Joining a fraternal order to facilitate nomadism.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Would it be worthwhile for us to join some fraternal org. in order to get (and give) lodging, food, cigs, alcohol, etc., wherever we go? Is anyone on STP a Freemason, IOOF, or somesuch and has input on this?

I'm thinking it could be like couchsurfing but without all the bullshit. I know from experience that showing up at a vfw or am legion and asking for work or food/beer in exchange for work is awesome.

http://www.ioof.org/IOOF/Get Involv...spx?hkey=ede6dfd1-2d0e-43d3-95e9-8612313cc9a4

https://www.woodmen.org/Members/chapters-community.cfm

https://www.freemason.org/discoverMasonry/applying.htm

a_masons_pic1.jpg

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro
D

Deleted member 17306

I believe in freemasonry a certain degree must be obtained before you can just show up at a random lodge and receive food/lodging/whatever. I'm not 100% on that, though. Same goes for A∴A∴ and O.T.O.

Becoming a member of http://www.elks.org is fairly easy and entitles you to a warm reception at any lodge you may pop in at.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
I can find out more info about the elks (I know a few) but I'm positive that as a member you can show up at any lodge and park/camp in their parking lot/use facilities and possibly even have RV hookups. So ideal for rubbertramps.

I love Elks! :) Theres an Elk Mafia in Aspen. Good peepz. :)

K

Kim Chee

Not really a fraternal organization, but for a few dollars they'll let anybody here join:p

AAA (American Automobile Association) has some benefits which may benefit rubbertramps. Be sure to read the fine print before you pay up.

Coverage for you as a driver or passenger
On-the-spot mobile battery replacement
One toll-free call gives you 24-hour coverage for:

• Towing
  • Flat tire change
  • Emergency gas delivery
  • Emergency auto lockout service
  • Minor mechanical first aid
  • Battery testing, jump-start, and replacement

• Useful
Reactions: Bedheadred

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
What a novel idea. I think I am going to go to a couple of these meetings when I get a chance and see what it's all about. I am interested to know more for sure.

Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
What a novel idea. I think I am going to go to a couple of these meetings when I get a chance and see what it's all about. I am interested to know more for sure.

I think the Masons are amongst the coolest secret societies. I've been mistaken for one from time to time because I spout alot of arcane shit and I suppose there are organizational buzzwords...

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Reaction score
My ex-husband was a 32nd degree freemason, a member of both the Scottish and York rite. He was really into the esoteric aspect but here our part of Oklahoma; if a man is not a mason then it is on purpose. I only ever heard of one black ball (rejection) occurring. Getting in is kind of like rushing for a fraternity, you have an older member teach you basics and then everyone votes. The dues are a pain in the ass. To remain a current member you must pay "blue lodge dues" either annually or every 6 months.
The only hiccup in this scenario is that when traveling, other lodges would be inquisitive about your involvement and level of participation in your home lodge (I forget the fancy word for that).

My personal issue with the order is obvious misogyny; the fact that I was only allowed to bake casseroles and do booster club bullshit but not be allowed to actually join... pissed me smooth the fuck off.

OakTreeHopper

Reaction score
My ex-husband was a 32nd degree freemason, a member of both the Scottish and York rite. He was really into the esoteric aspect but here our part of Oklahoma; if a man is not a mason then it is on purpose. I only ever heard of one black ball (rejection) occurring. Getting in is kind of like rushing for a fraternity, you have an older member teach you basics and then everyone votes. The dues are a pain in the ass. To remain a current member you must pay "blue lodge dues" either annually or every 6 months.
The only hiccup in this scenario is that when traveling, other lodges would be inquisitive about your involvement and level of participation in your home lodge (I forget the fancy word for that).

My personal issue with the order is obvious misogyny; the fact that I was only allowed to bake casseroles and do booster club bullshit but not be allowed to actually join... pissed me smooth the fuck off.
you can join OES

Sent from my C6740 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

D

Deleted member 17306

I was invited to an installation circa 2004ish? I was supposed to stay for a banquet afterwards but hightailed it out of there as soon as the ritual shit was done being fumbled through. Grand poobah guy gets sworn in for like the 7th time and can't remember what he's supposed to say. . Needless to say, I was disappointed with what I saw.

• Haha
Reactions: OakTreeHopper

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score

I no like misogyny. What do you do if yer girl is a horrible cook or you need your coffee or highball to be just -so-??!!! J/K!!! :D

Casseroles are usually pretty gross. I refuse to pal around with ppl who are enthusiasts. They can keep their hot tuna and melted cheese/broccoli

If I join a fraternal order it will be something along the lines of this-I assume they enjoy roasted steaks and hopefully good whiskey :D:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Order_of_St._Hubertus

Reaction score
I would be lying if I said I didn't throw down a casserole good enough to give Ree Drummond a run for her money. As well as being proficient in the mastery of all homemaking arts; I can remove stains from nearly anything and literally darn a sock.

However, because just because I serve up killer baked ziti doesn't mean that's all I can do.

Obviously this is a subject that grinds my gears lol. The old school of thought is very much current here unfortunately. The snide, bigoted and antiquated characters I encountered do not deserve my casseroles nor my intellectual input.

That sounds like my kind of fraternal order! I quit drinking 7 years ago but I used to love whisky (and all booze).. probably a tad too much. Nothing like drinking wine out of an aluminum water bottle at PTA meetings.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads