Killing time on the road (1 Viewer)

kecleon

Pilgrim
Current Location
EU
maybe wittle a pipe out of a piece of wood
Howd you do that? I want to try it but have no idea how you'd hollow the mouthpiece tube to breath through, the bowl I could do with s knife pretty easy I guess.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

milkhauler

Pilgrim
Im a gadget geek and ebook reader. I also like tinkering with various mechanical mechanisms. I used to be a locksmith in PHX, so I still practice picking various pad locks I have around. Music is also on my go to list to kill time. I have a few train video's made by foamers. I have this one HD vid that is nearly 3 hrs of freights rolling by. Its kinda relaxing listening to those crossing bells and clickity clack. I've prolly played it 30 times in the last 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
find some cordage and make a sling, like in "David and Goliath". You would be surprised how far and fast you can fling railroad ballast.

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
Yeahhh slingshot. Guitar. Reading, writing. Grooming or fiddling with my dog. Sewing gear or clothes of making my leather craft stuff. Whittling sometimes. Drinking. Smoking pot at times. Other things at times.

Hillbilly Castro

Wanderer
Current Location
Westernville, NY
I talk to myself a lot. It's really good for ya to verbalize all your deepest thoughts and ideas as if you were explaining them to the grasshoppers next to the highway. After a while of doing that, I'll start singing. Then whistling. If hitchhiking, I can't tell ya how many times I've been belting Iron Maiden as theatrically as possible and have gotten picked up much faster - or did the time just go by easier?

Another good thing to do is to chat up random folks everywhere you go. Risk free socializing - eats away whatever anxieties you had about other people back in days housed up..

TChungMayMay

Maintainer of ancient travel tomes
Library Curator
Current Location
California
I have a journal that I've been carefully transcribing song lyrics into slowly but surely - it's useful for helping me memorize lyrics and it's a cool little thing that fits in a pocket. I also do some sewing, if I've got something that I want to ornament or that needs repairing, and I want to get a small but good embroidery frame so I can work on making new patches and stuff.

Current Location
Portugal
I just remember that much of the time I spent on the road was alone. Being around too many people or too much conversation wears me out as well.

Have you ever played sodoku?

I haven't, but a person can get plenty of distraction right there, on the cheap.
Sudoku is awesome

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
@buffalobill nice sling, I have made several. After a while, it becomes a hunt for the best sling stones. rr balast rocks fly funny, but hit hard. Great pastime, and have never been hassled for having it with me.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
I usually just smoke a shit-ton of crack. That always gives you SOMETHING to do......more like, everything to do...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3

Staff online

Members online