Iceland / Reykjavik | Squat the Planet

Iceland / Reykjavik

Tadaa

Reaction score
hey guys..

I am looking if there is any anarchist bookshops, squats, punk houses or venues around.. as far as i know the hardcore punk scene is pretty small and most websites of whats happening are closed or havent been updated in a long time..

I am moving to Iceland in a week.. (last minute decision) and i am looking for a place to live.. Havent had much luck so far.. if some one can help me out.. that would be very much appreciated.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
i like to live there whenever possible. contact reykjavik food not bombs.

Funny, I was looking into Reykjavik yesterday, just out of curiosity because of Wowair's $99 special from SF. (Thanks for the Wowair hookup @voodoochile)Didn't know they have an FNB. Makes it even more appealing. I do respect how they handled the banking crisis of '08 fer sher.

Tadaa

Reaction score
no.. i am from belgium originally. but i have been living in helsinki for the last years.. but time to move on i guess..

and yeah.. it is an awesome country.. me and a friend we just walked across it. coast to coast , north to south.. just an incredible trip.. the roads where still closed so almost no people.. but the ones we met where great.

came back to helsinki 10 days ago and realized i dont have anything here that holds me back so will try to get a job in reykjavik for a while. most likely have a job.. but i need a place to live..

Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I know one person that lived in a squat there, i'll try and see if I can get a hold of them

Tadaa

Reaction score
hey Matt.. that would be awesome..

thanks a lot already
housing market is crazy out there.. promised a lot of beers to one that helps me out :)

rusty

Reaction score
hey guys..

I am looking if there is any anarchist bookshops, squats, punk houses or venues around.. as far as i know the hardcore punk scene is pretty small and most websites of whats happening are closed or havent been updated in a long time..

I am moving to Iceland in a week.. (last minute decision) and i am looking for a place to live.. Havent had much luck so far.. if some one can help me out.. that would be very much appreciated.

still in iceland? ill be there the next two weeks. also wondering how that worked out

Tadaa

Reaction score
Still here for another week, gonna hit the roads in the usa again for summer.

Found by luck a dirt cheap place to live in town and there is enough work here so that wasnt a problem either.

Music scene is small but nice. If you want hc/punk gigs head down to Gaukurinn. Nice bar with live music and other events a lot of nights. Going from hc, punk, metal to queer events, drag nights, comedy,.. basiclly everything.
They are also trying to open a smal kitchen in this place that serves vegan food.

Best bar in town is a place called ölstofan. Good beers on tap and nice staff.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Is it possible to squat there? Whats min wage like?
Do most people speak good english ?
Also are you soposed to have a work visa?

i've traveled with one person that has lived in a squat in Reykjavik, that's all i know though didn't get too many details, so i guess it's possible.

Reactions: silenthouse

Drengor

Reaction score
Everyone under the age of 80 speaks pretty good English in Reykjavik. Might have a bit more trouble around the ring road, but like 80% of the population is in Reykjavik anyways.

Iceland doesn't have minimum wages set by the government, but rather the unions present collectively bargain for minimum wages within their respective industries, and those are given to everyone whether they're part of the union or not. You'll have to figure out what job you want to get and then look up what the rate is for that job.

You'll need a work permit from an employer or a working holiday visa.

Tadaa

Reaction score
Almost Everybody does speak fluent english here.

No squats. And Good luck finding a place to live that you can affort. I got a 6m2 room for 450 dollars. Got really lucky with it. But i have enough friends ( locals and foreigners) still looking for a place to live and basiclly its hard to find something under 800 dolars.
In summer you could live in a car. But it is cold and windy as fuck the last few weeks ( beautifull tho :)

Minimum wage. Well as drengor said. Their is none. But there are set wages by the union.
I work as a server and when i moved here they offered me less money then i made in finland. ( worked my way up in 4 years from dishwashing to serving in a michelin star restaurant and making ok money in finland to just going back to working for shit money.) but finally i found a good paying boss:)
Also.. if you are not looking to get a job in tourism as a server, housekeeper, receptionist, tourguide,... good luck finding a job.

If you re irish. As your profile says where you re located. You can just come here. Find a job and get a social number through work. Takes a few days but you can start working.

I have typed this before i think in the other icelandic thread that there is.. @Matt Derrick : is there a way to merge these two together ?

Sorry for the negative undertone i might give. Had a heavy day at work with people complaining how expensive iceland ( tourist telling the prices are crazy and compairing it to new orleans?!? No dollar pbr's here my man.. 8 dollar Gull is the cheapest you find on happy hour.., locals complaining how there is no service in icelandic at restaurants and i am trying to survive on 50 dollars for the last 2 weeks. Ok. The last part is kind of fun as i started dumpaterdiving again and quit drinking.

Btw.send me a message or ask questions here if you want more info

Last edited:

jimi

Reaction score
This thread might be dead, but I'll be spending a day in Reykjavik in January! I've got a 25 hour layover on the way home from the UK, and could potentially stay longer (I heard a rumor that the airline will sometimes extend your layover up to a week if you ask, no charge)! It's gonna be dark n cold and I'm excited to make the best of it.

Any suggestions for non yuppie-tourist shit to get up to? Things to see, places to visit, cheap food? Venues, coffee joints, infoshops, etc?

6 sous

Reaction score
This thread might be dead, but I'll be spending a day in Reykjavik in January! I've got a 25 hour layover on the way home from the UK, and could potentially stay longer (I heard a rumor that the airline will sometimes extend your layover up to a week if you ask, no charge)! It's gonna be dark n cold and I'm excited to make the best of it.

Any suggestions for non yuppie-tourist shit to get up to? Things to see, places to visit, cheap food? Venues, coffee joints, infoshops, etc?

Hey, are you still in iceland? Have you find nice place finally?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads