Kansas kid wanting to take the plunge

Cussock

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm here seeking to learn all I can and prepare for the big plunge into ya'lls world. I'm a high school kid at the moment and as soon as I graduate I'm taking some gear and dipping to... somewhere, I guess. Thought about catching out on some tracks near my neighborhood, but after some extensive research I've concluded it's not worth the risk without a mentor of some sort. Don't really have a name yet, but ya'll can call me by my username until I find a proper thing to go by. I have some questions I'll just list below:

1. How does one best start prepping for the life?
2. Where should I go from Kansas?
3. Who should I talk to in order to make connections?

I've got about two years before I'm a legal adult, but I'm not planning on running away. No need to worry, folks. I just want to get all the info I can so I can be as prepared as I can get before liberating myself. Ask me anything at all!

MetalBryan

Reaction score

The life of sleeping outside? All you need is a tarp and string and some cardboard to sleep on. I've spent some time in Kansas so I'd recommend walking out into the rural areas and pitching camp. See what that is like and if you enjoy it. You can always upgrade your gear as you go along. A warm sleeping bag and a van would be my suggestions.

Living in the geographic center of the US has its advantages but Id follow the good weather for starters. Montreal is nice in the summer. Hit the Dirty Scouts Jambo and you can meet a few folks from this site in August.

I'd make friends with some Kansas locals who own the scenic land in your area. At best you can pick up some odd jobs to upgrade the gear. At worst you tell them you would like to practice camping on their property because it's so beautiful. If you get in their good graces you'll always have a safe place for retreat.

keep up posted about what you discover!

jeejthecat

Reaction score
Great choice. You're in a decently easy area to navigate.

Depends. Are you looking to hop freight? Get a crew change. If you don't know where, just ask.
The ratio of your pack sort of changes with how you travel. Some good universals are-
Bring food! Top ramen (while being not great for you) is lightweight, cheap, and can be made without heat (just crunch it and pour some water in the bag). Peanutbutter is another good one. Jerky if you can afford it.
Water water water! That shit will save your life! Don't rely on being able to pillage rail waters- units are usually locked nowadays. And the whole "I'll just drink from a stream" thing doesn't work when you hit areas with oil spills.
Get a tarp. Someone already said this but it's important. Being cold is nothing compared to being wet during the better part of the year. I know the blue ones are cheaper but spring for brown.
Get a mummy bag. They're the warmest by far.
Figure out a pack that won't fuck your back up. Make sure you can jump and run with it. Don't leave anything hanging off of it. Don't wanna get pulled under anything.
Shoes. This seems pretty obvious but please don't subject yourself to canvas/sneakers. You're gonna be on your feet an awful lot. Be comfortable.

I would say West because it's sort of easy mode.
But where do you want to go? Do you know of any bands that you really like that are touring? Music is a fantastic thing to follow.
Just don't get on any coal rides in wyoming or any other processing states.

Railfans are a good start. Rainbow kids if you're into that. They have rideshare groups on facebook that are good places to look. If you need to be added to any in the future just ask.

Most of these are tips for being on foot to some capacity. Rubber tramping is another story. Way less to worry about but way more of a monetary drag.

Cussock

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I've got a trip planned this upcoming spring break for a farm out in Franklin county so I can get accustomed to the wilderness. Think I'll attempt to go West, Washington sounds very nice in the summer, and less awful bugs to deal with. I'll write all this down!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads