Kindle. . .. | Squat the Planet

Kindle. . ..

D

Deleted member 2626

Was given one by my moms boyfriend. Despite my kind of detestation for tech. It is kind of neat. I figure I can always sell or trade later. I tried the prime free signup and downloaded tunes and movies but I don't think they'll play once it runs out and without WiFi. Anyone have ideas or tips or info to acquire free music and movies to download? Would be nice while tent bound in rain or long winter nights in my shack. Plan to acquire key board s well for writing.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if you can determine what kind of kindle it is, you can jailbreak/root it which will let you do all kinds of neat things, but mainly read book formats that aren't mobi (kindle's format).

on a side note, most people don't realize that you can email 'documents' to your kindle so you can read them on it. i believe this works only with mobi and pdf formats, but you can google for '(book title) epub' and download books that way and use the program calibre to convert them to mobi format.

overall, it's really easy to pirate ebooks.

Sarong

Reaction score
I use mp3s.ws for my music. U can search by song title, artist, or album name. :) For movies I use a1cinemas.com. U can download in 3GP or MP4 format and the movies r usually in 2 parts for the download. I have windows 7 home premium on my old lappy and it wouldnt play the MP4's; however it will play the 3GP. This website is a lil tricky if uve nvr used that kind of site b4. If u misclick it can redirect and ive got messages sayin virus on phone but I just back out of all misclicks b4 ne redirect sites come up. After u search and find a movie u want to download, click on the movie.....scroll down and click on the format version and part 1.....u will go to a download confirmation page - click on "click here to go to download page." On the next page u will c an orange button that says "download now." I then back up 2 pages then proceed to download part 2 of the movie in the same manner. I have come across a couple movies that didnt get sound. Sometimes the speech and lip movement in movie isnt right, but overall I think is good website to download full movies for FREE!!! Hope u enjoy!!! :)

roguetrader

Reaction score
i'm not totally sure which Operating System is used on a Kindle but if its Android then there's an excellent app called TubeMate which is basically a YouTube downloader that seems to work with 99% of content on there - if you (or anyone else) want to get this app make sure it comes from a site called Android Freeware - i have heard there are some versions out there that contain virus's / malware but this one is safe.... nowadays i use TubeMate for most of my downloads - its possible to select the resolution of the video from low quality (but quick download and small file size) up to full HD.... you can also extract the audio to MP3 and other formats which reduces the size of the files somewhat.... its amazing how much underground / alternative stuff there is on YouTube these days and its there for the taking with TubeMate.......

@Matt Derrick - i know you busy with the rest of the site but if you get a minute could you briefly explain the benefits of rooting a device - i have a Nexus 7 which i have heard is ripe for rooting and hacking but i not sure WHY i should do this ?

Reactions: EphemeralStick

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Sarong - if you have trouble playing MP4's or other files VLC Media Player will supposedly play anything you throw at it.... once again be careful as there are a few infected versions out there, maybe Google a discussion about which sites have the safe version.....

Sarong

Reaction score
ya my new lappy has windows 8.1 on it so I cant even put a dvd in the disc drive and play it. I need 2 get an application as u mentioned, but y do that when my old lappy has always b4 and currently plays just about nething cept that MP4. I did some research and seems MP4 is replacing the AVI format. I also have a program that I can convert ne format in2 almost ne other format as well. :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ya my new lappy has windows 8.1 on it so I cant even put a dvd in the disc drive and play it. I need 2 get an application as u mentioned, but y do that when my old lappy has always b4 and currently plays just about nething cept that MP4. I did some research and seems MP4 is replacing the AVI format. I also have a program that I can convert ne format in2 almost ne other format as well. :)

use vlc - videolan.org

@Matt Derrick - i know you busy with the rest of the site but if you get a minute could you briefly explain the benefits of rooting a device - i have a Nexus 7 which i have heard is ripe for rooting and hacking but i not sure WHY i should do this ?

that's a pretty big subject that's better solved with a google search. if you don't have a specific need for rooting, you're probably fine without it. especially on a nexus 7 since that comes with stock android anyways.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
The Kindles Fire is a Android tablet with Amazon imposed limitations. I had one and it was ok, but later I opted for a Samsung Android tablet running the Kindle app, along with Aldiko for ePub and other formats. However, even with the Kindle fire, you can run apps to allow you to read formats other than Mobi, AZW and PDF (what Amazon's reader is confined to) I have a friend who had a Kindle Fire and he managed to root the device and the Android OS was then open to mod to normal Android tablet version. I also bought a solar charger for when I'm distance walking. I have about 5,000 books on my tablet and another 15 or more on a Dropbox account. Amazon has thousands of public domain books for free, local library has ebook check out programs, archive.org has tons as well as gutenberg and of course pirate sites. You'll never starve for something to read,

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads