Ideas on arizona to florida | Squat the Planet

Ideas on arizona to florida

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
Please if i can pick your brains ! how would folks here go about hitching with a dog he's 80 lbs and one pack, 40-50 lbs, I have 0 degree sleep gear+ pad. gonna tarp it. want to go east from the west stay south. doggo is well trained and super friendly and loves cars but soft ... trains are out. we have time to travel and are in good shape we can walk far but food is a deal as is water we drink 3-5 gallon a day I carry 1.25. I can pack him a weeks worth of food OK but I only have a days worth of food for me at best. ( I would eat his if I was in a bad way but let's not drag on that) so kinda have to stick close city's and bigger towns to buy food get money ext. wanting to leaving from Phoenix or tucson and get to Florida while seeing some cool shit. maybe the jambo. anyone with ideas on the route or to just help me get my feet wet please contact me here .

Last edited:

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
would tucson>Las cruses>El Paso>San Antonio>Houston>Nola>Mobile>Pensacola>on to my dreams work? that's the direct line route but... I've only ever greyhounded that way. with a thumb and with a dog. I'm sure its more difficult.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
...You done been around here for a while. Are trains an option with the pup?

If so, hit me up. If not...:

Go to the furthest out the I-17/10 that public transpo will take you, TO A TRAVEL CENTER. I cannot stress that enough. It's hard to hitch that stretch of highway with the cops, and shitty people, ect.

Get to Tucson. Find that travel center for the EBD I-10, near the edge of town. That will almost certainly get you to El Paso.

El Paso is a shitshow. I dont even have advice past there. Seriously, as 'sketchy'as the Sunset Route is. I still Reccommend trains.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I've hitched that route westbound from Baldwin FL to San Antonio TX...with 2 of us, one dude, one chick, no dogs...people were pretty friendly (great kick downs, meals given to us, etc), but rides took a while to get usually. It's definitely doable, but yeah might be frustrating at time especially with your big pup, I'd think

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
thanks for the input coywolf! much respect for your thoughts, but yeah no trains ... yet... maybe as a plan B , my pup has some trust issues that he came to me with, he's mostly well trained, but bolts when he's scared. I don't trust him to do what needs done if hes scared, he doesn't trust me yet, he just knows I'm good to him. With unknown lbs of steel to decide who was right. nah no trains. he loves people and car rides so I know he would adapt to hitching . I'm 100% in to the travel centers . triple T or maybe out to Benson then on.

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
Koala thanks for the info. much respect for you international traveler's. We are going on around Oct 11th, time is not the issue staying safe is, AZ and NM have the longest stretches of road between most city's I've oogled. Texas is nice I'm told and hope.

Reactions: Koala

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads