Making plastic anything! | Squat the Planet

Making plastic anything!

C

Crazycoon

Here ya go, an ingenious way to recycle old plastic bags. You can make them fuse together into any shape, thickness or whatever.

You need an iron, or if yer in the forest I guess a hot pan would do in a pinch. Take any old grocery bag or garbage bag. (those thick construction bags werk the best). And layer them on top of each other. Next take news paper or thin cardboard (shoe box) and place this on top, then simply iron the whole area for like a minute or so and wait till the news paper cools. Take the paper off and vwola! the plastic will have fused together making one thick piece to work with. You can then take a cardboard slip and put it between two peices so that theres a couple millimeters hanging over on each side,and just iron those edges. you will have sealed them, making a pouch thats totally waterproof... And if yer fucking awesome you could even make a whole rain coat doing this technique!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
have you tried this?

sounds awesome. Im gonna try and make a mold for a little water proof pouch tonight.

C

Crazycoon

Ya IVE TRIED THIS. tHE TRICKIEST PART SEEMS TO BE NOT GETING THE NEWSPAPER STUCK TO THE PLASTIC. lET COOL MUCHLY, THEN TAKE IT OFF.

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
I know this is old but I imagine it could be useful for a lot of different things. I've fused tons of bags together but never actually made anything, Use wax , parchment or freezer paper instead of newspaper and the sticking shouldn't be an issue. Don't do to many layers at one otherwise you'll get lots of air bubbles. You can draw things in between the layers with sharpie and probably other things if you get creative... it has a pretty neat effect.

Because melting plastic can be very harmful, do it in a well ventilated area.

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
when i was doing it, i got he best results by fusing one or two layers at a time...like fusing two and then adding another and so on. If you are sewing it, certain things would probably work best patch-worked, since its so stiff.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads