ideas for assembling a pack long term travel

VtJake

Reaction score
So its looking like June first I'm heading out to travel, I plan on traveling at least 6 months to a year. Bought a Medium Alice pack with frame bc my large Alice pack got lost over the years when moving. I've been packing items from around the house I feel May be useful as I find em. So far I have packed a cheap sportsmen guide bivy sack, a light weight mummy sleeping bag rated at around 40F, a Swiss military wool blanket, a small steel/aluminum espresso percolator, leatherman, my lucky Swiss army knife, small tarp/twine, small flashlight, compressable Coleman packing lantern(about the size of a pack of cigs compressed) batteries, cheap thin poncho..anything else in missing any y'all can think of that is a necessity or would come in very handy? I'm trying to keep things sort of Light weight but imagine I'll still be carrying 40-50 lbs.. What are the items im forgetting about that you can't live without while traveling? Thanks for any suggestions or advice!!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
small steel/aluminum espresso percolator
Unless you absolutely need to have the finest espresso in the land, I would leave this out. You can get coffee anywhere.

VtJake

Reaction score
Yeah im definitely gonna be packing about a box worth of ziplocs and plenty of garbage bags, thanks for reminding me though I had forgot and when the day rolls around I want everything packed and ready to roll! :)

VtJake

Reaction score
Unless you absolutely need to have the finest espresso in the land, I would leave this out. You can get coffee anywhere.
Well it's basically just a coffee maker that's small so it makes really strong coffee.. And with most places charging a buck or more a cup I thought it would come in handy and save a lot of money over time. Also doesn't take up much room in the pack and weighs about a lb or less

Reactions: Vulture

VtJake

Reaction score
With the amount of coffee I drink I think it's worth bringing

Attachments

• 0418160354~2.jpg
    0418160354~2.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 380

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
With the amount of coffee I drink I think it's worth bringing
Fair enough. Everyone has different needs on the road. I'm not much of a coffee drinker so it would be unnecessary weight for me but if it's something you'll use regularly, go for it. Also didn't realize you could use it for soup and stuff so that's cool.

Reactions: VtJake

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Wrap electronic devices and paper items in plastic/zip lock bags to prevent any damage when the rain hits.

I'd rather bring a small dry bag over a box of Ziplocs anyday. Even the sturdiest freezer bags will break within a few weeks. sometimes before you notice. I really don't trust them.

Also, I found one of the most usefull items is a bandana. Might sound cliché, but it does everything... wiping sweat, drying up after a swim/shower, a blindfold when sleeping outside or in dorms, a mask when walking next to dusty roads. It almost never leaves my neck!

You'll definitely also want a large (1-2L) water bottle. Nothing sucks more than walking a couple miles in the sun without water. I found that dehydration exhausts me more than not eating for a day or 2!

Edit: also, I like having my bottle of water hanging down a carabineer from my pack, but inside a fabric bag. Easy access, but the swinging/getting stuck can cause the plastic strap of your bottle to break. Easier to sew a fabric bag than repair a plastic handle. It also lets you use a bottle without handles. Platypus bottles (collapsible bottles) are my favorite

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

Here's all the water bottle I ever felt like using:
image.jpg

In a trash can near you (or just buy a couple, they're cheap even if you have to pay for them).

Bonus: Wide mouth makes it great for a piss jug for one last use.

Personally, I wouldn't bring a blanket and a sleeping bag. I prefer blankets, most prefer sleeping bags, but do yourself a favor and ditch one.

With that extra space you can bring a couple more shirts and another pair of pants.

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
about the coffee thing, I guess everyone can have their crazy items. But me, being a heavy coffee drinker while on the road, I just learned the fine art of pot coffee, a.k.a. Turkish coffee and have gotten nothing but praising on my coffee.

Reactions: Mankini

drynyn

Reaction score
Take a couple of dry cloths. Good for washing yourself. Wet one to wash yourself with (add some handsoap if it is available) and then use other to dry.

Blankets can be good if you are going somewhere cold. Probably more space efficient to take a sleeping roll for insulation underneath.

VtJake

Reaction score
I found some wash clothes that are compressed to about the size of a half dollar.. Put in water they expand. Anyone seen em before? Kinda cool

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Looks good but I think the blanket is a lil bit overkill its probably the heaviest thing your carrying. Might want to be prepared to ditch it. the percolator is cool its always nice to have a little odds and ends might even make a good spange prop. I had one but alas had to ditch it because I was carrying too much other shit. Might I suggest a mess kit? You can make drop coffee with it instead and its more versatile. Might be easier to use with an alcahol stove as well (oh and use the search function to find the thread on it srry too lazy to post link.) Anyways might want to give the alcahol stove a run on it to see if its worth carrying.

• Useful
Reaction score
OK I want to list what I tell evey oogle before they step away from society. First and most important, a great sleeping bag. Don't go to Walmart. You'll be trying to replace the damn thing monthly. I use the Military 3 price modular sleep system or "Bivvy" make sure your bivvy cover is waterproofed with a good sealer inside and out. Spend money on your sleeping gear. Good sleep will keep you going for a long time.
Next at least a 60 liter pack. Spend some reserve notes for a good one. Army surplus has great new gear. Ditch the Alice pack ASAP. Your back will thank you. External frames suck because if it breaks( most are aluminum) life gets shitty till you fix it. I have the Marines combat patrol pack. Best one I've had. Rei also has great gear.
Boots should be well tread and fairly waterproof. Wet feet + 12 mile hike= jungle rot. You definitely don't want to go their but it's not common unless you just never change your socks don't trip.
A good set of clothes that are heavy enough for cold nights and durable enough to last. I have one set of clothes. Pants ,jacket, hoodie, rain slicker are permenant. Socks, T-shirts,underwear and thermals are disposable and should be treated as such. You don't want a lot of clothes eating up food and cool stuff space.
A knife or smiley (something heavy and metalic thats tied to a rope or chain that you keep on you for defence against dogs, yuppie junkies and Cain wielding old ladies with poodles. Well maybe not the dogs.
Duct tape. Self explanatory
I don't carry any cooking equipment. I find myself in areas that aren't hobo kitchen friendly. It's easier getting hot food from yuppies. Your coffee maker may or may not work out. You figure for a cup of Joe you need pot, heat source, fuel, coffee and a cup, that's like 5-8 lbs. F that. McDonald's for a 1$.
Tarps are good to have, but, I just use a cheap 2man Walmart tent for those rainy nights or when chica wants to hippie cuddle. Privacy is a luxury out here. TBC

Reaction score
For a dollar you can get a glaceu 1gallon water jug with handle. This is were the duct tape comes in handy. Wrap once around base of handle make new handle then once more around and it will never fall off your pack. I change them out every few weeks. Theirs water machines outside most grocery stores .40 to fill em. And keep a smaller metal water container for your cup. Always fill your water before hoping a train or hitting an on ramp. 2 days of no water and you won't be going anywhere. 3days no water major pain begines. Organs begin shutting down. Death after4-7 days, but really just two. If you can't move your done.
I like to keep a book with me for entertainment. Works well while flying signs.
Big sharpie or, what we call a credit card. Signs come in handy for many reasons. So keep a marker on you. Marker, cardboard,the right spot and right attitude are manifestation tools.
The rest is up to you. I have a p38 on a chain to open cans and cut nails. I also have a bedroll. It's worth it. It hangs off the pack. I always have peanut butter. PB bannana honey sandwiches are worth the infant falic castration that occurs in this world. If it wasn't for the sandwiches ID have gone postal on a Jewish hospital long ago( I want my foreskin back ).
S the rest you'll experiment with. Blow up dolls make great companions I hear.
If you have a dog plan on carrying more dog food and dog gear than your own. Find good people to travel with and be yourself, you'll be fine. Good luck and I'll see you down the road.

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score

I would definitely bring it. Brewing your own coffee when you're out in the boonies is worth a lot. Worth the weight in my oppinion.

@warlo My personal favorite is still the little espresso, ofcourse the turkish coffee is also a cool trick worth popping anytime more than one cup is needed.

Last edited:

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
A knife or smiley (something heavy and metalic thats tied to a rope or chain that you keep on you for defence against dogs, yuppie junkies and Cain wielding old ladies with poodles. Well maybe not the dogs.

A walking stick can totally be recommended instead of any of these weapon designs. - ofcourse I'm european and have a designated respect and fear of weapons.

At the same time I'm just gonna let you know that if you're planning to hike long trails, a walking stick is absolute worth trying out! It might not be for you, but for me it solemnly and completely made my walking experience so much more comfortable, pleasant and saved my feet and ancles in a way that isn't worth ignoring.

On a nother note you can pick up a rock, or even just act like it to scare off a dog. It's an old Spanish shepherds saying that the dog knows you can throw it, and if the dog is big you can even try hitting it for your own fun. Also dogs know that you're fast with a stick and stays out of reach.

drynyn

Reaction score
Walking stick from the store never survive a tramp I find. Perhaps I just suck at using them idk...

"McDonald's for a 1$. "
I used to hate MacDonalds. Now I still hate them but I appreciate the free wifi and toilet. The cheap coffee is nice as well (1 - 1.8 euro). In spain you can even get a softserve + shot of coffee for a euro (cafe con helado). It is also a source of power, serviettes, cleaning products, cutlery. and doubles as a place to park my home for a few days.

Reactions: dirty andy

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
Why spend money on a stick? A stick grows everywhere.

Get something light and sturdy and you'll be able to punch out many a tooth on a perv feeling you up.. Plus you can carve it out when you're spanging, hitchhiking or chilling out.

Reactions: drynyn

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads