Joining a fraternal order to facilitate nomadism. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Joining a fraternal order to facilitate nomadism.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I would be lying if I said I didn't throw down a casserole good enough to give Ree Drummond a run for her money. As well as being proficient in the mastery of all homemaking arts; I can remove stains from nearly anything and literally darn a sock.

However, because just because I serve up killer baked ziti doesn't mean that's all I can do.

Obviously this is a subject that grinds my gears lol. The old school of thought is very much current here unfortunately. The snide, bigoted and antiquated characters I encountered do not deserve my casseroles nor my intellectual input.

That sounds like my kind of fraternal order! I quit drinking 7 years ago but I used to love whisky (and all booze).. probably a tad too much. Nothing like drinking wine out of an aluminum water bottle at PTA meetings.

You're awesome. No, they most certainly DONT deserve any of your casserole! Or muffins, for that matter.::singing::

Did you just say ''literally darn"??!! I was imagining you sitting there with a ball of yarn, cursing furiously at an old limp Argyle. ::hilarious::

We could talk forever about the sociology of organizations, demographics and culture, -what they are and how they make people act towards each other.
When I imagine the 1950s, its always either in a Marlon Brando The Wild Ones sense, or a Graham Greene-esque world of tiki bars, tweed coats, and cheap cigarettes. But there are still a huge contingent in society: The Warren Buffetts, Dick Cheneys, etc., who were young then, remember it fondly (not the threat of nuclear winter but fondly)...to many hyper-conservatives, the era before 1969 was an era when ethnic minorities and women knew their place, and middle class, middle American, dudes were in power and wealthy....

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
So I have sent a couple e-mails to ioof about visiting the lodge in my city. Is it wrong of me to swear in/take an oath or whatever they do if I lie about believing in a supreme being? It is apparently a requirement. I do believe they don't care however about what supreme being. Just that I do believe in one.

I do not believe in a God of any kind. But I do believe in what the "Odd fellows" stand for otherwise. The overall idea is to help people and do good for the less fortunate. I would like to work with this fraternal order and assist the less fortunate. I do not however, as I have previously stated, believe in a higher power. Is it immoral to lie about it? Perhaps more of an issue, does lying about a core ideal of a fraternal order undermine the fraternity therefore belittle what it is they stand for?

Last edited:

dirty andy

Reaction score
I am a Freemason and while there is so much that the craft could give and does give to their communities I also have my problems with it. Once you see what is though, free breakfasts, the utmost respect for widows, children with burns, the blind, , it's daunting. I am not making it seem like something it isn't, politically at least for me there's plenty of bullshit.

But I see the good they do of their own accord, and I guess I've always been a fraternal kinda guy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads