommend a general store in a smaller town that also does postal service over a larger town's post office that's actually a dedicated post office? I'm about to pull the trigger on either a UPS box or a PO box and i was wondering if it'd be worth cycling out to one of the outlying rural communities to set up a box there or just using a central or suburban one that's obviously a non-residential address.
Ehrenberg is a tiny no nothing town across the river from Blythe. There are Mail forwarders in Quartzite but I don't think that's a good idea because it's "too obvious".... Pick a state like Arizona that is very liberal for travelers. And I think you're right I would pick a small town or something like that. I've had the box for a long time but I understand that you can get a post office box from The UPS store that includes a street address. There are so many options to explore. There are more than a million permanent travelers on the road and every one of them has vehicle registration and a driver's license and no permanent home so there are solutions. I was lucky to get a real ID driver's license because I have my PO box so long they let me use their street address. I had mail sent to the street address and then took those letters to the DMV and they gave me a real ID.
Good luck it's really not a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.