Looking for work in Australia! | Squat the Planet

Looking for work in Australia!

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Reaction score
Hey yall. Planning on heading to Australia very shortly.

Looking for full time work for all of august preferably with accomodation around NSW or Victoria.

My job of choice would be beekeeping but keen on any work.
I have experience beekeeping, picking, planting, and also hold qualifications in automotive engineering and apiculture.

Going on a holiday in september and then ill be back and able to continue working from mid september to April.

Thanks guys!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Koala might have some info for you about this

Reactions: TayNZ

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com

This site is legit (thru the govt) for finding farmwork!

I actually don't have any work experience here except working as an extra on a tv set for one day, but getting work is piss easy, especially in Melbourne. Tons of cash in hand jobs too.

Also, hit me up when you get here! I'll be wandering/bumming around til November :)

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Reaction score
Planning on flying into either sydney or melbourne at the end of july. Meant to be going back to fiji in september for a friends birthday so i need the work but after that ill be back in aus till april if i do come over

Reactions: Koala

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
TayNZ If You Click On The Image Below It Shows It Bigger. Briefly This Post'll Go Through a Few Things About The Numberd Areas, That You May Find Helpful. This Is In Regards to Melbourne.

Tay-NZ-map.png

1. Box one shows the airport you'll most likely be getting off at, its just a reference point.

2. Is an area called Truganina, it has many factories, pick packing, forklift driving, production type work, even the close by suburb Laverton is similar in its industrial section, Laverton North and Derrimut. These jobs tend to pay well. Also with Truganina there are also currently new houses being built in this area, its apparently the most fastest growing area in the country and the near by Tarneit, at these building sites, tradesmen can be found there who may higher you as labourer or what ever your qualified in if so, they move from work site to work site though, transport may be needed, unless they are picking you up.

3. Werribee South is an area known for its farming and agriculture, thats basically all that is there, is farms that grow things. You could go there and talk to locals or people you see out in the fields about work.

4. Four on this map is Footsgrey it has an industrial area as well, actually should say the suburb right next to it Tottenham, west footsgrey/Tottenham area.

5. The city, the CBD is a busy area full of restaurants that you could get work in, students from overseas often work in these places for cash in hand, as they cannot work to much hours on a student visa. There are also office buildings or apartments students clean there too, if you see students walking around, you could talk to them about such things, if there English is decent. Theres also many other shops you could try as well in this area, if you wanted to even go there, its a city.

6. Number six on this map is a town called Williams town, there are many different shops along the main street, and there is a restaurant type area around the main park there, there is shops here close by to the train that you could check out as well. Its right beside the ocean too.

Another thing is Seek.com.au SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site - https://www.seek.com.au/ this website is good to look for work in all the areas mentioned, you could also just go there in person an ask around. You can type in any area and this website shows jobs in that area where people are wanted for work. Indeed.com is another one too Job Search | Indeed - https://au.indeed.com/

You said you have automotive skills, or qualifications, you can just get onto google maps and type in "automotive" then all the places that come up, you could just start calling them and ask them do they need anyone to work. Theres so many of them. As for bee keeping you can also do the same thing with that.

Going beyond the areas more closer to Melbourne and moving outwards, theres really so much that could be said, just gonna mention a few things.

Tay nzer.png

The area in number one on the map above, has the city of Geelong and surrounding suburbs an coastal towns such as queenscliff there is also a ferry that people can take from queenscliff over to sorrento which is helpful if you wanted to quickly hop across to the other side of the bay without driving or some other way of travel that would take much longer. Theres many shops in geelong as well someone could work at, it has its industrial areas too which are in north geelong and theres another similar area to the south. Theres also the great ocean road which people who visit sometimes like to travel, there are beaches and coastal towns such as anglesea and lorne to check out, people can go much further then what this map displays though.

2. Ballarat is a country city, many shops here too someone could work at, but on the way there if you go through the suburb known as Bacchus Marsh, on Bacchus Marsh road, a road going into an outta Bacchus marsh, on that road there are many farms that grow berries, fruits an other things, they also have stalls an shops out the front of there farms where they sell stuff they grow. There is farm work in this area.

3. Bendigo is similar to Ballarat as in its a country city, its more country then ballarat, theres some shops but some of them are abandoned, its almost as if one section of the city is somewhat a ghost town. Probably not to much here for work, unless it was at some farm somewhere a little out from the place. There could be some places though, it has its restaurants and super markets like other places.

It may be worth while mentioning that through out the whole country side of vic there are national parks, farms and country towns. There is places to work Conservation and Land and farm work in places.

Area four has Albury and Wodonga, wondonga is another country city, its nice but there is an area near by called the Alpine region, the Alpine region has places like Bright, Mt beauty, Falls creek. This area is a beautiful area with lots of mountains, trees, rivers and country towns. In the colder months it may snow on the mountains there. There are also ski lodges there where people can stay an work.

Last edited:

TayNZ

Kiwi Vagabond
Reaction score
Thanks @WyldLyfe that's really useful info!
Would you have any recommendations on where or who I can find information about work in the National Parks?

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks @WyldLyfe that's really useful info!
Would you have any recommendations on where or who I can find information about work in the National Parks?

Umm.. for VIC you can contact VIC parks by phone, website or visiting a park. Call 13 1963 within Australia or +613 8427 2002 internationally. Email info@parks.vic.gov.au

If you don't have Cert III in Conservation and Land management, you'll prob get put into a labourers crew, planting trees, building fences, using brush cutters, removing weeds, land work or what ever else needs to be done.

On seek.com.au and indeed, mentioned before you can have a look too, Conservation, Bush crew, Tree planting ect..

There is also websites like this one NRMjobs - Search Jobs - https://nrmjobs.com.au/jobs/search_jobs?state=ALL&search=&category=ALL&page=1

Last edited:

Minnie

Reaction score
gumtree.com.au has a job board if you wanna check that out, kinda like a craigslist i guess. fruitpicking is huge spring + summer. aparist work from my knowledge is word of mouth so i’d recommend going to local and farmers markets introducing yourself to the beekeeper stalls maybe.
there’s also heaps of accom & small cash for labour ads on gumtree often. if you’re chasing $$ that won’t be the best option but an option nonetheless.

i greatly recommend victoria over NSW as far as job prospects go. keep in mind that farmers in NSW have been experiencing the worst drought seen for decades.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads