Intro- been here since 2017 & facial tatt questions

ScumRag

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
Just call me scumrag; its a name given to me by my ex. Lives in southern california atm kinda sickly, so for personal reasons (& great insurance) I'm staying put after about 20 years on the streets. Used to live bay area, midwest & the Carolinas... guess I'm happy; would rather be travellin.

Also got a question for everyone- I'm a bonafide descendant of Olive Oatman: you know the story of the woman who was captured by Native Americans in the 1830s & subsequently turned into instant celeb when she "escaped"?

Here's my question: would you, if related to her, get the same facial tats as a sign of respect for her? Just an odd curiosity i guess. Yeah I've got tattoos everywhere already & no i prolly won't work for the man ever again....

So thanks for the intro.

-SR
olive-oatman.jpg

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
wow - welcome aboard and I have read about her. And know some people with some similar chin tats as well. I have several tats but none facial. But hey welcome and thanks for becoming a regular STP member. :)

Juan Derlust

Vagabond
Current Location
Limbo
Let's be candid about your real reason for the chin tat - you get to tell that story (which is awesome, incidentally); you're a living spokesperson.

And if that doesn't pan out, you can always grow a beard & hustle cups of cappuccino down at some Pacific Beach Starbucks...

In the odd chance you don't get my tone, know that I'm an admirer and take it in the spirit intended

update: Looks like N8a already beat you to it!

3C718044-3F6C-4604-863F-CDA426C97042.jpeg

all right - nonsense aside, if you're going to do it, go down & get with that tribe, and get it done by whatever traditional method they used - that would be remarkable

Last edited:

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
That work looks like leo zulueta would knock it out of the park. If i were getting that tatt he would be my man 100%

Reactions: ScumRag
OP
OP
ScumRag

ScumRag

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
So I contacted Thomas Lockhart :

(http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/thomas_lockhart.htm)

Regarding the Mohave tribal tattooing & his thought is that no one is doing the "original" techniques anymore - even in Borneo - and the ones that are are basically only doing it for the cash.

Now I know there's a lot of purists out there but guys; seriously, money is a problem for me personally so I'll most likely just find a shop in soCal to do it.

Thanks anyway!!!

Juan Derlust

Vagabond
Current Location
Limbo
I seem to recall hearing somewhere they just used soot mixed with a little liquid soap and a needle attached to a Walkman motor - or maybe that was my buddy telling me how they did it in the joint...

Anyway, maybe it's time to launch a go fund me campaign
- hell, have em throw in reassignment surgery & go full-on Olive Oatman!

all kidding aside, go for it!

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
It's a very unique, modern feeling, yes?: To miss someone you've never met...
A Simple Step Van wrote on wISDOMiZdUm's profile.
Been over a month. Whaddayadoin? Construction? ~ peace and hope this finds you well
See you later, San Diego. It’s back to the Rockies with me.
If anyone happens to be out that way over the next three weeks, hit me up! I’ll be milling around, playing shows, and getting into trouble <3
Maybe it's time to head towards Kingman... Alright think it's getting hot here in the southern desert.
Be a good person, be a good friend. Guys...if Jack helps you off a horse, then you help Jack off a horse!
Various portions of StP might be offline today as I perform a major upgrade to the website software!
Bey
Let us momentarily pause...for the Equinox!
Ride bikes: drink brews: love the life you have: could be worse always!
53 year old professional guy taking early semi retirement. Not drinker / smoker - normal, sane guy looking to explore and travel in unconventional way. Looking to travel across country and tag along with a trucker. Willing to contribute / pay for transportation. Have never done this, but looking to give it a shot. Based in the Connecticut / Metro NYC area and would like to travel west toward Wyoming, Idaho, Montana.
Yesterday Joshua Tree, tomorrow Sequoia. Right now? BFE.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
CreepyCrawlwithSobaire