Photos - I took a photo with shoestring last night | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Photos I took a photo with shoestring last night

Hudson

Reaction score
Holy shit! In Barrow, Alaska? There is a new name for the town now, named after the Inuipiaq language.

Utqiaġvik​

Weed is legal up there now, just like most places on the Pacific coast.

The guy said this was in '92. For the sake of time, I would say that the guy has probably changed by now. I'm not defending a snitch, but time changes everything.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah 28 years is a long time. I did some shitty stuff 28 years ago. It would suck if people still held me accountable for those actions today as though I was the same person I was back then. Though I never did anything quite as fucked up as wearing a wire and getting someone incarcerated over just weed but yeah.. it's been a long minute. I imagine he's different by now. I just don't know if he's any better or worse. I do know he kicks it with some racist ass motherfuckers and considers them like brothers, so there's that.

I wouldn't write up a shady and untrustworthy post on the guy or anything, but I think it's worth mentioning when people praise him. He's also like.. the worst of the worst when it comes to e-begging. Making it out as though his situation is so dire people feel guilted into sending him money. And pedaling basic white T's with his shitty moniker scralwed on them with a marks-a-lot for an arm and a leg like he's a celebrity or some shit.

OP kinda has a track record of expecting a lot from people who have helped him out too though. Like basically telling people he's royally fucked and has no gear for cold weather and really needs a sleeping bag and shit like that and then goes and buys a knockoff GoPro instead with the money they send him.

So.. I guess if that's your get-down.. why not idolize someone like Shoestring. Shots fired.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah 28 years is a long time. I did some shitty stuff 28 years ago. It would suck if people still held me accountable for those actions today as though I was the same person I was back then. Though I never did anything quite as fucked up as wearing a wire and getting someone incarcerated over just weed but yeah.. it's been a long minute. I imagine he's different by now. I just don't know if he's any better or worse. I do know he kicks it with some racist ass motherfuckers and considers them like brothers, so there's that.

I wouldn't write up a shady and untrustworthy post on the guy or anything, but I think it's worth mentioning when people praise him. He's also like.. the worst of the worst when it comes to e-begging. Making it out as though his situation is so dire people feel guilted into sending him money. And pedaling basic white T's with his shitty moniker scralwed on them with a marks-a-lot for an arm and a leg like he's a celebrity or some shit.

OP kinda has a track record of expecting a lot from people who have helped him out too though. Like basically telling people he's royally fucked and has no gear for cold weather and really needs a sleeping bag and shit like that and then goes and buys a knockoff GoPro instead with the money they send him.

So.. I guess if that's your get-down.. why not idolize someone like Shoestring. Shots fired.

I'm advocating for a 'OH NO HE DI'INT!!!' emoji 🤣

Salonist7

Reaction score
I dont condone snitching but that's an article from 10 years ago. C'mon folks we have all done things were not proud of.

Nobody's perfect if there was any reason I would not respect anyone it wouldn't be for what they've done. But for not recognizing their mistakes. Holding sh# like that against people is toxic behavior just saying guys.
i helped him on ebay, sent funds for meds,helped him with his class b rental rules in tennessee,spoke to him about he could earn income,spoke to him about monetizing his channel if he was allowed,sent links
came across this channel and asked if there is any truth to the alaska story
i was blocked.just read it's a given the only reason he is in iowa,is that he knows he will be crowned king
he posted this on the community channel

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
did you see a promo video
he had terminal cancer
a promo video where??? you're going to have to be MUCH more detailed than that.

Salonist7

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but where did he post this? I don't understand.

Hobo Shoestring
2 days ago (edited)
I've been quite quiet lately and on the downlow for a certain reason but I should arrive in Britt Wednesday evening! When I get there I'll be approaching very hidden and if it looks like there's one official vehicle or unmarked car I'm bailing and turning around and not going. I don't want to end up king of the jail cot. Sorry for the absence.
Show less

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Salonist7

Reaction score
Hobo Shoestring2 days ago (edited)
I've been quite quiet lately and on the downlow for a certain reason but I should arrive in Britt Wednesday evening! When I get there I'll be approaching very hidden and if it looks like there's one official vehicle or unmarked car I'm bailing and turning around and not going. I don't want to end up king of the jail cot. Sorry for the absence.
Show less
go to his youtube channel and read his community posts
as of today august 12 2021
it is the 7th post down

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So he's still dying of cancer four and a half years later? I don't know a whole lot about cancer but I'd say he's giving it hell if that's factual. Especially dying of cancer while traveling hard in less than ideal conditions a lot of times. Can't help but question the legitimacy of this claim.

• Agree

Salonist7

Reaction score
here is the 2021 hobo king
national hobo king convention
there's a response by shoestring on not being king of the hobos

Pinned by Jaw Tooth

Hobo Shoestring

5 days ago
Yeah Britt doesn't care about how many miles a hobo rides or how many years ridden; it's all about flare. I'll never go back if it's political like this

Last edited:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The whole thing seems corny to me but that being said- Yanno, maybe they judge based on a persons merits. It doesn't take a whole lot of digging to uncover some pretty unsavory stuff about ol 5hoe5tring. Maybe he should try out for King of the Snitches. He'd be facing off against 6ix9ine though. That's some stiff competition.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
He'd be facing off against 6ix9ine though.
sounds vaguely familiar.

on the britt hobo king tho... i've never been so this is 3rd person anecdotal, but it seems like something mostly for tourists. i saw a video a few years back where some hippie girl was voted hobo queen and im pretty certain she'd never ridden a train ever. the vote on that one seemed to be more centered around her good looks than anything else. so yeah, i wouldn't take that event too seriously.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Matt Derrick You should watch the video where they vote in the hobo queen. It's literally-

1 woman who's been coming to Britt for 25 years but doesn't live the hobo life in any way whatsoever.

1 Retired English teacher who's dad lived the life and she heard some hobo stories. Apparently she thought dropping the words "rubber baby buggy bumpers" was somehow gonna win over the "hobo" crowd and win her the crown.

1 Obnoxiously annoying national park tour guide who's collected and took home wood from a jungle once as a souvenir and she considers her life living the "hobo code"

1 who went to a jungle once in 1994. She tried to use crocodile tears to win over the crowd.

1 who's ridden freight before but doesn't anymore but she loves everyone there so that's something.

And

1 actual train rider with 3 years of freight riding. She said she's been to 57 states which is interesting. I think(hope) she meant states plus Canadian provinces though.

• Useful

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
(for anyone that cares)

going all the way back to the top of this thread - I think the guy meant to type SELF - styled forum censors rather than SEL - styled... which would then make sense from his bullshit angle...

Yeah I later put that together. That's all it could possibly mean, right. OP hasn't been around since then, I guess I chased him off. I regret nothing.

HiLineWinterFuneral

Reaction score
here is the 2021 hobo king
national hobo king convention
there's a response by shoestring on not being king of the hobos

Pinned by Jaw Tooth

Hobo Shoestring

5 days ago
Yeah Britt doesn't care about how many miles a hobo rides or how many years ridden; it's all about flare. I'll never go back if it's political like this

First off I’ve seen shoestring tag “90’s” just 7 years ago in laurel MT. Every place you here him talk about being years ago will have a brand new sharpie or paint marker Walmart has only had for 10 years “sign in”. It is true the old few around know him but not that well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads