How to ask for a sleeping bag at christian second hand places? | Squat the Planet

How to ask for a sleeping bag at christian second hand places?

Reaction score
Me and my boy lost our blankets, this guy is suppose to give us a sleeping bag, but need to call him and have no access to a phone and don't have a phone card, there is this used clothing place down the road, its a catholic used clothing store, they let you buy items with whatever amount of money you have, I'm on really tight fundz and with the cash I do get, I spend on food & hygiene stuff, wondering, what is the best way to ask these places for a free blanket/sleeping bag? sounds stupid asking, but I've got hardcore social phobia.

croc

Reaction score
Tell them what u just told us.
"I'm houseless and need a sleeping bag but can't afford one. Can I please have one?"
Offer to sweep, take out trash, etc for them if you'd rather not just ask for one for free. Even if they don't take u up on it, I'm sure they'll appreciate u wanting to work for it.

The hard part is just saying it but u got this! And I bet you'll feel wicked relieved once u just spit it out. Good luck, bud

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
"Excuse me, uhm, I understand the deal here is pay what you can for things but at the moment I don't even have enough money for food and hygiene stuff so I don't really have any to spare, so I was wondering if I could sweep up or pick up some trash in the parking lot or something in exchange for a sleeping bag."

Try to smell iffy but not repugnant and look sad. Think Oliver Twist. And if they say no, don't be an asshole about it, just be like I understand and then ask random people if you can use their phone to call whoever all day. And smile. People like smiles. They make you look less creepy.

• Haha
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 23824

Lets see, in separate threads you are asking how to:

A.Manipulate a religious thrift store into giving you some sleeping bags, though you could pay for them, and:

B. Steal from a store using a backpack

Can you give me that thrift store’s tel. number, I want to call them and tell them to set you out with the trash.

• Haha
Reactions: train in vain

croc

Reaction score

A.Manipulate a religious thrift store into giving you some sleeping bags, though you could pay for them, and:

Can you give me that thrift store’s tel. number, I want to call them and tell them to set you out with the trash.

Lmao do u know what site you're on?

Also, op said they have tight funds and need to spend the money they do have on food and hygiene products. They weren't asking how to be deceitful, but how to ask for something they're having trouble with bc they have social anxiety.

That thrift store didn't buy the sleeping bag, it was donated to them. Why shouldn't they donate it to someone else? Especially if that person is willing to work for it.

For real tho, scamming and stealing are a large part of how ppl on here get by. If that doesn't sit right with u, this ain't the site for u and poor travelers prob aren't ur kinda people. I'm not sure how you've been on here since November and haven't realized that a very normal part of this culture is stealing to get what u need.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Aww come on buddy, that's a shitty outlook to have over what OP has posted. You're kinda cherry picking specific words to fit your statement while glossing over pertinent parts that don't fit what you're trying to call them out on.

I'm on really tight fundz and with the cash I do get, I spend on food & hygiene stuff

Says right there they can't afford to pay them for a sleeping bag, the little funds they do get are allocated elsewhere.

And as far as stealing, I know for sure you and I had a conversation about this while in KFalls. It seemed like you understood the difference at the time. How many people in this community do steal but it's on an ethical level. You don't steal from individuals, you don't steal from mom & pop shops. You steal from massive corporations because they're pretty fucking evil when you break it all down.

I don't know, maybe I'm taking you wrong but it seems a bit much to call OP trash over just those two posts alone. Come on Faceplant, don't get all conservative on us now.

D

Deleted member 23824

Lupo, I don’t steal from anyone. Corporate or otherwise.And I do know that some - cannot say fore sure most - have no problem with it, but I know there are others that feel as I do. OP said they had the funds, but preferred not to spend them. If they were here, I’d give them a spare sleeping bag.
I don’t think acceptance or rejection of what is, for some, a moral or character issue, should form the basis for a litmus-test to be on StP? I came here hoping to learn to ride trains, and got lots of help from a few great people!

OP, give me an address, I’ll mail you one of our extra bags.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Riding freight is stealing a ride, just saying.

No, not really. There is no loss or damage (*) for the train company, normally. Not even virtually, cause they don't sell tickets for fright trains. ;)

It's illegal, of course. But for other reasons.

*) well, in theory you add weight to the train, so it needs more energy or fuel. But that's not measurable, obviously.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
this guy is suppose to give us a sleeping bag, but need to call him and have no access to a phone and don't have a phone card

Ask someone if you can use their phone. Or ask in a shop/café if you can use the phone there. Perhaps not walmart, more like a local shop or Starbucks or alike.

there is this used clothing place down the road, its a catholic used clothing store, they let you buy items with whatever amount of money you have, I'm on really tight fundz and with the cash I do get, I spend on food & hygiene stuff, wondering, what is the best way to ask these places for a free blanket/sleeping bag? sounds stupid asking, but I've got hardcore social phobia.

Just tell the truth. Having social anxiety issues I think it's better sticking with the truth then to make up a sob story and then trying to make it sound plausible. Those people want to help those in need, so just give it a try.

Most probably they charge for stuff cause they don't want stuff to get wasted. If you can buy food and hygiene products and perhaps other stuff, I am sure you can save $1 to get a sleeping bag.

• Agree

train in vain

Reaction score
Lmao do u know what site you're on?

For real tho, scamming and stealing are a large part of how ppl on here get by. If that doesn't sit right with u, this ain't the site for u and poor travelers prob aren't ur kinda people. I'm not sure how you've been on here since November and haven't realized that a very normal part of this culture is stealing to get what u need.
Id bet my best scam the majority of people on here have jobs and live fairly normal lives.

• Agree

croc

Reaction score
Id bet my best scam the majority of people on here have jobs and live fairly normal lives.
Lol touche.
Let's rephrase that "For real tho, scamming and stealing are a large part of how ppl who dirty travel/ride freight/hitch/bum get by."
Dirty travel is a term right? Right

train in vain

Reaction score
Lol touche.
Let's rephrase that "For real tho, scamming and stealing are a large part of how ppl who dirty travel/ride freight/hitch/bum get by."
Dirty travel is a term right? Right
If it is it was probably coined by some damn drainbow haha.

Reaction score
"Excuse me, uhm, I understand the deal here is pay what you can for things but at the moment I don't even have enough money for food and hygiene stuff so I don't really have any to spare, so I was wondering if I could sweep up or pick up some trash in the parking lot or something in exchange for a sleeping bag."

Try to smell iffy but not repugnant and look sad. Think Oliver Twist. And if they say no, don't be an asshole about it, just be like I understand and then ask random people if you can use their phone to call whoever all day. And smile. People like smiles. They make you look less creepy.

that's so funny, OLIVER TWIST lol that's awesome, just the way you said that :)

PukingPelican

Reaction score
Lupo, I don’t steal from anyone. Corporate or otherwise.And I do know that some - cannot say fore sure most - have no problem with it, but I know there are others that feel as I do. OP said they had the funds, but preferred not to spend them. If they were here, I’d give them a spare sleeping bag.
I don’t think acceptance or rejection of what is, for some, a moral or character issue, should form the basis for a litmus-test to be on StP? I came here hoping to learn to ride trains, and got lots of help from a few great people!

OP, give me an address, I’ll mail you one of our extra bags.
I used to steal a lot from Dollar General when i was younger but now that I'm 34.I am over thinking with borrowing batteries.I have had a string of bad luck for so long the last thing i want is to get busted for peanut butter crackers by some old lady calling me out.If i where to run I wouldn't get far as to too much nicotine and thc smoking or my knee hurting....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads