How Has Government Lock-Down Affected Your Travel?

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I read this whole thread over again for comfort. I have come to the end of my situation and have to travel soon - whether it's down the street or somewhere else. I'm kinda lost for options, though I'm trying to find a place nearby to house up for the summer. I don't really want to stay here for a variety of reasons and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to leave.

My dad worked for the RxR for more than thirty years and put the fear of god into me about hoboing after 9/11 so I never learned... and now that my youth is gone I'm not sure right now is the best time lol.

I don't have a DL. Can't rent a car. If I could have predicted a global pandemic I would have gotten it, but it's not really possible for me now. My friends aren't leaving the house let alone going to take me to the DMV. I thought about using stimulus to buy a cheap car and just drive it until my luck ran out but the penalties for driving without a DL range from $200 fine to 30 days in jail. That seems like too great a risk, though I know people do it.

I could go for a walk about here in the NE but most folks aren't wearing masks and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Some folks said hitching is still okay. I'm not quite geared up for a long stay in the woods though I have a rudimentary plan.

The funny thing is, a flight to the Pacific Northwest AND a motel for a week is about the same as my stimulus check. If I'm going to be alone with my thoughts at least the weather is nicer during the summer.

I know times are tough I'm not looking for help just keeping this thread alive because I think it gives some of us support. At least for me it does. Stay safe!

Reactions: Groundscore

Bushpig

Reaction score
I read this whole thread over again for comfort. I have come to the end of my situation and have to travel soon - whether it's down the street or somewhere else. I'm kinda lost for options, though I'm trying to find a place nearby to house up for the summer. I don't really want to stay here for a variety of reasons and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to leave.

My dad worked for the RxR for more than thirty years and put the fear of god into me about hoboing after 9/11 so I never learned... and now that my youth is gone I'm not sure right now is the best time lol.

I don't have a DL. Can't rent a car. If I could have predicted a global pandemic I would have gotten it, but it's not really possible for me now. My friends aren't leaving the house let alone going to take me to the DMV. I thought about using stimulus to buy a cheap car and just drive it until my luck ran out but the penalties for driving without a DL range from $200 fine to 30 days in jail. That seems like too great a risk, though I know people do it.

I could go for a walk about here in the NE but most folks aren't wearing masks and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Some folks said hitching is still okay. I'm not quite geared up for a long stay in the woods though I have a rudimentary plan.

The funny thing is, a flight to the Pacific Northwest AND a motel for a week is about the same as my stimulus check. If I'm going to be alone with my thoughts at least the weather is nicer during the summer.

I know times are tough I'm not looking for help just keeping this thread alive because I think it gives some of us support. At least for me it does. Stay safe!
I'll vouch that thumbing it is still surprisingly easy. I'm a person of color and I hit the road the start of this month. Made it to my friend's plane a few states over without issue. Then injured my back like a dummy. Now I need to heal before hitting the road again, but I plan to do just that!

No need to risk jail or fines. How old are you? None of my drivers wore a mask and most of them denied there was even a pandemic, but I'm confident in my immune system and have been fine. I wish my back was as healthy as my immune system!

Anyways, I won't tell you how to travel or how to spend your money, but you don't HAVE to fly if you don't want to.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads