Human Powered Vehicle Speed Test in Battle Mountain NV

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
http://www.ihpva.org/home/

These guys are going to be meeting up and doing a speed run through the high desert in NV in a week or so. They've had fairing-covered recumbent bikes do 70+mph there before, entirely powered by the human body. I'm moving too slow to make it there in time unfortunately, but if anyone else wants to go and do a write-up about it, I'll buy you a twelve pack whenever I see ya next.

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
I've always felt cars should be designed more like these vehicles. If they were, they could be getting thousands of miles per gallon!

I know this post is old and will likely garner no further responses, but I find it really cool that someone here knows about Battle Mountain. The current world record for a 2-wheled streamliner is 89 mph. The bike is called the Eta.

Bill Thornton holds the world record for a commercially-produced 3-wheeled velomobile at 62 mph, using a Milan SL. He also put an electric motor in it after setting that record and turned it into car that can reach 90 mph on only 4 horsepower, and it is still perfectly pedalable to 30+ mph cruising speeds and 60+ mph in a sprint with the motor disabled.

Greg Cantori also reached 58 mph in a Milan SL velomobile, shown in the video below:

I own two of such vehicles. I built one from a KMX framekit and added a custom body shell and electric motor, and I also bought a Milan SL that is unmotorized. I'm trying to build a sports car that can pass as a "bicycle" to law enforcement. I want to incorporate the Milan's aerodynamics into my custom motorized build. This way, I might be able to cruise at 120 mph on only 6 horsepower using the electric motor, or lazily pedal along at 30 mph all day long with the electric motor disabled, and anything in-between, or race V8 musclecars at stoplights.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads