Learning From the Natives | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Learning From the Natives

A

AlwaysLost

Thank you, friend. :3

Any chance you could further elaborate in how you built a friendship with them? Especially to the point of being invited to a pow wow. That would be awesome.

Nothing special really. Just basic human interaction at the old shelter really. After i got to know them i started bartering with them . Sometimes If I was in the woods and found a nice piece of medicine I would give it away. I made friends with one of the kids at the shelter and he stook up for me.

There's a local Artesan here I made friends with over time. Bald eagles live in the trees where I camp sometimes and I recovered a tail feather. He had a license to own them so giving him something that special earned me a lot of kudos. He was the one who invited me and I helped him run the booth with his family.

I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner but a pow wow might be a good place for you to start making friends and networking. Most are open to the public. Its religious but its also a big giant party with dancing and vendors and food. Indian tacos are delicious.

Learn to identify Coyote tobacco as well. I found some in the woods and cured it. Its the most sacred of tobaccos and the religious will trade for it. I saved it for the powwow and they allowed me to sit in their circle. That was one of my only good memories of being homeless.

I moved away for 5 years and most of them have moved on now. But I still don't get hassled which is important if your homeless long term in this town.

Most Natives are normal everyday 9-5 people these days with homes and jobs though like Mocktail said. But pow wows are a blast I highly recommend them. And your more likely to find people who still care about the old ways.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Nomadic Wolf

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Nothing special really. Just basic human interaction at the old shelter really. After i got to know them i started bartering with them . Sometimes If I was in the woods and found a nice piece of medicine I would give it away. I made friends with one of the kids at the shelter and he stook up for me.

There's a local Artesan here I made friends with over time. Bald eagles live in the trees where I camp sometimes and I recovered a tail feather. He had a license to own them so giving him something that special earned me a lot of kudos. He was the one who invited me and I helped him run the booth with his family.

I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner but a pow wow might be a good place for you to start making friends and networking. Most are open to the public. Its religious but its also a big giant party with dancing and vendors and food. Indian tacos are delicious.

Learn to identify Coyote tobacco as well. I found some in the woods and cured it. Its the most sacred of tobaccos and the religious will trade for it. I saved it for the powwow and they allowed me to sit in their circle. That was one of my only good memories of being homeless.

I moved away for 5 years and most of them have moved on now. But I still don't get hassled which is important if your homeless long term in this town.

Most Natives are normal everyday 9-5 people these days with homes and jobs though like Mocktail said. But pow wows are a blast I highly recommend them. And your more likely to find people who still care about the old ways.

Wow... Thank you, man. I really appreciate all the awesome tips.
How do you know when a pow wow is being held?

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I would also recommend Pow Wow's. They're a pretty common occurrence all over the country, really depends on where your at. There's a huge one around Galcier National Park in late summer I think (i was there for set up one year, I think it was late august) but really wherever you are there's probably one happening over the summer or fall nearish to you. Most that I've checked out haven't really had much going on in skill building, but I've mostly just walked around a few for couple hrs, so don't take my word for it, its a big country.

A

AlwaysLost

Wow... Thank you, man. I really appreciate all the awesome tips.
How do you know when a pow wow is being held?

Your welcome man!

I'd try to google pow wow in the general location. Its usually in may here and the University posts it but my friend told me about it.

And like Santana said its a good idea to make sure its open to the public heh. I'm sure they'd just politely ask you to leave if it wasn't but its not a party id want to crash lol.

You may already know this but I learned the hard way trying to be politically correct.

Never call them Native Americans that's offensive as hell. America was some rich European guy and not what they called this land.

Native is best but most won't care if you even call them Indians.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads