Ireland - Residency

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Ive got 1 year workers permit to live and work in Ireland (only Ireland). I am looking to purchase a Van to live in and also for Transport/Travel.

I am concerned ill need some proof of Form of Residency. Is this correct?

Anyone from Ireland able to confirm if this is correct or if there are any work arounds.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
You'll need an address to put on the vehicle registration certificate. Also you'll need an address to give the insurance company.

I am in England and British so this might be sightly different to Ireland but I use my mother's address as I live in my van and therefore don't have a fixed address. I've never had to prove to anyone that the address is my residency. Maybe you could use an address for somewhere you're working or a friend. You'll need to be able to collect documents from that address when they're sent there.

I've known a fair few non-British people who've bought vehicles in England and Ireland and they've managed it so it must be possible.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
You'll need an address to put on the vehicle registration certificate. Also you'll need an address to give the insurance company.

I am in England and British so this might be sightly different to Ireland but I use my mother's address as I live in my van and therefore don't have a fixed address. I've never had to prove to anyone that the address is my residency. Maybe you could use an address for somewhere you're working or a friend. You'll need to be able to collect documents from that address when they're sent there.

I've known a fair few non-British people who've bought vehicles in England and Ireland and they've managed it so it must be possible.

hehe - my sister and husband were stationed in England for a while and they purposely purchased an old VW van (yep hippie curtains and peace signs and all) and had it fixed up and they shipped it over there and traveled Europe in it - pretty cool, but I'm sure being in the air force helped get it over there too.

@VanmadicLiving I will PM you - I have a dirtykid (from a facebook group) traveling in Ireland now - think he has a van - I will contact you with info.

<edit> read your pm - he responded to me and says to contact him - he is not up on the rules/regs but his lady friend (from there) is so - good info and good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: landpirate

silenthouse

Reaction score
Living in a van in Ireland is actually horribly expensive because there is a cartel on insurance,
and insurance is mandatory. Also its so cold and wet and theres barely anywere you can park
it without paying and not get moved off very quickly

Flarey

Reaction score
Yeah you have to have insurance and an adress for that insurance. Pretty crappy but the police here are relatively chill if youre not causing trouble and not staying too long in one spot. Send me a message if you're in the west and I'll buy you a beer!

Reactions: silenthouse

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads