Photos - I just bought a new 24' boat in Olympia, WA | Squat the Planet

Photos I just bought a new 24' boat in Olympia, WA

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
I finally ended up grabbing a boat in Olympia. I learned in the process i know very little about sailing and less about what makes a boat good or bad. I looked at probably 20 boats from 22' -32'. I looked at Catalina's, rangers, columbias, San Juans, tanzers, and more. I almost got a free albin Vega but the guy gave it to someone else as I was driving there.
I was looking at boats up to 4k and would have gone a little higher for the right boat.
in the end I decided I didn't know enough about boats or what I want out of a boat justify spending that much money and went the other way. I started looking for the cheapest day one ready, entry level boat. I ended up with a c&c 24. I'm the 4th owner of the boat. when I bought it the previous owner handed me a stack of papers including the original owners manual in a binder and maintenance records going back to the late 80's. the rigging was done in the last 2 years. the halyards are from last year. they had it out of the water last year and re-epoxyed the keel, he said it wasn't bad but it was time. bottom paint was also done last year. the fore deck got soft a few years ago so it was re-epoxyed also and feels solid. the boat has a real toilet and not a porta potty. the main sail is in good shape but not new and it has 3 jibs(I think 100, 120, and 150). and over all it is just a solid little boat. after looking at a lot of boats I could tell this was clean and maintained. the previous owner swapped out his new Yamaha for an older evinrude but it runs.
the only thing the boat didn't come with was a radio and a dinghy. it had all the little coast guard stuff like a throwable and life jackets.
the radio was easy, for $40 I had a new 12v radio and wired it in.
it turns out dinghys are a lot more expensive. I thought or them as an inflatable raft, maybe $150. nope, quality dinghys are closer to $1000, used. So I searched craigslist. I kept missing on the Costco dinghy for $200. I kept searching for other options, especially for small boats. I heard about porta bote being a collapsible boat and search craigslist and I found one. An old 10' porta bote for $75. I called the lady and sped from Olympia to Bremerton and had my dinghy.
I bought the boat for $1600 and spent $120 on the radio and dinghy, so for $1720 I now have a boat.
what I didn't mention before was I will be on the GI Bill for the next 3 years. so I will be doing school full time, year round, no breaks . as much as I want a blue water boat and to sail the world it's not in my immediate future. and I realized if I buy a more expensive blue water boat that's in good shape right now I would have to re-rig it and clean it up anyway before crossing oceans. so this c&c is my beginner boat. this will just be cruising the sound. and maybe one day, if this boat life is for me, I'll sail across the oceans.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_173020.jpg
    IMG_20200808_173020.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20200808_172959.jpg
    IMG_20200808_172959.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20200808_172949.jpg
    IMG_20200808_172949.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20200808_172935.jpg
    IMG_20200808_172935.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 309

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
nice boat, i edited your thread title to make it more descriptive.

Reactions: VoltarineBaedling

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats man! Now get out there and sail her as much as you can :)

SammiePa

Reaction score
Website
www.stephenbartlettwriter.com
Thanks for sharing pics. I’ve always wanted to get a boat and learn to sail. Problem is, I have no clue how my stomach would handle, except for the fact during my time in the army, I was on a sling load team and every time the chopper pilot did map of the world, I exited the Blackhawk puking. Hopefully my gut is stronger in water...

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone. I forgot I posted this and have not checked back. Life got a little busy for a min.
we've been living on the boat for about 2 weeks. Just chilling in the South sound. It's quiet and peaceful down here especially on week days. We've been bouncing around spots every three-five days. I have a dog so I have to go to shore a few times a day so that also dictates where I can anchor.

I'm still holding onto the slip in Olympia for a bit. I'm going to install a solid fuel heater before fall, to keep the boat warm but also to help dry it out.

it's been great so far. Learning/relearning to sail is fairly simple and straight forward. Getting in and out of tight slips is the hardest part. Anchoring is a little stressful the first few nights. I f the wind picks up I would worry if the anchor was holding. I have a depth finder that was on the boat and I would worry we would bottom out at the nights low tide so I would check that once or twice in the night. Nothing has gone wrong yet, so I am starting to sleep better.

sorry for grammar or spelling issues. My kindle seems to have a glitch and tries to change words like "on" to "in".

Reactions: Inertia and Dmac

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
To add for anyone who is looking for a boat and might see this.
#1 Craigslist and talking to the marinas directly is probably the best way to find boats

#2 because of covid sailing lessons aren't being offered, at least not that I could find in the sound.

#3 if you are trying to find someone to take you out sailing its surprising easy if you hang around the marinas.If you start talking to people they love to show their boats and will gladly invite passengers if they are going out. I've gotten a few rides just from talking to others in the marina and asking about what type of boat they have.

#4 if you are in a slip and need anything boat related ask around the marina first. Odds are someone has an extra something they will give you or Sell to you for really cheap. One guy a few slips down that I've talked to a few times came by with a pressure washer as I was cleaning the boat and he lent me his pressure washer which made cleaning so much easier and faster.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
To add for anyone who is looking for a boat and might see this.

#3 if you are trying to find someone to take you out sailing its surprising easy if you hang around the marinas.If you start talking to people they love to show their boats and will gladly invite passengers if they are going out. I've gotten a few rides just from talking to others in the marina and asking about what type of boat they have.

#4 if you are in a slip and need anything boat related ask around the marina first. Odds are someone has an extra something they will give you or Sell to you for really cheap. One guy a few slips down that I've talked to a few times came by with a pressure washer as I was cleaning the boat and he lent me his pressure washer which made cleaning so much easier and faster.

couldn't agree more! people love to show off and talk about their boats and even take you out. if you offer to bring a pack of beer to share and help offer to help clean down the boat after a sail outing, they're probably more likely to agree to take you out.

and yeah, i've found that in general the boating community is very supportive to each other and are willing to help when they can. we all have a love for being out on the water, and you never know when YOU will be in a pickle and need help, so it's always best to lend a helping hand when you can if it's needed.

Reactions: Inertia

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
If you haven't picked up the basics yet, I'm in Seattle and could give you some lessons sometime.
thanks @Dameon
I've got the basics down now. I was a little nervous going out my first time but I figured it all out pretty quickly and I just spent the first day doing figure 8's practicing tacking and gybing.
I was mostly putting that warning out for people who are looking at getting a boat and have limited experience, like I did.

Reactions: Inertia

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads