Looking for advice

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey all, looking for some advice to help get me on my way off on the road. I over analize things to much, and unfortunatley, while 5 years ago I was a care free spirit who could literally walk out the front door with just the shirt on my back and walk all over the world, todays me is far to currupted by my lifestyle and my bubble to be able to do that anymore. Just what am I supposed to do? Do I save up a lot of money, and then just hitch from my first highway? I just dont get it, and I know I propably sound completley incompentent, I wish it wasnt so, but Im afraid I just have more heart than skills these days. I hitch localy sometimes, but being in New York its a lot easier to walk 10 miles than it is get a ride, so do I try and start somewhere else? I really wanted to do this alone, but maybe I should find someone more experienced right? Idk, im trying to keep this short as possible, but any and all advice is welcome. I will get out there, thats not a question anymore, theres nothing left for me with this 'ordinary' lifestyle.

Thanks!

• Useful
Reactions: akindlyone

TheLoneRat

Reaction score
hey sonny,
well, I know I've been in a similar situation. at times I feel that I can walk out the door and go to the tracks and just get on a train, but it helps to do some research. It seems you're tryna hitch. If so, get a backpack, fill it with a road atlas, a sleeping bag, a tarp, a first aid kit, some water, a compass (maybe) and some hearty snacks. Then hit the road jack...and don't come back fer a while. You could hitch a couple different ways: at truck stops, at gas stations, or at any road/highway on ramp. The benefits of the truck stops and gas stations is that you can physically choose the people to ask for a ride from and can even spark a conversation.

Reactions: ayyyjayyy
K

Kim Chee

From what you're saying it sounds like what is holding you back is your addiction(s) and wants (lifestyle). Before, those things weren't an issue and you had no problem, yeah? You could come and go as you pleased and go wherever your free spirit took you. Now you have an addiction and its keeping you from doing all the things that you really want to do. I've done a bit of travelling but I didn't have to court an addiction while on the road. I imagine your priorities may have changed considerably as you went from carefree world traveler to a person who recognizes an addiction and now seems to have a lot of questions that seem to be very elementary. Congratulations on recognizing your addiction. Deal with that and I'm sure the rest will come back into focus. Also, if I misinterpreted what you are saying I apologize. Maybe you can omit "corrupted" and "bubble" in you subsequent post or just clarify.

fateoficarus

Reaction score
Don't let fear or worry get to you like that. Yeah, it's good to read up on whatever you're planning to do, make sure you're prepared for the realities and whatnot, but once you know what you need to hit the road, I'd say the best thing to do is just fucking do it. Worst case scenario you can head back and try again after you figure out what went wrong. Don't worry about failure, worry about not trying/giving up altogether

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the words so far guys, just wanted to clear the air with mmmmmmmmm, not offended or anything, but its not addictions that are keeping me back. Well not drugs or anything. Id say an addiction to the material world and all her philosiphies maybe. The bubble im in is that tabboo that hitting the road and being free is the wrong thing to do, the curruption is the philosphy of having to get a real job and start a family is the only way to live. Im tired of bowing down to the all mighty dollar, and everything I hold dear and value in life is the exact opposite from what I used to, thats the curruption. Ill sound like a big geek right now but I relate a lot of my life like a jedi who became a sith, or darth vader "more machine now than man". I propably sound like im on drugs though hahaha.

TheLoneRat

Reaction score
As I hope you've seen, this website shows the other side that is just as successful but not shackled by money and a steady job. just don't fall into the shitty, scummy crowd. it's sadly a big part of the traveling culture, and i wish it weren't a bunch of us do it for the thrill and our destinations have things for us to make profit from and to visit friends and family. it's not wrong, it's just different. money has value...to an extent. you don't have to spange or fly a sign, you can work too.

fateoficarus

Reaction score
"having to get a real job and start a family is the only way to live"...God...I fucking hope not. Here's how I see it, some people are completely happy to live consumerist lives, raise 2.5 kids, take pride in their lawn, etc. I find it unbelievably that they could actually be happy living a life like that, but neither can I expect that everyone would be happier if they were squatting/travelling. Maybe consider why you want to travel. If it's because it makes the most sense and you can't see yourself doing anything else, fucking do it. If you're scared being a vagabond could fuck up your possibility for getting a mortgage in a few years then don't. Also, there's other ways to live freely without traveling. You could squat, NY is a good place for that from my understanding

K

Kim Chee

...well I'm glad I was wrong about the chemical addiction. Your problem seems to be much less of a problem now. I love being on the road/street. I also enjoy being housed up at times for a change. I noticed that after a couple of weeks of being housed up, I get all woosified. I get all soft and lazy, kind of like I'm doing it all over again and it seems more difficult than it really is (heading out the door). I don't want to make it sound easier than it really is, but remember that you did it before and you can do it again, it will all come back to you really fast. Best tip: preparation is going to ease your transition.

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ive never done this before michael, what I meant earlier was that I had more spirit back then. I was a better person, more care free, less stressed, more hopefull, innocent I guess. And fate, the biggest motivation and reasons for wanting to travel is just, if it makes sence, the call of the wild. I feel like I constantly want to move, travel, run. I cant sit still. I knew from an early age, like really little, that I would never grow up to live in one place. I mean here I am a little kid knowing full well that im going to grow up to be some sort of drifter. Its just whats in my heart I guess.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
follow your heart, read all the info on here that you may think will pertain to what style of travel you may want to do. look in the 'gear thread' and look at different people's list of what they carry in they're packs. save up a bit of money maybe a few hundred dollers to fall back on if things dont go as planned. and then head for the highway. if this is really what you want you'll find ways to make it work for you. pull your boots and your chin up and get the fuck out there. you can do it!!!!! :D

K

Kim Chee

Hi Sonny,
Some of the baggage that we acquire as we grow up instills feelings of fear, insecurity and a bunch of other things that keep us from reaching our potential. You are in the right place (stp) to get all the guidance and reassurance
you need to take the next step. Try to avoid cheating yourself and suddenly rush out the door unprepared. I'm sure you've been thinking about it for awhile and taking these last few steps are going to make it a more enjoyable
experience. There's loads of quality information in the threads about what to pack, leaving the great indoors, etc. Take some time, look around. You might even meet somebody who is in your area or will be passing through
soon.
Sl1Cx5j8bCjwH75CGqFtgGqi4L-ucgSvGcUQhZ8KLLz3MDtRwI.jpg

Sonny

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, this site has been very helpful, ive tried a few others over the past few months and they all seem to be pretty inactive, this ones full of life. Im really leaning on the side of doing this, Im thinking about trying to find a rideshare off craigslist as close to new orleans as possible and then just taking it from there. My biggest problem is, time really isnt on my side, in 3 weeks Ive got to make a decision whether or not I want to move down to florida, in which I have to really commit to staying there for a year. The option to stay here in NY is non existent though, not for any other reason than I just cant take the poison of it all anymore.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Just...go?
I like traveling, but I also like material things quite a bit, too. Find migrant labor or something similar, or save up enough to properly finance your trips. I used to ride trains while working a full time job. Obviously you can't go as far but you can combine lifestyles; I don't think its as black and white as "homeless traveler" or "office job with family".

So yeah, make sure you're prepared and just go. Worst case scenario, you get a few states over and realize, while freezing or getting rained on, that this isn't what you want. Or maybe you realize it's exactly what you want. Whatever.

cXr - just do it

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Really all you need to do is get some gear and hit the highway. Although, it might be better to arrange a rideshare or take the greyhound a bit south at this point. I'm also in NY and contemplating leaving again soon, but my cold weather gear is lacking, so that's what I may do.

This site had enough information that I knew enough to feel confident heading out alone my first time. Just do some reading until you're more comfortable with the idea.

mike

Nemo

Reaction score
It's too late, it's too late, they won't let go. Follow five footsteps through that open door.

Critically think it through.. What does a human being need to subsist? Warmth, water, food!
You don't need to save up any money at all... you can. It certainly doesn't hurt to take extra precautions.
But you really don't need to! Everything you need, take faith in the squat gods.. that they will provide :p

Just last night I'm pretty schwill and we go out on a beer run and in our drunkenness did not realize that it's past 2AM. Go up to the register and they're not selling.
We go do some dumpster diving with food on the brain... Pizza hut, Lil Caesars, then food lion. First bag I touch @ food lion has two twelve packs of brews, miller and geroge kilians! Only 3 bottles are broken from the bunch. Not to mention the cookies, bread, doughnuts, strawberries, whole pineapple, 3 pizzas, bread, tortillas, milk and chocolate milk we got. All delicious as fuck.

Spange for money, dumpster for food, hitch hike for travel.
-Keep the pack light, maybe a few items for food on the days in between cities
-Pepper spray / knife for protection. Carry with you your intuition
-Cold weather gear: Thermals, Gloves, toboggan etc.
-Paint Pen / giant sharpie for cardboard sign spanging
-If you've got talent, bring it and what it uses along with you for busking
-0 deg. Sleeping bag Wal-mart is doing a 0 deg. mummy bag buy one get one free online for $25-30 Can't vouch for it, but it's cheap and worth a try.

Above all else, f r e e y o u r m i n d & y o u r a s s w i l l f o l l o w
I sent you a message a little while ago.. I want a road dog; so let's travel!

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
What part of NY are you in? If you have any specific questions as to routes or resources on the road for the east coast southbound (and to a lesser extent, the I-10 west trip), or if you're looking for a possible travel partner, hit me up.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
-0 deg. Sleeping bag Wal-mart is doing a 0 deg. mummy bag buy one get one free online for $25-30 Can't vouch for it, but it's cheap and worth a try.

That's a good deal if the bag is compact enough. Only walmart bag I ever owned took up like 75% of my packs main compartment (medium ALICE). I'll have to check it out.

mike

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads