I wanna go out west where i belong.

overtheedge

Reaction score
hey. im kat. I live in memphis, tn but i grew up in the northwest(seattle mostly).Ive been itching to get out of memphis ever since we moved here. Having parents who dissaprove of everything i do does not help the situation at all. I dropped out of high school earlier this year and attemped to "runaway" for the second time. Needless to say i got stopped by the police and now im back at home, working at my dad's store for $2.15 an hour (this is not illegal because im not 16 dont have an application filled out with him or whatever. but its still shitty. i work as a cook/cashier/waitress/barista. all in one, thats me.) Ive managed to save up some money and plan on leaving town as soon as i can, heading west. This would be my third "runaway" attempt and if i get stopped again i dont think i will be able to handle it.

Any Advice is well appreciated.
--kat

P

Pheonix

the main problem is your age. hitchhikers get stopped by the cops all the time and if the cops find out your a runaway they will put you in a juvenile detention center (a.k.a. kiddie jail) and get a hold of your parents to come get you. most minors I know that can get away with that either have parents that will allow them to go traveling (they bitch at the cops when they call) or they steal an older sibling's ID (usually with the sibling in on it)

xbocax

Reaction score
I usually don't reply to intro's but the Ramones quote is muy bueno :]
Anywho, Yah just wait it out, find some hobbies, finish school, do a bunch of research, maybe get emancipated if its that bad?
From what i know i wouldn't think the road is all that much better than your current situation for someone your age
establish yourself and get good at something that will keep you occupied for now and you can take with you on the road
examples uhm- wood carving, instrument, further education, internships, volunteer work
you get the picture
good luck and sorry about the uptight rentals

LeilaniRose

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I say wait to. Shit can get pretty bad when your under 18 and on your own. I know from experience. Dude, just wait it out, youll be better off. Fuck man, even I graduated, but I did it for me and no one else. Get your ged or go back to school, wait it out man, youll be better off and you wont have to worry about getting arrested and shipped home every second of the day. Believe me, it sucks.

Fever

Reaction score
If returning to school is THAT immensely incomprehensible, just get your GED. The sooner you get it, the better. Really. GED programs can be ridiculously flaky (this depends on the program, of course) and often call for extra measures on your part simply because you're a minor. It should be really easy to pass since you just now dropped out, but if you wait two years, you'll be having to put in some extra effort as far as the actual test material goes, because let's face it- a lot of things you learn in school you never use, and since you aren't using them daily anymore, you'll forget them easily. (Because Pythagorean Theorem is certainly something applicable to daily life, haha.)
Oh, and be glad you've got a job at all. There are so many people out there who don't have them but need them desperately.
Just hang in there, and keep your mind on your goals.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads