Learning From the Natives | Squat the Planet

Learning From the Natives

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
I want to backpack, hitchhike, train hop, and nomad my way across the country. Nonetheless, I must give heed to the original fuel behind my drive, which was to quest for knowledge regarding wilderness survival and self-reliance. With this in mind, I turn to the natives of north America. Who better to learn from than them? The only problem is that I have no idea where to look, who to go to, or what it will cost in monetary terms.

Does anyone know where I could go to learn from native Americans in the continental US (as inexpensively as possible)?

A

AlwaysLost

I want to backpack, hitchhike, train hop, and nomad my way across the country. Nonetheless, I must give heed to the original fuel behind my drive, which was to quest for knowledge regarding wilderness survival and self-reliance. With this in mind, I turn to the natives of north America. Who better to learn from than them? The only problem is that I have no idea where to look, who to go to, or what it will cost in monetary terms.

Does anyone know where I could go to learn from native Americans in the continental US (as inexpensively as possible)?

I'd hit YouTube there is a wealth of information out there just from our computer. Google primitive survival skills.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Dude there is a wealth of information on what you are looking for right here in our subforums. I used to point people to a forum that was associated with the backpacking magazine but I'm not finding it but there is also a bunch of other backpacking forums out there, so it is not just the native americans :) Lots of info out there

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
@AlmostAlwaysLost
@Tude

I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there. I have read the books, I have read the forums, I have watched the videos, the TV series, and the documentaries. I am not quite seeking for the knowledge itself but rather an experienced mentor or group from which I can learn first hand, in person. I have the SAS Survival Handbook, Advanced Bushcrafting, and Edible Insects in my pack. I am looking to add rich and guided experience to my knowledge and advanced skill to my experiences. Can I achieve this on my own? Certainly. Others have achieved far more with far less in very undesirable circumstances. Even so I simply to learn well and quickly. I have much to learn, and an unknown amount of time to do it. The sooner I learn more, the better. I need the experience.

Last edited:

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
If you're fantasizing about a Native tribe adopting you and showing you how to start fires and hunt buffalo, you're shit out of luck. While I'm sure there are some people still doing wilderness survival stuff, it is the 21st century so I'd say most Native people are probably living a standard 9-5 life. If you're looking for someone to take you into the woods, there must be organizations that do that for a fee. Or do the research and learn by trying things.

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
There is a book, or series of zines from the 80's - Naked into the Wilderness that gives simple instructions on living off the land. A lot of buck skinners started with this book. Learning by doing and making your own mistakes will teach you more about lost skills than anyone can teach you.

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
There is a book, or series of zines from the 80's - Naked into the Wilderness that gives simple instructions on living off the land. A lot of buck skinners started with this book. Learning by doing and making your own mistakes will teach you more about lost skills than anyone can teach you.

Wow... thank you very much. I suppose you are right.

A

AlwaysLost

@AlmostAlwaysLost
@Tude

I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there. I have read the books, I have read the forums, I have watched the videos, the TV series, and the documentaries. I am not quite seeking for the knowledge itself but rather an experienced mentor or group from which I can learn first hand, in person. I have the SAS Survival Handbook, Advanced Bushcrafting, and Edible Insects in my pack. I am looking to add rich and guided experience to my knowledge and advanced skill to my experiences. Can I achieve this on my own? Certainly. Others have achieved far more with far less in very undesirable circumstances. Even so I simply to learn well and quickly. I have much to learn, and an unknown amount of time to do it. The sooner I learn more, the better. I need the experience.

I'd go with any wilderness survival instructor. I don't understand why it has to be native. A class in edible plants in your area of operations would be the most beneficial. Don't fall into the fantasy that you can survive indefinitely on your own ('winter is coming'). It took a village of Native people to survive. Those who were exiled usually perished. If I had the money I'd go to the annual trapping college, take classes in edibles. Tracking school etc. I think your discounting YouTube too quickly. I learned how to make fire with a bowdrill from Mitch at native survival just on YouTube.

Last edited:

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
I'd go with any wilderness survival instructor. I don't understand why it has to be native. A class in edible plants in your area of operations would be the most beneficial. Don't fall into the fantasy that you can survive indefinitely on your own. It took a village of Native people to survive. Those who were exiled usually perished. If I had the money I'd go to the annual trapping college, take classes in edibles. Tracking school. I think your discounting YouTube too quickly. I learned how to make fire with a bowdrill from Mitch at native survival just on YouTube.

I am not discounting YouTube at all. A large chunk of what I know has come from YouTube.

As far as classes, I can't afford to take them. All that I have seen is over $600 for a few hours out of the day. Besides, I don't want to be another pupil. I want to make a friend who I can go out and enjoy nature with while also learning from them. I am not trying to get "adopted" into a tribe, as someone mentioned above. I just want to work, learn, make friends where I can, and get back on the road.

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Have you thought of WOOFFing it a an organic farm that is working with old school techniques?

Yeah! I have considered that, and I look forward to participating in it. The thing is, it is not only about growing my own food and learning how to do so, but it is about hunting, making fires, wilderness hygiene, trapping with handmade traps, etc. I appreciate that idea, though. Thank you.

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Get in touch with these guys:

http://thebuckskinners.com/wp/

A lot of them do their own equipment and know the old ways.

Thank you so much, man! I can't express to you how much I appreciate the helpful input. I like your style; you give useful suggestions instead of making excuses as to why it can't be done. You must make a great worker. Anyhow, again, thank you.

A

AlwaysLost

Good luck with that. If your Native it will help. But they are usually pretty cliqueish in my experience. I've had to work very hard to get on their good side. Its taken years and a found eagle feather to build a relationship with them here and I still don't know any who would teach me their 'ways'. I did get invited to a pow wow though that was great fun.

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Good luck with that. If your Native it will help. But they are usually pretty cliqueish in my experience. I've had to work very hard to get on their good side. Its taken years and a found eagle feather to build a relationship with them here and I still don't know any who would teach me their 'ways'. I did get invited to a pow wow though that was great fun.

Thank you, friend. :3

Any chance you could further elaborate in how you built a friendship with them? Especially to the point of being invited to a pow wow. That would be awesome.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads