Last Time through Rosevile | Squat the Planet

Last Time through Rosevile

J

Johnny P

We rolled into the arrival yard around Noon having just caught out of Klamath Falls. My road dog and I hopped a few strings and found ourselves on Roseville Road East of the yard. We hiked over the foothills bridge and onto the Roseville Market to resupply and then catch out to Colton to continue our journey to Texas. I'm always a little apprehensive about this yard cuz I always run into the worst kind of kids here. You know the types. Wasted, talking big of going in whatever direction, meanwhile missing every train they can and just being general morons. Plus, I wanted to avoid any interactions with Officer Flood of the Roseville PD and any interaction with the bulls.

We got to the Roseville Market where we stocked up a few more cans, chatted with Bob (The nice guy who owns the market), filled up our jugs and then continued on to the departure yard to hopefully catch out as soon as possible. As we walked toward the quarry we noticed three kids sitting in the open on the field. I gave a courteous wave but we continued walking past. I was not in the mood to hang out with other riders, especially knowing the types that frequent Roseville. As we continued on we saw two more. We exchanged formalities as they said they were going to go to the Market to spange for beer(of course), and then catching out to Oregon, where we had just come from. They said there were 3 more in the jungle. We continued on deciding not go to the jungle but found a spot closer to the yard so we could keep our eye on departures and trace cars.
We weren't sitting in for more than 10 minutes when a rider came up. He was a large kid with a small puppy and talked waaaay too loud. Since he was going the same way as us he invited himself to join us. Me and my road dog looked at each other and were slightly annoyed by this.

It wasn't long before we were joined by two more riders. They were going east. It wasn't long before an eastbound manifest pulled onto the mainline for a crew change with several open boxcars and they were gone. Then the rest of the crew joined. There was one wet brained drunk who was super annoying and boasted of his liver failure and bragged about he got stranded in Donner Pass cuz he got off the train when sided and then promptly passed out. I was getting more annoyed by the second.
I went to the yard to trace trains. Nothing going south but there was a Northbound sitting on track 3. I mentioned this to the 4 kids that were going north and two of them went to get on it. The wetbrain, tried but collapsed on the way and passed out in the field. The other kid was too distracted by the only girl in the group who happened to be going to Oakland (no surprise there). The NBD pulled out and that left us with the wet brain, who had made his way back, the couple who were going in opposite directions, and the large, loud kid with the puppy.
I
t wasn't long before it got dark and the crew complained of being cold so they all went back to the jungle to be by the fire. They seemed offended when we told them we were staying to continue to wait for a southbound. The loud kid was only waiting for the daily IM that would take him to LA. "I only ride IM's and piggybacks" he loudly boasted.
Soon after they left two more kids arrived. A couple who looked like they had just decided to stop hitchhiking and start riding a train that day. They were also going to the Bay Area (again, no surprise) They said this is where the CCG had led them and they had never been to this yard. I doubted that they had been to any yard. I pointed to the yard and said sort of rudely, "there's the departure yard, that's all you need" They continued past us.

I went back to the yard and traced cars. It was the emptiest I'd ever seen those departure tracks. We passed out for the night and woke up in the morning. I immediately went into the yard to trace cars. Still nothing going south. I looked over the hill behind us and there were 5 more fuckin kids all of whom looked like they had just rolled in from the local mall. We learned that they had just rolled in from Oakland. (no surprise again) The loud kid continue to talk about how he was going to get a piggy in a skirt all the way to LA.
A doublestack pulled in on the mainline and I traced it to Oakland. We watched three kids, two of which must've changed their mind and followed the girl. They didn't make it because the wet brain, again, collapsed on the way and passed out in the field. They all walked disappointingly back to the jungle.

All the new kids were going south too. "Great", I thought. Just then we watched them push a string onto track 4. Loaded lumber, empty boxes, a possible southbound. As I mentioned that this would possibly be a southbound, one kid, over excited put on his gear and looked around aimlessly like a lost puppy. "Which one is South?", he asked, "Which one is going south? "Relax kid", i said, "it don't have power yet, when they attach power we will know" It wasn't long before we watched power get attached. "Well" , I said to my road dog, "Lets go" "Where you guys going?" somebody in the group asked. " To catch out" I dryly responded. They watched in awe as we went and started to walk towards the yard to get on the train. None of them moved even though they had all been very eager to catch out minutes before.
We hopped two strings and found a nice open boxcar. I traced it to somewhere in Arizona and it had an estimated departure time of an hour later. It finally pulled an hour late and we were quite glad to be out of there.

railroadron

Reaction score
Cool story! I used to catch out of this yard back when it was still SP and everyone caught under the rainbow bridge going north. Who you callin old fucker!! :cool: yeah I rolled into RSVL 2 weeks ago and ran into punk ass Flood. I pulled out my not working camera and stated I had the right to film the encounter and suddenly he changed his tune and was all polite and shit..strictly by the book. He turned all red and you could tell he wanted to punch me..the fuckin prick! Glad he didnt know my camera wasnt working. I asked if if he was profiling me cause i had a pack on..he replied " nope..just routine ID check. I m housed up for the holidays with my sister alternating with my neice..in Sacramento. come Jan..I ll be headed North to PDX and Seattle ..then? Canada? Alaska? Highline? who knows..I ll ask magic 8 ball

J

Johnny P

Flood really ain't too bad once he realizes you're not a drunk scummy fuck...he does totally abuse his power though I agree. I can imagine that the Roseville PD and the Roseville Special Agents are just tired of there town being overrun by a bunch of train riding idiots. I am too actually. Catching out of Roseville has become a circus

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yowzzers......... no idea it was that bad there...no offense to anyone but i feel like california somehow breeds idiots more than other states...been a couple years since i was out and about, forgot about how "crowded" some towns can get....... esp on the west coast....

railroadron

Reaction score
yowzzers......... no idea it was that bad there...no offense to anyone but i feel like california somehow breeds idiots more than other states...been a couple years since i was out and about, forgot about how "crowded" some towns can get....... esp on the west coast....
The thing is BP..these idiot kids are from abroad..not Cali natives.

Reactions: Mongo
D

Deleted member 125

buddy of mine just rolled through those parts and had the same thing to say, oogle-ville. such a shame, from what i hear those parts are realy fun to ride through especially at this time of the year.

i like to drink, infact ide admit to having a bit of a habbit, but keeping yer shit together when in a big yard like that is day one stuff, walking around like a drunk idiot warrents attention from bulls/local cops and i have no sympathy for people who get busted acting like a asshole in these situations. also the people who invited themselves to ride with you would of thrown me over the edge, thats just plain annoying.

J

Johnny P

Actually Ron, over half of the kids were in fact Cali natives. Cali kids who go from Oakland to Roseville, down to Colton and some of them get on the wrong train and end up on a NBD...Nobody ever thinks about catching out East. When we told kids we were on our way to Texas they all turned up their noses and were like "ugh, why would you want to go to Texas?" My response..."Because of that reaction right there"

bmb666

Reaction score
I never had many bad experiences with roseville. It's such an easy and convenient yard to get out of in a lot of directions, and it's all right next to the roseville market which hooks it up. My last experience there involved kids constantly coming in, and getting out before me. I was alone and fooling around, doing shit like deciding to go grab some beers for the ride figuring my NBD wouldn't be departing until about 9 to find it pulling away at 8:30 as I roll back towards the field. Finally found a crew and ended up getting out with them. Workers never give me shit there either.

Aurelius

Reaction score
hey maybe no one left with you because you're a dick, just saying. when you hopped your first train you were probably just as much of a dork as those kids you resent oh so eloquently

J

Johnny P

^^^First off...you don't know me, I was actually pretty nice to those kids, Trying to help them as much as I could with getting their particular trains.

Second off, I didn't want any of them to ride with me and neither did my road dog. I was glad they all just sat there.

Third of all, when I hopped my first train, I did it alone and didn't need any one to hold my hand.
Why don't you stick to being an office clerk instead of judging from afar. I'm pretty sure if you were to my face you wouldn't call me a dick, you'd probably just be passive aggressive like most other Californians. I am actually a pretty nice guy who gladly shares train info and other things.

I'm in Texas, come find me if you have a problem with me kid. Oh wait, your probably scared of Texas like most Cali kids. Good stay in Cali and out of Texas, the cops here don't like Californians.

J

Johnny P

I resent them because they blow up train yards, not because they are dorks. I am a dork too, always have been always will be. So fuck you dude.

D

Deleted member 2626

HAhah good ole internet mouth, er typing battles. That the thing man can't say too much without people saying something to try to make you seem like a dick

bmb666

Reaction score
I resent them because they blow up train yards, not because they are dorks. I am a dork too, always have been always will be. So fuck you dude.

How were they blowing it up by passing out in the field? The field is off yard property. I get what you mean, sometimes I get the feel that I'm blowing a place up just by being there too long but in all reality it's nothing. Blown up is in the 30s where 100 hobos are inside of a boxcar, not a few kids a week getting on a car. Roseville is a major place for trains, it's to be expected to have all types of people rolling thru.

Reactions: Pixie Walden
J

Johnny P

^^^Common things I see that blow up yards....

drinking in sight of the yard (take that shit to the woods)
leaving trash behind (there is an incredible about of trash in Roseville, especially in that field)
rolling with more than 4 people (self-explanatory)
going into the yard in front of workers (discretion!)
simply by being there in a large group you draw attention to yourself and blow up the spot

Things that to me are just annoying

Catching out drunk, or attempting to do so
rolling in large crews
talking big like you've been riding trains so long but you haven't been anywhere but California.\
hanging out and drinking by the yard.

If your their to catch a train, then fucking do it. Those kids said they wanted to go north, so I pointed out their NBD and they still failed. Kids wanted to go south, I pointed out the SBD, and Fail. Whats the point of hanging out at the train yard if your not gonna catch out, to be cool. Def don't see that shit in Texas, or Wyoming, or Idaho.

I guess in Cali its just another type of hipster. "I ride trains, I'm so cool, I can get from Oakland to Roseville and back again. I'm a trainhopper, I ride them freight trains brother" pffft /ENDRANT Yes I am a dick, but only if I don't like you.

Aurelius

Reaction score
Yeah you're right I don't know jack about you, but in your story you came off pretty hostile and too cool for school towards a bunch of randoms who were attempting to take part in a lifestyle you hold in high esteem. But you don't know everything about me either, for your information I am no longer an office clerk, and this year I rode trains and hitch hiked all the way to the east coast, where I drank many a $1 tall can of Crazy Stallion. And you're right, I generally don't walk around calling people dicks, unless they're total pieces of shit, or I'm drunk.

I have no desire to "come find you in texas", I have absolutely no problem with you. And its not because I'm some punk-ass bitch either. I was born in the ghetto, and one time a bullet flew through the window and hit the backboard of my bed when I was but a wee lad; they found a body in the middle of the street on the block I lived on weeks after, some drug deal gone bad or some shit left a 20 year old woman stabbed to death. I'm not saying I'm some kind of thug or anything but I've been exposed to violence and general fucked up shit my whole life, texas is just some other place, and I hope you enjoy being there as much as I enjoy this beer I'm drinking.

Unslap

Reaction score
Yea bob is the shit, he gave us free food, and vodka once. I dont let workers see me with my pack even if im not drinking. But i dont mind gettin on trains drunk just keep it DL... Like not passing out in a field

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads