I sing the praises of BED ROLLS! | Squat the Planet

I sing the praises of BED ROLLS!

D

Deleted member 14481

I noticed something;

I see a lot of credit going to sleeping bags, but let's talk about bed rolls for a second. ::soapbox:: Before I started traveling, when I was a whee - in fact, I learned how to make a bed roll. I mean, the SMALLEST, makeshifty-est bed roll type thing. I feel like a bed roll would be good with a tarp to put over and under it, and cords to keep it together and closed.

It can be customized to one's style, easily. The size and weight can be adjusted with the bedding. It's easier to replace, as thrift and dollar stores usually have bedding. At the very least: yoga mat, sheet, thin blanket, and flat pillow. Everything is better with a tarp, but the yoga mat and tarp can be substituted with cardboard boxes. ::nurse:: Holding it can be composed of belts and cords, and it depends on how one wants to carry it.

Show some bed roll love! ::singing::

Last edited:

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
I've never had one! cause I've always had a sleeping bag..but next time I'm out in the bush I wanna try to make my own bedroll, to compare! Thanks for the thought

Reactions: Mankini

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I just sprung for an ultralight quilt, goes down to 45 degrees and weighs a pound. It has a foot box that slides into my pad, as well as little pockets on the upper corners and a series of loops to tie the quilt underneath. Pretty neat setup and much lighter than a sleeping bag. Also got a high tek sheet that adds 15 degrees warmth to the setup, weighs 15oz. Total sleep system weight is 2lb 10oz. I don't fuck around with sleeping and with heavy shit.

Joni

Reaction score
I sleep on a bed roll everyday. Traditional mattresses are not comfortable anymore after sleeping on one for so many years on the road. Careful, making a bed roll can be an addictive habit ;) I have fallen in love with old cowboy style bed rolls of canvas and wool as of late.

Joni

Reaction score
well its a thermarest base camp $80 but tottally cush and worth the 3lbs for these old bones.
http://www.rei.com/product/848567/therm-a-rest-basecamp-sleeping-pad

Vintage Baron Woolen Mills Rising Sun 100% Wool Blanket ca. 1930's- free from a donation bin; it warm down to about 30deg after that you need a hot water bottle. i cold washed and brushed the blanket out with a boar bristle brush when dry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Baron-woolen-mills-rising-sun-peach-aqua-cream-wool-blanket-warm-winter-/351513418171?hash=item51d7d519bb&nma=true&si=HLNqxM%2BpKWGrWNDe3xxGu4LW%2FmQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

vintage "troy snuggler" horse 100% wool blanket, the kinda that goes under a horse saddle, anyway it was made around 1900-1920. it helps keeping the legs and feet warm. lots of info here on blankets.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/rugs-and-textiles/blankets

Oh! ani i line the large wool blanket with a soft cotton sheet sewn down on the side.

add my down pillow and a stuffy. tootally good to go for a nap :D All in all its a bit heavy but if you are rockin a haversack and bedroll its a non issue.

pic is of my gear minus the bed roll straps that i made out of canvas and D-rings.
Also mising a canvas tarp... i'll prbly have to sew one.. http://www.buckstitchcanvas.com/cowboy-bed-rolls

Attachments

• wool bed roll.JPG
    wool bed roll.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 444
  • Sad

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
something cool is that you can find small down quilts cheap thrift stores, on occasion..
i'm a bit allergic to wool, which sucks, but the stuff is strong..
does anyone know which wools give the best loft/compression ratio..? that is, which wools are stiffest?

interestingly, memory foam is *very* compensable..

i've always thought a bedroll is a 2 or more blanket/ground cloth assembly..
i would think, if you can use it, that a coarse wool assembly is best.
i know some wools cloths are are looser weaves, for whatever reasons...

& what about large animal pelts?

i mean.. what did the Inuit value?
if yer a hunter on arctic ice, what would you use?

• Useful
Reactions: Joni

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
i just had one but sadly got rid of it in favor of a sleeping bag. it was basically just a disaster blanket sewn up the side into asleeping bag type thing. the sleeping bag i just got is so warm and i got it at a thrift store for $8. i really didnt want the bag at first because its so bulky but it is supremely warm. besides that i have a small sleeping bag. a ground cloth tarp and a cover tarp also a sleeping pad. but i do like the bedroll it was way lighter than my sleeping bag and more comfortable.

Reactions: travelingjoe

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Creature, Merino is the best. Then probably cashmere. Lakotas in Manitoba and Ontario spent -40 degree winters in bison skins.... But that's a little heavy.

Reactions: Joni

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about all this or that. I just came to sing praises for the bedroll with you, because I like to roll my sleeping bag.

simple enough. find what you can sleep on and in and under, and roll it all together with cording tied through the center so you can sling it over your shoulder. Indispensable.

Joni

Reaction score
i just had one but sadly got rid of it in favor of a sleeping bag.

i am with you on this one.... i have two setups... old school bed roll and haversack then i have ultralight gear suited for east coast camping with a hammock. Its so hard to choose becasue i love both for different reasons.

D

Deleted member 14481

What are you using exactly?
I thought about ditching the sleeping bag in favor of a blanket and some more clothing.

I'm in a shelter, so I'm on a mat on the floor with my jackets, right now. That's mostly why I'm thinking of putting together a bed roll. I'll use the roll outside of the shelter, though. My only other option right now is to sleep outside, and I'm ok with that as all as I can make myself comfortable.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads