I come looking 4 Advise

smiledoge

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Austin. I live in Jacksonville Florida, and in 1 &1/2 months my probation period with my parents will be up, and if I don't find a job by then I will be homeless. With no one to help me locally, my family doesnt have room to help me, no jobs, there is nothing here for me if I don't succeed. And I damn sure feel like its not.
Here is my situation. I am here for advice. Advice from people who have and are hiking. I need to know what to do and what I need. Currently I am borderline in poverty personally. The only thing I own to my name is my iPod touch, which runs about as fast as a windows 95 and has been dropped one too manny times. Everything else I own has been taken from me by my parents. I dont even own a simple cellphone because i can afford to keep it on. And it sucks cause I'm 20 going on 21 in oct. I've had 3 jobs since I graduated high school, all of which ended on bad terms. I've also attempted the millitary, but it's very obvious they don't want anyone in the millitary, cause the Cheifs there are sadistic bastards. Bootcamp has left me mentaly fucked. And I do drugs to keep me happy.
Speaking of drugs and happiness, I have been extremely depressed since 2010. I was depressed before bootcamp because I couldn't smoke weed. I got to bootcamp and a Cheif made me almost jump out a 3 story building to my death. I had never felt so shitty in my life. The millitary was my last chance to succeed in life. So I can have and do what I wanted. And I now realize its not gonna happen.
I have not told anyone my plans, because I know what I'm gonna hear; "hitch hiking is the dumbest idea you've ever had Austin. People get killed" we'll homeless people have been getting killed in Jacksonville lately by 14 year old gangbangers. And either way you look at it death will come to us eventually. But is rather be up and going, and traveling places, meeting people. Not rotting in a jobless Detroit copycat city.
All I'm here for is advice, and maybe someone to travel with. Cause I know my time is already up.

• Useful
Reactions: zapporra

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Htch out of jax beach south on one..youl ind a different crowd and better areas with more opportunity. ..US1 runs all the way along the coast...youll fin beach communities have a liitle better qol..good luck and dont stop moving till you ind what your looking for..

daveycrockett

Reaction score
If you need things..find work..its warm enough to sleep out for one week..you can wash up in the ocean or showers aound he beach..laundromats are only three four bucks..fin f some kind of work..if you try and make it your objective and not get sidetracked,make finding work your no.1 priority. ..theres lots to do..even daylabor places for a few bucks for thrift store stuff to change into or work in...check out this site...all the answers are here but you you have to find your own way...

Corinne

Reaction score
Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
oh man, i wish you the best brother. i dont hitchhike, but i know people who do and they love every second of it. first you are going to need to prepare for this journey and since you dont have a job you should start by flying a sign. hold a sign saying ''travelling broke and hungry'' at the off ramp of an interstate. within a few hours you should have enough money to buy the gear you need. get a strong and sturdy backpack, a sleeping bag, jacket and boots. Also you need a water bottle, map compass first aid kid, a knife for self defence, a spoon toothbrush and bowl. You can dumpster dive for food and often times the people that pick you up while youre hitchiking will feed you and give you money. You can sleep under bridges and in abandoned buildings and parks. It will be fun travelling! good luck!

bikepaths

Global Sojourner
Reaction score
Website
t.me
I've both hitched and bicycled eventually making it around the world. Wouldn't matter where I am in the world I'd have a bicycle and if I needed to hitch, the bicycle would be with me. There's a short list of gear anyone needs to carry, and much of it can be scavenged as you go along. A person can easily live and travel on nearly zero money if you know how, and it doesn't take long to learn if you have the right attitude. The small amount of cash you need from time to time is easy enough to get through work or other means. I don't suppose such a life is for everyone as it could easily be hell and you'll get yourself killed if aren't street smart or you don't know how to play your cards. A good bicycle is the key, but if you don't know what you're doing you'll loose it along with everything else, including your life. As a bonus all that peddling will do wonders for your depression too as you develop a survivalist mentality.

dawgrunner

Rubber tramp
Reaction score
Website
dawgrunner.wordpress.com
Stop making excuses, just stick your thumb out and when you get a ride don't bomb the driver with a sob story. Fuck everyone has a sob story myself encluded. If they ask where you going say Reno! They will ask why, an your reply is because I can. Stay clean, wash your ass. Gather up the tools of the trade as you go. You'll get everything from the people on the road. There are good people out there, not just a bunch of shitheads. I'm a old school hitchhiker. Started in 1968. Last trip 2012 Seven states. Finally I'm a florida native, Apalachee Indian born an raised in Jacksonville. Now get out there an live.

Judas Iscariot

Reaction score
Truth spoken ^^^^ I've gotten packs, boots, clothes, food, and anything else kicked down.. Just spange up $40 bucks and get a sleeping bag, runaway pack and a shit ton of Mr. Noodles... You'll be okay but dogging yourself won't help..

smiledoge

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advise. I feel like in the only person who's traveling for work.
Well not really work. I can't find any in jacksonville. And I'm on the edge of getting kicked out, i have no ine to stay with. There is nothing here to keep me here, so I need to move on.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Maybe key west would be good I'm constantly hearing there's work there. Word of advice you end up homeless in jax get the fuck outta there. There's even a bus that you can catch at the Avenues Mall that goes to St. Augustine for $1.50. Its a pretty good place to start and probably easier to hitch out of if you end up going that way. And be careful when hitch hiking. Talk to the driver before you hop in exchange names etc. Make sure he/she's not drunk or intoxicated.

• Useful
Reactions: daveycrockett

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I recently took a few buses from Miami to key west. I think it cost about 10 bucks. There's a good community of boat punks out there.

Reactions: Judas Iscariot

Judas Iscariot

Reaction score
Yeah honestly I traveled by local busses and stretches and its usually like 5 to 10 from big city to big city if you look.. That and Chinatown busses are really cheap.. Or even taxi dash lol... But now days they just call the cops..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads