Photos Just got this mandolin...

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just picked this beauty up, and after playing in a GDAE tuning vs. A EADGBE tuning, I have realized this instrument is going to be WAY easier to learn than guitar. 😍
20200212_152843.jpg
20200212_152901.jpg

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That's fucking gorgeous! I wish my hands weren't so fucking huge, I'd love to play one of those. I can't even form an A chord on a guitar my fingers are so ridiculously large.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Eng JR Lupo RV323 ya I thought for a long time that my hands were too large to play mandolin as well, that is why I picked up an irish bouzouki, it's essentially a guitar sized mandolin, easier to play big chords.

But then I realized it was not nearly as versatile, after I sat down with a mandolin, I realized that there are so many variations of chords for the tuning, that you can used more spaced out chords in lieu of the tightly grouped ones. It's a versitile instrument that almost anyone can play. There are some HUGE mandolin players out there

• Agree
Reactions: MetalBryan

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh true, I know the guy from Profane Sass was a large fellow, and played it well. I guess I've never really checked out the chord formations on em.

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Chords on the mandolin are INCREDIBLY easier than guitar. Also if you learn either the mandolin, banjo, or fiddle you have essentially learned them all, because they all have the same tuning.

Hobo richard

Reaction score
Just picked this beauty up, and after playing in a GDAE tuning vs. A EADGBE tuning, I have realized this instrument is going to be WAY easier to learn than guitar. 😍
View attachment 54421 View attachment 54422
Wow what a beauty! I cant hardly look at it however, as i have been lusting for one of these carved lovlies for 40 years! Must avert eyes...

D

Deleted member 13433

Tuning in 5ths is a lot of fun [how your mandolin is tuned, vs. 4ths for a guitar] for many years I played electric bass tuned C G D A, then later on D A E G which is kind of a hybrid tuning, but it gets you thinking in ways you never otherwise would.

That instrument is a real beauty you got there, best of all: acoustic !!

May it bring you much joy in the years to come :) :) :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads