Is Utah as Good as I've Been Hearing It Is? | Squat the Planet

Is Utah as Good as I've Been Hearing It Is?

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Heard a lot about Utah being a great place to be homeless. I know their weed laws could use some improvement, but otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about the state. Is this too good to be true? Are any of you guys locals or have been there recently and could tell me about it? Feedback appreciated!

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
I would stick to Colorado or Oregon over Utah.
The salt lake area and suburbs are some of the fastest growing areas in the country. Rent has increases 50% in the last 4-5 years, forcing more people to the streets. The shelters are over crowded, they closed the main one down town and have failed to get a new shelters open. They seem to be cracking down on homeless because the homeless population is getting so large it's spilling out into the open.

They also reinstated the drug possession arrest policy 2 years ago and started doing shake downs of the areas with high homeless populations.

Here's an article in the local paper:

Quote from the Aritcle:
"It is worth noting that not everyone has been on board with Operation Rio Grande. Some organizations, such as the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah, have voiced concerns that the increased police presence was criminalizing homelessness.
The ACLU blasted the project

as a "hurried and heavy-handed response conceived with little appreciation for its long-term consequences.""

Southern Utah is probably better, lots of public land to camp on and explore. But it get hot in the summers. It can be 90+ for 4-6 months of the year and obviously water can be an issue unless you stay in town.

Daniel suelo (the guy who lived without money) lived in the moab area in caves for like 10 years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11392

This is purely anecdotal, but Ogden, UT is the only place I've been arrested (4 days!!!!) for illegal camping. Under a bridge, no other laws being broken accept sleeping.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is purely anecdotal, but Ogden, UT is the only place I've been arrested (4 days!!!!) for illegal camping. Under a bridge, no other laws being broken accept sleeping.

jebus christy, that's some fucking bullshit. "sorry sir, you're not allowed to sleep without at least 5 inches of wood and plaster surrounding you on all sides"

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya I would say generally that unless you are near the Wasatch front area, Utah sucks for being homeless. Shit loads of homeless addicts there too.

If you can provide for yourself it's fine, but if you need resources or want to fly signs, the cops blow.

I work here, so I have income, and live out of my vehicle. Northern Utah has alot of jobs if that is what you are lookingfor, for awhile

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also, where the hell did you hear this? Because I've always heard the opposite frim everyone

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The diversity is fucking terrible. If you like a whole lot of white people everywhere, you can have it. I guess people from other states aren't bothered by that but having grown up in California.. Utah is fucking weird.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I would suggest avoiding it.
Hahaha,
Utah is one of the shittiest states in the country. I say this based on many of its particular laws, and unavoidable Christian culture.
Who really wants to go to a place with fucktons of mormons, and straight edge hipsters anyway?

The scenery is great, but it's not like you can't see similar landscape in surrounding states.

Homeless people within the Salt Lake area are ravaged with mental illness, and drug addiction; near castles for people with temple recommends that protest for them not to ask their followers for money. It's a pretty culturally ill place, and the underground gems of salt lake are all fading away.

Don't waist your time.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

superphoenix

Reaction score
I've encountered the most aggression towards me in SLC and its suburbs (while I was on a bike). People would internationally swerve in front of me or flip me off, literally just for being on the bike. Northern Utah can suck it. I've also heard the homeless people there can get dangerous, though coming from NY, I doubt it's worse than what I've seen

Reactions: Coywolf

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I heard Utah sucks for homeless. Kinda shitty since I am now home bumming Salt Lake City. Well, in about 40 min when I get there. But I got people in the area and mostly only going to do VA stuff. I think I will have a slight advantage then some of you other guys because I can look like not a bum and got a few extra resources because I'm a vet. That veteran card works great.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads