How did you get your road name? | Squat the Planet

How did you get your road name?

Codyt

Reaction score
I’ve noticed in almost every way that I’ve traveled, people like to have a road name/trail name. I myself do not have a road/trail name but I would love to hear the stories behind everyone’s and how they got them.

Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 24782

I think road names should be made off-line, on the road. Typically after some type of noteworthy experience takes place between two parties, or in @Faceplant's case, the ground?

I go by Brodie, which is my last name. But I developed a moniker in 2003 that has always stuck with me "the polaroid kidd" which I copied from "the kodak kidd" the first time I saw his handle. It's all in good fun, things not to be taken too seriously.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I think there is great power in being able to name yourself. Most people never know what it's like, to have a damn choice of title. Or people that respect it.

But here, I'll give you this. I decided to use dumpsternavel as a screen name when I began dumpster diving regularly in Salt Lake City. And I fucking swear, out of every orange you could ever buy from the store, the oranges you would find in the dumpster, were always far exceeding in taste, and juiciness. Thus, I admired to this extent..

Grimy Poe

Reaction score
When I was a young teen my brothers called me grimy. Then when I was traveling I dubbed myself Poe as it was the moniker I chose when writing on walls and trains. Also, I'm a poet, so it was short for poet and of course, I can't forget the great E.Poe whose writing took me to perverse topics. On top of that, some people think I look like E.Poe

...Before Poe it was FOO. I liked FOO but people would put and L at the end of it...FOO(L)...so that had to go.

Recently I have been signing letters with D.K Poe. The DK for 'dirty kid'. Either way tho.

I think a lot about nicknames. I have dubbed some of my friends in the past and I love the concept of alternate personas or names that bring out a different side of you. But it can be hard to feel like you fit into one.

saria wanders

Reaction score
I go by Sass. My girl thought it was appropriate. People get confused by it if they don't know me well because I am pretty laid back and chill till people push me past a certain point and then I unleash my inner sass. They never see it coming....lol.

Codyt

Reaction score
I think road names should be made off-line, on the road. Typically after some type of noteworthy experience takes place between two parties, or in @Faceplant's case, the ground?

I go by Brodie, which is my last name. But I developed a moniker in 2003 that has always stuck with me "the polaroid kidd" which I copied from "the kodak kidd" the first time I saw his handle. It's all in good fun, things not to be taken too seriously.
I totally agree I think the best nicknames come with a good story.

Codyt

Reaction score
When I was a young teen my brothers called me grimy. Then when I was traveling I dubbed myself Poe as it was the moniker I chose when writing on walls and trains. Also, I'm a poet, so it was short for poet and of course, I can't forget the great E.Poe whose writing took me to perverse topics. On top of that, some people think I look like E.Poe

...Before Poe it was FOO. I liked FOO but people would put and L at the end of it...FOO(L)...so that had to go.

Recently I have been signing letters with D.K Poe. The DK for 'dirty kid'. Either way tho.

I think a lot about nicknames. I have dubbed some of my friends in the past and I love the concept of alternate personas or names that bring out a different side of you. But it can be hard to feel like you fit into one.
this is exactly the kind of story I was looking for. Thanks for sharing

MFB

Reaction score
I agree with Brodie on the names need a story behind them. I met this one kid on the Colorado trail that just started introducing himself as Viking Sundae. Or Sunday. Never asked. But I like the former better

@Codyt if Deet sticks, your story of how you got your road name will be you got your road name in a thread about how you got your road name. Im confused.

No road name for me. I always like my name.
But.
My middle name is Felix, and my last is italian as fuck.
I always thought it funny to sign my name Michael Fettuccine .......
So some close friends will call me Michael Fettuccine bc we are idiots.

• Haha

Codyt

Reaction score
I go by Sass. My girl thought it was appropriate. People get confused by it if they don't know me well because I am pretty laid back and chill till people push me past a certain point and then I unleash my inner sass. They never see it coming....lol.
my lady is the same way. Real sweet until you piss her off😂

Codyt

Reaction score
I agree with Brodie on the names need a story behind them. I met this one kid on the Colorado trail that just started introducing himself as Viking Sundae. Or Sunday. Never asked. But I like the former better

@Codyt if Deet sticks, your story of how you got your road name will be you got your road name in a thread about how you got your road name. Im confused.

But.
Michael Fettuccine reminds me

But.
Yeah I wasn’t really intending to receive a name just looking for good stories. I don’t think deet will stick.

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads