Into the "new world"

ChainedNomad

Reaction score
How to start.

Let me start off by giving you all some background information. I currently reside in Pennsylvania, i have no money and no job. Im currently a senior in high school. When i graduate i plan to travel down to Florida to pick up my friend and travel wherever the road takes me for several years.

This thread was made by me, in an effort to gain some information about what i should know about train hopping and hitch hiking. The most i've done is hopped around pennsylvania and hitch hiked home from distant counties. What you can do to help me is by supplying me with information that can help me get started and what to look out for on the road.

First, i plan on getting some gear for my birthday and my christmas which includes:

- 10 degree sleeping bag
- a bigger backpack
- A sleeping mat
- 10 pounds of rice
- A high quality jacket
- 100-300 dollars depending on if i have a job or not

If you can add some small things to my list or even big things please do! i have a notebook im keeping with all of my gear and items i need to bring with me. This might seem materialistic to most of you, but im sure it is all essential. I have about 6-7 months to acquire everything i will need which brings me to my next point.

About one month or two before i leave, i want to bring a companion (pet). What would you suggest? I'm thinking a dog, perhaps a siberian husky or a smaller dog. I'm open to suggestions even for different animals. Also, how should i prepare my pet for my travels?

Thanks for reading.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
10 pounds of rice is a bit much... there are plenty of places to buy rice between pennsylvania and florida.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
also, maybe this should be moved from international travel?

LeeevinKansas

Banned
Reaction score
im letting u know froma guy that survives off a mainly white rice, 10 pounds is WAY TOO MUCH. 3-5 pounds is enough. make sure u pack it well too, bc its annoying when all ur shit is sitting in a bunch of white rice in the bottom of ur bag. also at least bring some salt and pepper, cuz saying ur gonna survive off of plain rice is one thing, doing it without any flavor is a whole nother thing.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
10 pounds of anything is too much.
Good choice on the rice though, I eat it 9 out of 10 meals myself. Stretches our your tins of food to lasting about 2 or 3 meals each as well. I never bothered to cook it along the way, Just whenever I stop in at a place like a friend's. You can also sneak into a hostel kitchen, cook it up, and leave (just make sure you clean up your mess, and don't call attention to the fact that you're not renting there). I've never been full-time enough to bother with bringing a cook set and all that....bit of a cold-food freak when in transit.

LeeevinKansas

Banned
Reaction score
all u need is a fire and a tin can to cook it in. hell even an empty pop can works. just make sure u get the instant kind cuz waiting on rice for 40 mins to cook is almos tnot even worth it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads