Photos - Just got given a trimaran | Squat the Planet

Photos Just got given a trimaran

LostHobo

Reaction score
Hello to all ye lovely people

Someone just gave me this trimaran under the condition that it as to be sailed... Though luck. The boat is in Lund, BC, but has sailed in the past to Polynesia, Hawaii and all around Vancouver Island. Obviously the boat has seen better days and need some work done, but the current owner offered some help to get it sea ready.

So basically now I will be looking for sea dogs who would are interested in upping a boat and then going sailing to... Anywhere really :) I think 4 people could live aboard without to much hassle.

Also, it's 20 foot wide and easy to stand up in, even if you're hella tall and has a wood cook stove aboard!

I am leaving Tuesday to drive a car back to a friend of mine and spent some time visiting friends and family back east, so i'll be moving in when I come back, and start working on it then. I'll be working part time next spring and summer to learn timber framing from a German master carpenter, which should help funding this project as well as give me decent skills and access to a wood workshop nearby to fuel this project

I have limited experience sailing (although I am there to tell the story of getting over powered on a monohull in 32 knot winds when on my own...) , so advices or more experienced folks are more than welcome. No need to be a salty sea dogs to join in though, we all have to start somewhere.

Ho yeah, last thing, there is space around the boat to garden and potentially keep chickens or goat if of any interest, there are no dumpster to dive around...

Looking forward to here from you lots :)

IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1296.jpg IMG_1300.jpg IMG_1301.jpg IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1305.jpg IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1308.jpg IMG_1309.jpg IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hello to all ye lovely people

Someone just gave me this trimaran under the condition that it as to be sailed... Though luck. The boat is in Lund, BC, but has sailed in the past to Polynesia, Hawaii and all around Vancouver Island. Obviously the boat has seen better days and need some work done, but the current owner offered some help to get it sea ready.

So basically now I will be looking for sea dogs who would are interested in upping a boat and then going sailing to... Anywhere really :) I think 4 people could live aboard without to much hassle.

Also, it's 20 foot wide and easy to stand up in, even if you're hella tall and has a wood cook stove aboard! @highwayman @creature @Matt Derrick

I am leaving Tuesday to drive a car back to a friend of mine and spent some time visiting friends and family back east, so i'll be moving in when I come back, and start working on it then. I'll be working part time next spring and summer to learn timber framing from a German master carpenter, which should help funding this project as well as give me decent skills and access to a wood workshop nearby to fuel this project

I have limited experience sailing (although I am there to tell the story of getting over powered on a monohull in 32 knot winds when on my own...) , so advices or more experienced folks are more than welcome. No need to be a salty sea dogs to join in though, we all have to start somewhere.

Ho yeah, last thing, there is space around the boat to garden and potentially keep chickens or goat if of any interest, there are no dumpster to dive around...

Looking forward to here from you lots :)

View attachment 25978 View attachment 25979 View attachment 25985 View attachment 25978 View attachment 25979 View attachment 25980 View attachment 25981 View attachment 25982 View attachment 25983 View attachment 25984 View attachment 25985 View attachment 25986 View attachment 25987 View attachment 25988 View attachment 25989 View attachment 25990
Dam there are some people here who are interested on doing this kind of thing!!!

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Someone just gave me this trimaran

That is an amazing kickdown.
If you get her on the water make a video or two and post up.

Damn I will keep you in mind if I can get to the PNW. I'm a hard worker not bad cook and would love to be part of such a project.

Arrr... I just gotta get myself sorted here first.

Best of luck man.

Reactions: Tude and LostHobo

LostHobo

Reaction score
That is an amazing kickdown.
If you get her on the water make a video or two and post up.

Damn I will keep you in mind if I can get to the PNW. I'm a hard worker not bad cook and would love to be part of such a project.

Arrr... I just gotta get myself sorted here first.

Best of luck man.

Thanks

I'll try and make video of it. I was thinking of making some sort of semi-regular posting on the getting it back in the water process.

If you make it here, you'll know where to go ;)

It seems like these kickdown happens quite often in this part of the world, all summer I met people who had boat given to them. Never though I'd be one of them though haha

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

LostHobo

Reaction score
Just a little though I had today to anyone who would like to join this venture: I don't care that you don't already have the skills of a weathered seafarer but I do care that you show dedication in learning the skills, getting your gear sorted and have a cooperative mindset. From the little experience I have, life at sea is risky in the best of condition, so the crew will have to rely on each other for every task. These include, but are not limited to, cooking, cleaning, navigating, maintenance of the boat/gear, fishing, tying REAL nautical knot with one hand (yes in bad weather you want to hold the boat as you do your normal stuff) and know that all will have to be competent at all these task so that if one is unable to perform is task the other can take care of it. Needless to say that any uncooperative attitude or unwillingness to learn/perform needed task will earn you to be left to your own device at the nearest dock ::eyepatch::

Ideally we would get to fix the boat and learn/consolidate these skills together, but life is life so what ever... I'm also almost certain I'm going to Salt assault fest this winter, it just seems to good to pass :p

Artistic and musical inclination is strongly encouraged :)

I will post picts of my last sailing trip solo, the few I have, so peps can see in what environment they would get to learn to sail in.

I hope some of ye will come out here for it :)

D

Deleted member 13433

we are at opposite sides of the country so unfortunately all I can do is oserve and offer advice from a distance, however you have the right attitude with everything you are saying.

My first job was working on a fishing boat.
I guess one could say that life begins in twenty foot seas, but now that I am older I prefer still water canoeing :)

Good Luck friend, I sincerely hope this boat provides a lifetime of sailing for you.
Again, that's a great looking boat you got there - inside and out.

Cheers..................

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads