How to Make Natural Charcoal for Art | Squat the Planet

How to Make Natural Charcoal for Art

A

AlwaysLost

OK so I'm working on ways to make art free or cheap and I saw this video on how to make your own charcoal. It the same as making charcloth pretty much. It seems that willow and apple are the best woods. I'm going to try crabapple when things cool off.

I've used oak to moderate success but it doesn't blend well. It seems removing the bark might be the trick.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
heh - I originally went the school for art after HS - my preference was black and white meaning pen and ink and also charcoal - concentrated on portraits and scenery (college at that time proved more of a hellofa drinking spree and less courses so 1 semester hehe) but I purchased all my charcoals and they were not badly priced - however I can see where you are coming from if HEY no resources and HEY no store - sooooo - make them. Cool.

A

AlwaysLost

heh - I originally went the school for art after HS - my preference was black and white meaning pen and ink and also charcoal - concentrated on portraits and scenery (college at that time proved more of a hellofa drinking spree and less courses so 1 semester hehe) but I purchased all my charcoals and they were not badly priced - however I can see where you are coming from if HEY no resources and HEY no store - sooooo - make them. Cool.

I'd love to see some of your pieces If you have any pics!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads