News & Blogs - Is He The One, Or An Old-Timey Railway Scamp Looking For a Place to Stay? | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Is He The One, Or An Old-Timey Railway Scamp Looking For a Place to Stay?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
This quiz explains why it's so tough for some of us to get a date. :p

http://reductress.com/post/is-he-the-one-or-an-old-timey-railway-scamp-looking-for-a-place-to-stay/

life-864364_960_720.jpg

New relationships are fun and exciting, but they bring with them a whole new set of questions. Even when things are going well, you’re left to wonder: is he the one you’re going to spend the rest of your life with, or has he simply run out of boxcars to stay in as he rides the rails throughout the country? Ask yourself these questions to be certain of his viability as your ultimate romantic partner.

Does he show up with flowers, or with all of his belongings in a bindle?

Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between a hopeless romantic and a man who’s lived on trains, by choice, for the past decade. Does your dude bring you your favorite flowers, or does he simply show up, always around dinner time, with his meager belongings bundled up and attached to a stick? Remember: If he brings a bindle, it’s not so much that he’s devoted to you, as he is devoted to having a place to camp out for the season.

Does he ask how your day was, or does he sing mournful songs about how he was once a man of great status?

You know you’ve found a great guy when he asks, “How was your day?” and really listens to your answer. But if he spends the majority of your time together playing harmonica and singing about losing his fortune to “the sauce,” it’s he’s more likely planned a future of being married to the rails than married to you.

Does he write you cute love notes, or does he carve symbols into your mailbox indicating that this is a friendly place to stay?

Does your man send you sweet texts throughout the day? If so, he’s a keeper! There’s nothing better than a guy who reminds you of his love by sending you sweet nothings. If, on the other hand, he prefers to carve symbols into your mailbox to let other rail-riders know that hot meals are available at your home, send him back to the rail yard. He’s just not into you for you. He’s into you for your scraps.

When you’re not together, does he have his own hobbies, or does he eat beans out of a can on your porch until you get home?

Spending time apart is healthy, and it’s important that you each have your own hobbies, If your guy has nothing to do and nothing to eat but beans, that’s a huge red flag. It may seem adorable at first but do you really want a future with someone who sits around idly, whittling and telling stories about the Dust Bowl?

Does his name contain the word “boxcar” or the name of a state?

Is your guy named “Colorado Smoky”, “Ned From North Dakota” or “Boxcar Jim”? With rare exception, if you find yourself uttering these words regularly, you’ve found yourself in a railway scamp situation. Sorry to burst your bubble but he probably isn’t the quirky man of your dreams, but is a reckless rapscallion of the road.

It’s hard to find a good man, but remember: you deserve a solid companion who likes you for you, not because your apartment is a source of respite from the uncertain and often lonely life of the rails. Go out and get him!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ha that's funny, it reads like they googled a few things about hobos and decided to make a funny article out of it.

G

Grubblin

It's a funny post but I disagree about it being hard to have a relationship this way.

Step 1 - strike up a conversation
Step 2 - be completely honest about who you are in that conversation
Step 3A - if they're interested then pursue the moment
Step 3B - if they aren't interested then keep repeating steps 1 & 2 with others you are interested in until you find someone who is interested in you, for you, then follow Step 3A

It's a flow chart

Same as 'normal' only you have to do step 3B more often. All anyone has to offer someone else is who they truly are in that moment of their life. It doesn't matter if you have a million dollar roof or a million stars for a roof - well, it shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter to me and if it matters the person that I'm interested in, then that person no longer matters to me.

Just a thought. I'm sure I'll get blasted for some reason. I seem to like the way my foot tastes, what with always putting it in my mouth. In the interest of honesty I've only been travelling for a few months.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
This article is written for straight housie females lol. And sometimes they're into a dirty kid hook-up for a few days without any illusion of getting fucking married and settling down forever. And who the fuck uses a bindle?

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Actually, some people love it when you show up to their place with a pack and a need for a shower and no intention to stay for longer than a few days. Some people love the passing-through traveler mystique and no-strings-attached cuddle time and it turns them on.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Actually, some people love it when you show up to their place with a pack and a need for a shower and no intention to stay for longer than a few days. Some people love the passing-through traveler mystique and no-strings-attached cuddle time and it turns them on.

I can personally attest to the validity of this statement. ;)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads