Keeping my shit dry from morning dew?

Asar

Reaction score
That's one of those things that's just gonna happen when sleeping outside. Maybe try putting your stuff in a garbage bag and pushing all of the air out so it can't condense on your shit.

K

katbastard

just a factor of life, but if its bad, try getting that water proof spray stuff, then right when you wake up start shaking all the due off

bryanpaul

Reaction score
you'll get dewed on less in trees and thick wooded areas than out in the open.... a tarp over you will keep the dew off also

12xPUKEx12

Reaction score
you'll get dewed on less in trees and thick wooded areas than out in the open.... a tarp over you will keep the dew off also
Tarp duuuh wrap that shit around you

Reactions: Nelco

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Silicon spray like scotchgard or similar brands work really well for gear (I guess this is what Kat means). I always buy a can of the shit when I get any new gear that will be exposed to the weather (backpack, bivy, sleeping bag), and soak it with this spray. Give it a few treatments (allowing time to dry in between) if you have some dry indoor place for enough time for it to dry. not only will the dew bead up and roll off, but things stay cleaner and less likely to mold.

Reactions: slurricane

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Tarps are good, I always carry one for emergencies, but if you are under it and breathing, you are going to make a lot of moisture too. Sometimes this can even be worse than the dew (depending on the climate where you are).

R

river dog

everyone is spot on here. lets assume dew is moisture in the air that clings to things, so stay away from tons of shit it can cling to like grass; being under a tree should be good for the leaves up top will get all wet, especially if there is little undergrowth, tarps work, waterproofing spray shit for yer gear works, just pay attention to your surroundings and these hassles like dew can be minimalised, i understand its hard to pay attention when yer stumbling around wasted in a town you dont know...haha

keg

Reaction score
i hate that shit.if your in the city,no dew,but you are in the city.In Japan in the winter it was a big problem.i just threw stuff away every so often and sole more stuff.

Unslap

Reaction score
Use cardboard, a hobo's best friend.
For all of you saying to waterproof your stuff, doesnt that trap all of the moisture in your pack, causing smelliness?

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Slicon spray isnt "water proofing" anything. Its almost like a plastic coat on the outside of the individual fibres. Breaths fine, but isnt absorbant. If you get rained on like hell, your shit is wet. A light rain, or a little dew, no problem. If you get moisture caught in your pack, you should try opening it once in while. I mean, if you are not needing to get to the things in your bag often enough to stop mildew, get rid of it.

Reactions: Nathen Reyna

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I use dry-bags in my backpack, the budget ones are quite cheap and, if you need to, they make perfectly servicable water carriers if you turn them inside out.They also make it a lot easier to keep the inside of your pack clean.
Smaller things go into ziplock bags. I have a look in the bins of shoe-shops from time to time, they usually have a few sachets of those moisture absorbing silicate granules in and those things are great for reducing dampness.

Reactions: Nathen Reyna

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads