Lost/left everything in my life, going to try living out in the woods and forests and exploring this country.

thornbush

Reaction score
Recently left my abusive family, an amazing relationship that i ruined, and a bunch of racist, homophobic (basically all of the "-ists" and "-phobics" a person could be.) "friends". And I just lost my job for basically giving up and now I'm here. Rent is gonna be due soon, and I'll be SOL once I pay that. Have some gear already because I was going to go camping but never did.

For a little backstory on my name, I'm just using an old name given to me as a child, when me and my neighbors would go exploring in the woods. I somehow always ended up stepping in poison ivy, yellow jacket nests, or thornbushes, and the name thornbush just kinda stuck(lol) for me. I've always been an outdoorsy type, so the woods are a very familiar place to me.

But anyways, I'm posting here because I want to connect with people who are in a similar situation to mine. What made you guys decide to live like this? I plan on mainly camping out in BLM land all over the country, and exploring places that seem nice to me. Maybe this is just a pipe dream and I'm being incredibly naive by saying this, and if that is true by all means tell me. I'm just at the end of my rope here. I don't want to spend another minute working in some shit-pay, I-do-everything-while-the-boss-slacks-off kind of job, just so I can barely pay rent and my bills, and maybe have enough leftover to buy myself a pizza once a month. I don't ever plan on going to college or any other form of school, I have autism and it feels like I'm deep frying my brain in bleach when I sit in a classroom. I know that I'm not dumb, but I just cant stand schooling.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is just, am I being stupid? If I am, please throw some cold water on me and tell me to man up and find another job. If I'm not, please let me know how I can survive more than 5 minutes outside.

If you read this whole post, thank you, and I hope you have a good day.

thornbush

PurplePanda420

Reaction score
A practical approach would be to invest in camping supplies and head south for the winter, where you can find stable employment near your campsite. A gym membership would provide access to showers and facilities for cleaning up each morning before work. This would allow you to save money over the winter, while also building problem-solving skills. In the spring, you could then consider traveling the country. However, be aware that there are dangers on the road, including individuals who may pose serious threats to your safety. Some carry weapons and may not hesitate to take what you have, including your life. This isn't a game; navigating this lifestyle requires street smarts and confidence, qualities that, based on what you've shared, may still need development.

Last edited:
Reactions: NamelessExistence

maxiyou

Black_Eyes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your post got me emotional. I am sending big hopes for you and love. To find yourself again. To rebuild temple inside of you.

Your plan will expose you to very rough situations and environments as well as it will be extremely liberating.

Practical stuff:
Myself I would stay minimal - take as minimum gear needed for basic needs (sleeping bag and matte, shelter, gas stove + gas cartridge, antirain clothing/poncho, antirain shell for 🎒, food for 1-3 days ahead, basic aid kit, firestarter, all-round knife, spoon, favourite book...) and think about investing in future in such stuff, which would weight as low as possible and being solid at the same time.
For movement... working on your muscles rather than your joints, spine. Tie up your ABS when carrying heavy 🎒 - all the time...

Spiritual stuff:
Expand on conscious experiencing what your body and mind has to tell you. Show patience to any sensations, emotions. Let them live and let them go their way. Learn to let go of anything. Especially of being binded to something (emotions, places, items, people...).
Your can speak without thinking or feeling... Or you can put magic, emotion in any word that come out of you, as well as any movement. You can pay attention to any sip you take, how it travels though you body. It will make everything meaningful. Full of life. You will soon know where your path is and what's the best for you.

I hope I didn't fly away too much.
Peace and love and TAKE CARE

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads