Long distance walkers

dolittle

Reaction score
I'm not really into trains, so this one is for the long distence walker/hikers.
When hikeing across country, what gear do you carry? Like a tent, tarp, hatchet, cook gear... as in pan bowel, spatula, ect. Does anyone carry a pellet gun for small game hunting? Do you find it hard to raid people garden patchor hen house?

Jawline

Reaction score
Id carry the same stuff as if i was hopping. Sleepingbag, tarp, mat. Small pot for cooking, knife. I used to varry a pellet gun for fun, make sure you store the bbs and magazine in a separate place as the gun if youre walking in towns so the cops dont fuck with you for it. And anything else ya think youll need. Thats pretty much all i have

E

Earth

Knife + Water, that's it...
And the knife is not for hunting, it's for self defense*.
*Because anyone who comes up to me is automatically considered a threat.

dolittle

Reaction score
Wow, Earth! U do stick with the Basics. I have heard of a lot of guy who can survive this way. I, unfortunately, am not one of them. The reason I'm asking isn't cause I'm going on a walk about. But because I'm getting ready to move n2 a small home made house boat. And by small I'm talking 18ft. But I figure hikers only carry bare basics, this seems like a good rule for boating, too. I was kinda trying to see what folks with experience prefer. Except for the garden & henhouse, that was just quriosaty. I have googled it. Even Utube'd it. But most of that info seem to come from people more into reading & preaching S.H.T.F., than from folks who actually practice what they preach. So, figured I'd go to the experts with it.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i've done a lot of walking (hwy and trail) and the main things i carried were: sleeping bag + bivy and small green tarp or rain fly from another tent, small alki stove with bottle of fuel, dried food with LOTS of calories (100 per oz. of food), 4+ pair of socks (wool), 50ft paracord, multi-tool/knife, atlas and a big ass sharpie :) ...poncho when i had one, trash bag when i didn't.

dolittle

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Tent I don't really need, boat has a small shelter built onto it. I'm thinkin hard on the alki stove, may have to modify it slightly to be more stable on the water. A friend is making a small wood stove from a grease drum. This will set just outside the shelter. Hmm..extra rope. Need to put that on my list.

K

Kim Chee

If I told you how little shit I set out with, people might follow suit and freeze. I don't
care how much shit you have, if you plan right and can bed down warm that is the shit.

Bare minimum for me:
I carry water.
No food.
No cash.
A blanket (usually).
Soap/paper towels.
Change of clothes.
Good attitude.
Misc. hygiene products.

Key is: be able to settle in a spot before it gets too cold: i.e.: hawaii, southern states,
U-Haul trailer, abandoned building, warm air exhaust, etc.

Cardboard can work as a blanket, put a couple layers under your body and save some
larger pieces to go over. Be sure to use it to shield you from the wind if you are
exposed.

*also, if you get very cold in the middle of the night, get your ass up and start
moving before you get frostbitten, go dumpster dive for 1/2 hour, get some food
and get back to bed warm.

**If you must, shelters are an option. I once stayed in a jail lobby overnight
to escape harsh conditions (they were happy to run me and let me stay).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads