Info about me, and I'm looking for some fellow Vagabonds! | Squat the Planet

Info about me, and I'm looking for some fellow Vagabonds!

RileyOwl

Reaction score
Hey StP community!

I'm Riley, and I'm super excited to be posting this cause it means I'm about to start my travels again.

I'm leaving home and going on an "endless" adventure, to not have a plan is the plan, and I'm generally starting around the Olympic Peninsula and working my way down through Oregon, Cali, and then maybe heading into Arizona and New Mexico. But I'm happy to have that plan stray off in all different directions, and going to other places or states. (I'd love to see the south, I'd love to see Appalachia...)
The plan I guess is to be an adventurous bum with no money and just live life and get free.

I've done lots of wwoofing (worldwide working on organic farms) in the past, and I really fell in love with the freedom of backpacking in between farms, so this time I'm heading out to do more of a street thing, get more into music, just get more FREE.

I'm really into music and will be traveling with a uke, and I also can play guitar and sing. I reeally want to find a music partner who will do a low key casual band/busking thing with me for some money here and there. I love folk punk, and a bunch of other music. So if we get together, I'd love to make some music!

I'm wanting to travel like this cause I want to get out of society for a bit, or more likely for a loong time, and I want to experience different types of community living spaces, get out in nature, make music, have adventures, and just travel freely without spending much money at all. Eventually I want to work up to finding some people who will train hop with me, but I'm going to do that once I've gained experience traveling other ways for a bit. Although if there is by some strange unlikely chance a group of experienced train hoppers reading this who for some reason want to take in an inexperienced 18 year old female and show her the train hopping ropes, HI.

So if you or a group of people want to meet up with me and adventure together, be vagabonds together and make music together, please feel free to message me :) whether we get together for just a couple days or a few weeks or longer, it'll be an experience.

It's really important for me to find some buddies to travel with because, while it'll be fun having company, I'll feel a lot safer hitching and doing other shit if I'm with some people. I'm gonna do it either way, but especially when I get more south in the states, I'm gonna be wanting some companions.

So yeah! Let's at least get in touch, chat a bit and see if we're good adventure companions.
See you on the road!
-Rye

Last edited:

Haystack

Reaction score
Welcome to StP Rye! It sounds like you have a pretty solid plan for not having a plan haha. I'm sure you'll be able to find some road dogs along the way. If you happen to come through the bay area and need info on the area or things to do let me know!

Reactions: RileyOwl

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Welcome! Some of the things you said reminded me a lot of myself. I love WWOOFING, and I can really relate to the whole mentality you just described here. My first trip was from Cali on up to the tip of the Olympic Peninsula. The coast is pretty hard to beat. Great place to loosen up your boundaries and find yourself as someone new, someone freer, as you say, maybe even a little bit wiser ;)
Good luck on your journey!

Haystack

Reaction score
I might send you both (Rye and voodoo) a pm about wwoofing if I don't answer my own questions through research. First time hearing about it.

Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

RileyOwl

Reaction score
you should make a thread about it :)
Wow yeah I guess I could. Are there no articles about wwoofing on this site yet?! If squatting is the urban solution to being homeless, then wwoofing is the rural one. I'll do a search, and if it really comes up blank then I'd be happy to post about everything there is to know about wwoofing. Along with some farm stories... :p

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
We definitely don't have any articles about it yet, and I'm sure you could answer a lot of people's questions!

Haystack

Reaction score
Wow yeah I guess I could. Are there no articles about wwoofing on this site yet?! If squatting is the urban solution to being homeless, then wwoofing is the rural one. I'll do a search, and if it really comes up blank then I'd be happy to post about everything there is to know about wwoofing. Along with some farm stories... :p

That would be awesome! Looking forward to hearing the stories :)

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I dated a hippie chick a few years ago and she was a veteran wwoofer, turned me on to the possibilities. NB: Haystack: Many People buy the membership, get Access to the Directory, and so on...Which is fine but you dont -have- to...Id recommend saving that 25 bucks for beer and cigs, and just asking some good hippies for some 'straight dope'. (chuckles at own wit)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
to be honest most of the stories i hear about woofing are horror stories about how the person in question got fucked over by their woofing hosts.

RileyOwl

Reaction score
to be honest most of the stories i hear about woofing are horror stories about how the person in question got fucked over by their woofing hosts.

Yeeahh.... That definitely does happen. I went to 5 different farms over the course of 3.5 months, and only one of them was a shit hole. But, the others were completely life changing experiences and incredible intentional community places where everyone was super fun, relaxed, and it was the time of my life. And I've since learned how to detect and avoid most of the shit places. The bad farm I went to was a really spontaneous decision, I had hardly talked with the hosts, and if I had read up about the profile I would of realized it was way to small and non-functional for me. So there's ways to avoid it mostly! And in my experience it's a risk worth taking. If worst comes to worst, you just need to leave and find a different place. If it seems odd, don't stick around cause it'll get weirder.

Reactions: Odin and Mankini
O

outlawloose

Hey I'm on my way up to Olympia - if you have any recommendations of things to do or wanna grab a beer hit me up and we can exchange travel stories! :)

O

outlawloose

Oh I see, I read you were in Olympia not Olympic Penninsula my bad.
Ill be coming up I5 in the next few days on my way up to BC. Another time then!

RileyOwl

Reaction score
Oh I see, I read you were in Olympia not Olympic Penninsula my bad.
Ill be coming up I5 in the next few days on my way up to BC. Another time then!
Yeah I forgot to add this on my post but from March 15-April 15 I'm actually going to a wwoofing community farm place for a month on the Peninsula, then coming down to Olympia for a couple weeks cause I love Oly :) then just heading south...

Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to add this on my post but from March 15-April 15 I'm actually going to a wwoofing community farm place for a month on the Peninsula, then coming down to Olympia for a couple weeks cause I love Oly :) then just heading south...

theres a place called sol duc hot springs near port angeles which you will love :)

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads