Joined a few months ago for documentary research. Give me any last minute input within...

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Really I'd like to see a documentary about the true hobos of of the 21st century. No, I don't mean a buncha dirty kids who hop trains and fight in every town they get to. I mean the harvest workers, farm hands, stage workers, carnies, carpenters, traveling programmers, rock hounds, flea mall rats ect. who wander this nation for employment. I don't "subscribe" to a lifestyle of being broke by the side of the road, I'm just not afraid to stick my thumb out or climb the ladder when its time to get to the next gig. Anyone can find the drunk group of kids with face tats, dogs and packs and offer them a half gallon for their dignity. Real hobos are harder to track down cause, duh, we actually work every now and then and don't rely on a silly costume to get us free shit. Find those folk and tell their stories, that I'd watch.

I agree 100% with this, and that's exactly what I told the filmmakers when they contacted me on the road. I'm so sick of all the shitty docs about spacebagging gutterpunks that I told them: "If you try to exploit me as a hobo in a negative way, or if this is just another stupid mini-doc about gutterpunks and spangers, they could kiss my ass and find another hobo."

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What the heck are you talking about? Are you saying that if an independent documentary doesn't pay off their subjects, then they are exploiting people? Alright dude I'm not even going to continue debating that opinion with you, since you obviously have no freakin clue on how independent documentaries are made and funded. As a hobo that works on farms and actually makes money on the rails, I don't need a bunch of film geeeks to give me any compensation or money.

Uhhhh you do realize that the documentary is being made for the general public , not just hobos, right? As a hobo, I personally like docs about hitchhiking and trainhopping, although 90% of them are pure shit. And if it's something you're not interested in, should people simply stop making documentaries because YOU don't personally agree with it? And are you also suggesting that people should just stop making documentaries or video-diaries because watching them isn't as exciting as doing it in real life? Are you for real dude?

I could be wrong but I think you might be misinterpreting what @mmmmmmmichael is saying there. Also, try to relax, and remember not everything conveys perfectly through the screen of the Internet :p

Reactions: crow jane

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads