Is the Osprey Aether 70 a good backpack? | Squat the Planet

Is the Osprey Aether 70 a good backpack?

kecleon

Reaction score
I think osprey bags are really good, I had one they're really comfortable and light but the bad thing about them is they're a good target for theft, mine got stolen a few months after I got it (I was swimming left it on a beach kept an eye on it but was stupid all the same) I think especially here because it's the sort of thing backpackers wear staying at hostels and usually they've got expensive stuff filling it. So really I wouldn't recommend one.

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I think osprey bags are really good, I had one they're really comfortable and light but the bad thing about them is they're a good target for theft, mine got stolen a few months after I got it (I was swimming left it on a beach kept an eye on it but was stupid all the same) I think especially here because it's the sort of thing backpackers wear staying at hostels and usually they've got expensive stuff filling it. So really I wouldn't recommend one.
Thank you for telling me this. I had no idea. What would be one you would recommend? Someone told me about a Cuscus bag but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think especially here because it's the sort of thing backpackers wear staying at hostels and usually they've got expensive stuff filling it. So really I wouldn't recommend one.

i don't think this is a very good reason for not getting this pack. like @charmander said, this is a great pack, and almost all the ospreys are good packs. just because he left it alone on the beach and it got jacked doesn't mean it's not a good pack or even that it attracts theft. it only means he made a poor decision.

@beginnavagabond i have the osprey farpoint 70. it's about the same size as the ather you're looking at, but opens like a suitcase and has a unzippable daypack which is great for my purposes. i generally keep my valuables in the daypack (laptop, camera, etc) so i can leave behind less valuable stuff (clothes, tent, etc) at the hostel, friend's house, etc while i'm out and about town.

the ather you listed looks pretty great as a hiking pack, so i'd say that's a good choice for most purposes. the only disadvantage (in my opinion) is that it's top-loading, meaning if there's something at the bottom you need, you might have to pull everything out to get to it. if that doesn't bother you, my advice would be to buy it!

i've gone through a bunch of packs in my life, so if you have any other questions, let me know!

Reactions: beginnavagabond

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
In my experience, osprey packs are really great.

I've had one for a little over 2 years now, and I can definitely couch for the durability. I actually have the Aerial 65 pack, which is a little smaller than the one you're talking about.

One thing I like about the osprey company is their "Almighty Guarantee".

https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/customer-support/all-mighty-guarantee

F

FrumpyWatkins

I have had a few osprey packs. They are great packs. Currently have an atmos. Depending on how you live however, their durability is questionable. That being said, I don't think any pack is meant to be thrown onto ballast, dragged through swamps, or used as a chair when spanging. Plus their stock zippers suck. BUT as mentioned they will fix anything just pay to ship it there.

T Spoon

Reaction score
That being said, I don't think any pack is meant to be thrown onto ballast, dragged through swamps, or used as a chair when spanging.
oh shit i sit on mine all the time when hitchhiking lol

anyways, i love osprey. i have the aura 50 AG. i was worried about setting the smaller liter size but honestly i manage to fit what i need, and it helps me minimize my stuff. it's the only (big) pack i've ever had so i can't really compare what the AG is like compared to a pack that doesn't have that. supposedly it's a really nice feature, but it does make putting the pack on and off a bit difficult.

kecleon

Reaction score
Thank you for telling me this. I had no idea. What would be one you would recommend? Someone told me about a Cuscus bag but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

What Matt Derrick said is true if you're responsible it's not a problem and they're good packs its worth being careful as well you know it's full of your stuff which you probably baked so you'll be cautious anyway.

I do still think it's more likely to get stolen especially when it still looks new, but I frequently leave my pack stupid places, like I like to swim and I leave it sit on the beach unguarded.. even if I saw someone taking it I'd never get back quick enough, I also let it go under buses you know that have several stops so someone could pretend it's theirs, in car trunks, stash it up a tree or in a bush or behind some junk or leave it at the entrance to a supermarket or whatever store if asked. So that's basically why I don't buy another.

• Useful
Reactions: beginnavagabond

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
What Matt Derrick said is true if you're responsible it's not a problem and they're good packs its worth being careful as well you know it's full of your stuff which you probably baked so you'll be cautious anyway.

I do still think it's more likely to get stolen especially when it still looks new, but I frequently leave my pack stupid places, like I like to swim and I leave it sit on the beach unguarded.. even if I saw someone taking it I'd never get back quick enough, I also let it go under buses you know that have several stops so someone could pretend it's theirs, in car trunks, stash it up a tree or in a bush or behind some junk or leave it at the entrance to a supermarket or whatever store if asked. So that's basically why I don't buy another.

Okay, In your opinion what would be a good pack that will be less likely to get stolen? Also what about this one? Cabelas Backpack

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you're worried about a pack getting stolen because it "looks too new", all you gotta do is get some cooking spray, mist the whole thing down, then drag it through some dust/dirt.

BAM! In 5 minutes, you can get 3+ months of "travel dirt" on your pack, then it won't look so new anymore. Also, the cooking spray/dust combo won't do any actual damage to your gear.

N0MAD

Reaction score
I am looking at a backpack that was top rated on Google: Osprey Aether 70. It looks good, it has a frame and promoted airflow with your back. I think it looks good and I wanted to know what you think of it. Thank you!

Osprey Aether 70
Osprey make amazing packs, as a mountaineering instructor most of my packs are osprey and they do stand upto some serious abuse. A definite must buy in my opinion

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
I don't know wether you've decided on this pack or not, but just to add my two cents - I tried this in a store last week, it comes with a lot of great properties and rests really well over the whole upper body. If you're backpacking or going on any longer hiking trips this is definitely going to suit your needs. Had I the money it would be mine already ;)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Huh, I swore that I had replied to this thread....but yes. An Osprey Aether 70 is a wonderful pack, I currently use it for hopping, hitching, and backpacking. There are not many other packs out there that offer as many features as the Aether.

The downside is that it is a backpacking pack, not a military pack, so you have to be careful about how hard you abuse it.

However, I've used mine in over 2500 miles of hopping, 100's of miles of hitching, and 100's of miles of backpacking. I've thrown it off moving trains, hauled over 80 lbs in it, and shoved it into many a well/grainer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads