Just got off a greyhound and they lost my pack.

watson

Reaction score
Yeah got on in El Paso to Phoenix they checked my ticket said drop your pack for under storage I got on and it’s not here. What shit luck huh? I’m lucky I have my phone and phone charger on me. They took my information and just said if they find it they’ll call.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah got on in El Paso to Phoenix they checked my ticket said drop your pack for under storage I got on and it’s not here. What shit luck huh? I’m lucky I have my phone and phone charger on me. They took my information and just said if they find it they’ll call.
That's bullshit. They should reimburse you for the cost of your ticket and pay for new gear. I would have made a big fuss about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Odin and Coywolf

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I've had this happen before. They grabbed my pack for being suspicious at a 10 minute stop without telling me and had to wait two weeks for it to show up. Hope you're somewhere warm.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, I've heard of this happening alot on the bus. Everytime we stop/switch busses, let people off, I watch everything they are doing with the bags outside the bus, and make sure my bag isint being messed with/stolen.

I hate greyhound so freakin' much...

germanbini

Reaction score
I've often wondered when taking the MegaBus j ust watching people pull out luggage from underneath, it certainly looks like people can take out whatever they want, since I've never seen a driver or anyone checking tags or making sure the bags belong to whomever is retrieving them. :( I hope you get your bag back soon, or at least similar and better supplies replaced!

Reactions: Odin

ali

Reaction score
Something i often do when i have the luxury of getting into a relatively empty bus is get a window seat on the curb side. This way it's somewhat easier to see if someone walks off with your shit when you're at a stop.

Other standard travel tips apply: having a shitty/beat-up bag works in your favor because it doesn't look worth the effort to steal, have something unique on your bag so other people won't mix it up with theirs, and bring valuables (passport, money, electronics) to your seat in a small sack.

If you can swing it, it might be better to get on the bus outside of the main terminal so that you can see the driver put the bag into the bus yourself. In North America, the downtown bus terminals tend to be pretty sketchy anyways, so it might be less stressful to just wait at a gas station or shopping mall in the burbs. On the other hand, you often then also give up your chance for a good seat.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

croc

Reaction score
Fuck dude, that's one of my biggest fears on busses. Sorry u gotta deal w their incompetence. Let us know if u need help re supplying

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is a good reason to travel with min/lightweight gear I suppose.

Never lose sight of and keep with you if you can...

Sucks that happened. Could have been theft as well...

How complicated is it to place a bag on a bus. I get airlines losing shit because they are insane and you got those round and round conveyers... enough to drive one mad. *good I have not flown in ages and don't plan to... stay on the ground or set sail!

Unless...

I can get an airship. A classic dirigbile... that would be bomb.

Well good luck. Let us know if you recover your Pieces of Eight.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Even shittier is that greyhound will only reimburse you for up to $250, no matter what's in the bag. I had this happen to me and it took forever for them to actually mail a check and it defintley didn't cover what I lost.

Trump and greyhound will definitely share the same level of hell imo

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
this is why I always bring my pack with me on the bus. Don’t care what the driver says, stuff it under my seat or if theres room in the seat next to mine. I’ve only had them complain once, a unhesitant, flat, confident refusal shut that down instantly.
They don’t give a fuck about you, and they couldnt understand even if they did. It’s like if someone lost or stole their house and all their possessions, it doesnt compute.

Fuck every bus company but the old fung-wa. I haven't taken a bus in years and I dont recommend anyone do so unless necessary.

• Epic
  • Agree

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
fortunately there's a lot more bus alternatives now than there was when i first started traveling

• Useful
  • Agree

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads