How to avoid the vices that people often associate with this lifestyle? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

How to avoid the vices that people often associate with this lifestyle?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
no, no, no motherfucker..the tangents are *good*..

& shit to hell, DEFINITELY rile people!!

& **Bless** any 'holier than thou' attitudes you take on, so long as you are willing to *fight* for them..!!

there are a LOT of shitheads, you know?

just try and.. i dunno.. not make yer shitheadedness hurt anyone..

gabenosecar hates me, & that's cool, because he honestly thinks i'm an asshole..
more power to him.. makes me need to be carefull, because if you fuckup when you give advice, or criticize?

that's hardcore shit.

one wrong fucking comma can cost a life, mofo.

thank you for being wise & introspective...

Last edited:

creature

Banned
Reaction score
& by the way..

time kills..

there is little point in keeping as much of it as you can..

creature

Banned
Reaction score
& double BTW, there are a lot of shits on this forum who have either died or come close to dying, because of what they loved.

they, blasphemers or otherwise, friends whom i love & hope i would die with my teeth upon the State for, though i seem to them too unholy to save..

O read that carefully,

creature

Banned
Reaction score
i'll hit you up, jesus, & maybe doubledown
since i haven't seen you all that fucking clearly, lately.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Steward, It is not you, per se, that I rail against but the Puritanical cultural values which prevail in the US. So much hypocrisy. Pop culture and puritanism go hand in hand in this aspect: Hollywood makes war movies with guts, blood, atrocity and sociopathy. But that same movie may not show nudity, and its curse words are regulated. (PG; PG 13; R; etc)

Many areas of the country espouse these old, Calvinist values: temperance. Chastity. Austerity. Frugality. etc etc This is not far from any other cultural conservatism. It is a general hatred of pleasure, joy, and free-spiritedness which puritans promote. No dancing. No sexy outfits. No libertines. !!!!!.....No debauchery. It is repression that I oppose. My war is with the dour and the repressed, Steward.

My revolutionary activities are on behalf of la dolce vita. Or as Aristotle would call it, Eudaimonea.

I fight for Siesta. Manana. For sipping espresso and chit chat and newspapers all day long, wasting time and flirting with pretty girls. There is no life apart from this.

Last edited:
F

Fanatical Steward

I believe, and this remains my opinion, that moderation remains the best course to avoid moral destitution in any form. The presence of excessive or deficient behaviors, from my opinion, in an individual often lead towards more harm than good.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
[We must go to the Tuscans, the Parisians, the Costa Ricans, and the Viennese for confirmation. Cafe culture. Pura Vida. La Dolce Vita. Many names for a concept which was, and still is, widely embraced wherever free men and women value love, beauty, joy, and passions over........the alternative.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Fanatical Steward i agree ; as i was trying to communicate in my first reply ! i value a clear uncluttered mind as default setting but also value a regular drink and smoke (and maybe more) .... as well as being unhealthy being wasted 24/7 is boring as hell. I understand why people do it though - do you think you could sleep rough in a doorway in London / San Francisco / NYC without drink or drugs ? intoxication sure helps me cope in some tough situations......

Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing finer than a 3 pound cigar and a double shot of Skye single malt in a wood fired country pub. Or a pack of Gauloises, a paper, and a carafe of Turkish coffee. :)

If the home we never write to, and the oaths we never keep,
And all we know most distant and most dear,
Across the snoring barrack-room return to break our sleep,
Can you blame us if we soak ourselves in beer?

When the drunken comrade mutters and the great guard-lantern gutters
And the horror of our fall is written plain,
Every secret, self-revealing on the aching white-washed ceiling,
Do you wonder that we drug ourselves from pain?

We have done with Hope and Honour, we are lost to Love and Truth,
We are dropping down the ladder rung by rung,
And the measure of our torment is the measure of our youth.
God help us, for we knew the worst too young!

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin and nomadman

Hypnofrog

Reaction score
I believe, after looking at various threads, that alcohol and drugs often have a detrimental effect on the people that abuse them. The best advice I could find on this topic include the avoidance of social activities with people that actively use these substances, the establishment, or substitution, of healthy stress management strategies, and the establishment of strong boundaries towards people that infringe upon this decision. What other methods, strategies or tips might you suggest to avoid these potential issues?
Resolve to not use drugs... If you're asking how to avoid getting into drugs then you are already weak willed and being around them will get you hooked on them

codycodnyk

Reaction score
I'm a sober alcoholic and I think alcohol and drugs are a big part of culture period, at least in most cases. Its in music, its advertised, there's bars and liquor stores everywhere. All I can say is developing a drinking or drug habit sucks and weighs you down, even more so if you're poor or homeless. I stay away from people who are into drugs or drink a lot because it can get tempting for me, but if its not a vice for you, just politely decline and its probably a good idea to stay away from the hard drug scene,that comes with a lot of desperation and shady people who might be friendly when they have what they need, but will rob you/hurt you if they fel the need to

Schala

Reaction score
I don't want to do drugs, but if I get into traveling again soon (which I REALLY want to do) what do I do to help with my chronic panic attacks and anxiety? Right now, I have 90 pills of Klonopin, prescribed to be allowed to take up to 6mg a day (2mg three times as needed) and this had been a godsend. I don't know what I would do without it. I know benzos are crazy addictive, but I go to a psychiatrist. I've been diagnosed. No other anxiety medication works for me. I've tried them all, believe me. Even Xanax does nothing but taste like wet chalk unless I take 5 of them, which depleted my stock pretty quick when I had them. My Klonopin is amazing. I can go up to 2 days without needing to take one. Is there something else out there that is cheaper, that I can get without a prescription, or am I screwed and stuck buying benzos from drug dealers if I must have them? Kratom helped a lot, but that's getting banned at the end of this September, so I'm shit out of luck there, too.

Don't want alcohol.
Don't want cigarettes.
No heroin or cocaine.
Open to marijuana if I can find it cheap.
Open to other benzos if I must, such as Valium or Ativan, since they're usually cheaper.
Also willing to try other herbal remedies to help with anxiety. Not Valerian or Chamomile. Doesn't work.

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Reaction score
I struggle with abuse of a certain smoke-able plant, or rather, dependence. I have medical issues that cause a lot of pain and smoking helps me work through it, as well as pretty bad generalized anxiety. I could go on a bunch of other shit to alleviate the same issues, but every single medication I've been on I've regretted.

That being said, I hate being dependent on anything and I hate having everything dulled constantly. I'll frequently try to stop smoking or cut back and as soon as I haven't been stoned for a certain amount of time I start pretty much turning into a pacing, cigarette smoking, irritable mess.

I engage in other fun things occasionally and definitely think people should explore safely within their comfort zones, though. I know a few traveling kids that are straightedge, so if this ain't part of the culture you want to partake in just don't or be selective about who you travel with.

• Useful
Reactions: run998rs

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads