Intro: My name is SB.

Reaction score
I'm a 15yr old male that has been looking forward to train hopping out of Spokane during the start of summer. I grew up in a shitty part of Spokane with an raging alcoholic father and both parents were recovering meth addicts. when I was 10yrs old we moved into a 10 wide cabin with 4 people. My sister and I slept on the loft, and my mother and father slept on a air mattress in a corner. we paid bills by growing in a shipping container that we labeled Mount Magic. After 1 year we had scraped up enough money and my father had started a contracting company so we bought a single wide mobile home. we lived in that for a 2 years and we upgraded to a triple wide mobile home, however my dad still continued his abusive behavior and my mom filed a divorce and the judge ruled he couldn't be within 500 ft of us. 3yrs later I'm still here and I've wanted to leave this town the entire time. I've always yearned for a great change in my life and I feel that Train-Hopping is a lifestyle that I could grow as a person with and experience new opportunities I ever thought possible in Spokane. It is the only traveling life style that I can actually afford considering my parent is missing an arm and working 2 jobs. Ive scavenged all my gear for the past 3-4 months and im just about ready to leave. all I have left to do is find a community of people to do it with.​

enxomachina

Reaction score
I understand how badly you want to leave. I thought about running away or just surviving while homeless every day since I was 12...
-
I highly recommend that you wait until you're 18. If you go to a public highschool, that's really worth enjoying while you can. Maybe try out busking or selling handmade art in your local area. You have 3 years to learn whatever skill you desire. You could make YouTube videos, or learn game development, or skateboarding, digital art, writing novels, or anything you're interested in.
-
I'm trying to convince you to wait, but I understand that might not have any effect at all. Just... Be careful. DO NOT jump onto a moving train!!!!!!!! Trains sometimes go through suffocating tunnels, sometimes they'll have security guards checking for adventurers, I've even heard of X-rays being used to find people, and I'm sure there are many, many, more dangers. Over-all, hitchhiking is safer and even then I would not recommend hitchhiking to a child, for obvious reasons ya know? You'll be able to afford Greyhound tickets. You gotta make some cash while on the road anyways, it's critical, so busking or some other form of income will make flights and buses affordable plus everything else, a phone plan, food, replacement gear, ect.
-
I don't know what all to say but I have a lot of optimism for your future, I think you should have an epic 3 year training arc before traveling.
-
There's more I should say but I don't know what to add... Words are difficult...
The main reason waiting until you're 18 is best, its because it's allowed. I'm worried you might get caught up in a legal situation where being returned to your mom might be difficult. I'm also worried you might find some kind of super-danger on your travels... Enjoy the 3 years and become more ready to travel. Stay TF away from nicotine, weed, alcohol, and especially other drugs!!!!!!!!!!

saul

Reaction score
I was in the same position when I was your age my best advice is avoid hard drugs don’t trust anyone, people are going to try to abuse you women and men if this does end up happening get a dog but if I where you I would still get a dog and wait till your 18 I was also eager to ride trains when I was your age and I burned a lot of bridges take it slow and study not only train hopping but anarchy and environmentalism these skills will keep you alive vet up till your 18 avoid hitchhiking and stay present and community with all of us.

saul

Reaction score
Get an instrument I had a similar dad didn’t teach a lot about love don’t sell yourself short the streets and the road are hard take care of yourself and don’t trust anyone

enxomachina

Reaction score
where's a good place to look for seasonal jobs in alaska?

entry level seafood industry work would be on land at a cannery, and I think the best way to get in would be to find someone online who works at one. They'll likely want to help because if they refer you and you finish the season, they'll get a 500$ bonus. The salmon season starts late August so you'll want to have your hired status confirmed before then. I worked at a company called Icicle in Seward for a bit, but there are other locations and other companies.
-
For other seasonal jobs, I know of coolworks.com but i don't know much about those jobs... :/

• Useful
Reactions: stacysadistic

Doc Road

Reaction score
where's a good place to look for seasonal jobs in alaska?

Hi there! So I’m trans myself and have worked up in A K since 2018.
Seattle was my base for sure. I’m down south currently recovering from a bike injury. So there are Seattle based companies that source labor for companies up north. But my way has always been, getting myself and my bike and gear up there via the Alaska ferry system. It starts in Bellingham wa. Then once you’re up there as long as it’s the beginning of all the “seasonal “ work (spring time is when AK comes to life along with the ferry system) there is always work.
I would say do your homework and find a large town to get to and camp out . Bears and other wildlife are a concern. But camping is normal just don’t get stuck in the fall with winter coming. Good luck. And send me a contract if you like I’d love to stay in touch and support even if only philosophically. Happy trails sweet thang..

• Useful
Reactions: stacysadistic

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads